• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Forum Operations

I'm having problems logging in and staying logged in now also.
Don, you have some good questions there.
I'll gladly pay $40 a year for a good forum like this, with good members, if it works.
But now we have another "new and improved" "upgrade" and all that stuff, which don't work.
I don't need a paper magazine for nothing. That could be online also. As could the anonymous book.
I also don't need another patch, another pin, or another decal.
dc

Things are looking good on this end, this morning. If you were one of the Members having problems- and are now good, let us know.
OM

Things are looking good on this end, this morning.

Not for me, same problems as yesterday in all of my environments.
iPad running iOS 7.1
W7Pro x64 with FF 32.0 (all add-ons disabled for testing purposes)
W7Pro x64 with IE 11.0.9600.17280
After resetting password yesterday, clearing cache, cookies, saved passwords, etc. and rebooting devices this morning:
Open the bmwmoa main page and log in and choose to remember me and tell browser to save password.
Click link to forum.
Still have to sign in to forum - single sign on not working - choose to remember me.
Browse forum.
Close browser.
Open browser.
Browse to main site.
Do not have to log in - remembered as it should.
Click link to forum.
Have to log in - not remembered as it should.

If just closing tabs and opening new tab back to forum remembered as it should.

When looking at the web address for the saved passwords they look correct.
http://www.bmwmoa.org
http://forums.bmwmoa.org

Ted, Other forums running vBulletin 4.2.2 are having the same problem. One post suggests it is tied to DST settings. That could explain why it is only affecting certain users (their location could be the common denominator). Might want to check forum DST settings and make sure those are correct.

From this post:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...hooting/4172862-remember-me-not-working/page2

"My forum has seemingly fixed itself. What is the difference? I think it coincided with the change here in the US from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. So, if the forum does not account for DST properly, then it will be timing-out cookies and so forth when it shouldn't."

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time last night cleaning out "remembered" crap. So far this has allowed me to stay logged in on two devices. A lot of what I did follows what I have posted in the thread in clubhouse.
OM

Things are looking good on this end, this morning. If you were one of the Members having problems- and are now good, let us know.
OM

Omega Man - Gary, still having to log on each and every time. No big deal I guess, just exasperating and I never had to do this before the "improvements"! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

For those having problems, at the bottom left of the screen you can choose some screen "skins". Chances are you are in VB default. Choose a different look for your screen and use it for a while. Don't log out- just let your device go to sleep or whatever it does.
The next time on see if your screen has the old view or the one you recently chose.
If you come back and the screen is an old view, most likely an old cookie saving that info.
If it comes back with the new view ( or you were using a non-default skin anyway) clearing the cookie should return you to the default scree confirming the old info is gone.
If you get throught that- log in and hit remember me and see if that helps.
OM

For those having problems, at the bottom left of the screen you can choose some screen "skins". Chances are you are in VB default. Choose a different look for your screen and use it for a while. Don't log out- just let your device go to sleep or whatever it does.
The next time on see if your screen has the old view or the one you recently chose.
If you come back and the screen is an old view, most likely an old cookie saving that info.
If it comes back with the new view ( or you were using a non-default skin anyway) clearing the cookie should return you to the default scree confirming the old info is gone.
If you get throught that- log in and hit remember me and see if that helps.
OM

Didn't help.

This is more interesting now... I wasn't having any issue with my forum access until today after adjusting the forum skin from the default. After that I wasn't able to successfully logon the forum. Accepted my username/password but just recycled to "sign-in" status and the default skin display. As suggested, I went to Firefox options and deleted all cookies specific to BMWMOA, now I am back to being able to login successfully.

As an aside, I get a chuckle when I notice users threatening to "not renew my membership" on account of login trouble, or "not getting membership mail" in a timely manner, etc. Reminiscent of the kids with the "take my ball and go home attitude".

Once again, Thanks Ted for your work and patience.

If you come back and the screen is an old view, most likely an old cookie saving that info...
OM

This is more interesting now... I wasn't having any issue with my forum access until today after adjusting the forum skin from the default. After that I wasn't able to successfully logon the forum. Accepted my username/password but just recycled to "sign-in" status and the default skin display. As suggested, I went to Firefox options and deleted all cookies specific to BMWMOA, now I am back to being able to login successfully.

As an aside, I get a chuckle when I notice users threatening to "not renew my membership" on account of login trouble, or "not getting membership mail" in a timely manner, etc. Reminiscent of the kids with the "take my ball and go home attitude".

Once again, Thanks Ted for your work and patience.

Great! Let us know how it holds.
Gary

Interestingly enough, when I open BMWMOA I am automatically logged in. When I select "Forum" it opens a new window rather than taking me to the Forum within the original window (the way it used to be) and that window requires that I log in each time. One advantage is that I now know my password from memory! I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computer stuff and I sympathize with the folks who are volunteering their time to try and fix the issue(s). My son is a software tech by trade. I forwarded Gary's (#10) post to him and asked if he would be able to help me straighten it out. Once he gets here (maybe by the end of the weekend) I will ask if he can write some instructions that will be relatively easy to understand. If so, I will post here. Until then, I will continue to log into the Forum each time I open it. Not that big a deal really. Thanks to everyone behind the scenes doing the work to keep this site running.

Interestingly enough, when I open BMWMOA I am automatically logged in. When I select "Forum" it opens a new window rather than taking me to the Forum within the original window (the way it used to be)...

I noticed that, too. I prefer just going to the forum rather than opening a new tab in my browser. If you want a new tab in the browser, right click on the forum link and select that option.

Interestingly enough, when I open BMWMOA I am automatically logged in. When I select "Forum" it opens a new window rather than taking me to the Forum within the original window (the way it used to be) and that window requires that I log in each time. One advantage is that I now know my password from memory! I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computer stuff and I sympathize with the folks who are volunteering their time to try and fix the issue(s). My son is a software tech by trade. I forwarded Gary's (#10) post to him and asked if he would be able to help me straighten it out. Once he gets here (maybe by the end of the weekend) I will ask if he can write some instructions that will be relatively easy to understand. If so, I will post here. Until then, I will continue to log into the Forum each time I open it. Not that big a deal really. Thanks to everyone behind the scenes doing the work to keep this site running.

Your welcome! Try to take a look at the login thread in the Clubouse section. It may have a couple of ideas the will help you.
OM

I believe the best way to solve our provlems with the online sites is to contact our Board members and Club leadership to convey your opinion about them making the IT function a higher priority for funding. We need professional help either as full time staff or on a contract basis. Of course the issue will be money, so you should provide your ideas on how to approach that issue as well. In simple terms it will come down reallocating funds by taking it from a current funding line or finding a new funding source., such as having ads on the forum (gasp!). I'm not recommending advertising at this point, just an example. First step is to define in detail what is needed, how we should get it, what it will cost and then look for the needed dollars.

Two different PCs using Windows 7(64 bit) with current versions of Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.
Android 4.1.2 smartphone using Dolphin, Chrome, Firefox and generic Android browsers
Repeated clearings of cache, cookies, passwords, & history on all combinations.
All add-ons disabled.
Changed password twice.
Changed local system time and forum preferences to GMT, CST from EST. (tried even though problem started well after DST change).
Changes in display style are remembered, once manually logged in.

No combination will remain logged in if I leave the forum.

Finding it had to accept that this is an end-user problem.

I believe the best way to solve our provlems with the online sites is to contact our Board members and Club leadership to convey your opinion about them making the IT function a higher priority for funding. We need professional help either as full time staff or on a contract basis. Of course the issue will be money, so you should provide your ideas on how to approach that issue as well. In simple terms it will come down reallocating funds by taking it from a current funding line or finding a new funding source., such as having ads on the forum (gasp!). I'm not recommending advertising at this point, just an example. First step is to define in detail what is needed, how we should get it, what it will cost and then look for the needed dollars.

Agreed. You could send an email to all the board members by using this address
board@bmwmoa.org
and include a link to this thread in your email by copying this link to it
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?75191-Forum-Operations
then include your suggestions for their review

I just did.

And got this reply quickly

Hello Mike,

We are aware of the log on issues as I too am having log on problems. We have an IT firm assisting Ted to resolve all issues.

Best,

Chuck Manley

Last edited:
I am writing this offline. I will have to figure out which option I can post this with. Chrome and Explorer on my Windows 7 box are both having problems with the forum. My iPad options seem to be working.

First: Thank you to the team struggling to resolve this. You are working above and beyond what should be expected of you.

Kevin, normally I would agree with you and what you suggest. Not this time.

If the BoD is not paying attention to this cluster __ they approved an email from the membership will not help. Their silence speaks volumes to how they understand and value of the forum.

What I can gather the MOA has (in no particular order of importance)
1. Purged the forum data base of more than 40,000 users.
2. Upgraded the version of the industry standard operating system for forums
3. Attempted to integrate a new vendor system to run the Flea Market
4. Installed a new and restructured home page and related systems
5. All requiring a variety of security actions to maintain site security related to the data bases and the ability of membership to conduct secure financial transactions to pay dues, make purchases etc.
6. This high level cut of just a few of the items in this project no doubt misses many things and ignores the work required to create copy, photos and the myriad of tasks related to a system upgrade project such as this.

All of this was apparently approved by the elected BoD and the paid Exc.Dir to be done without dedicated professional oversight of the project. I can easily accept and agree the MOA does not need a full time IT geek on staff. However, I fail to understand not hiring a contract firm to help define, validate project requirements and tasks, and finally oversee on implantation day. Failing that they have put volunteers and paid staff in the line of fire of an increasingly angry forum membership.

Is there a real commitment on the part of the organizations elected and senior paid administrative staff? Or, is the intent to migrate us to Facebook as a way to save more dollars for the shrinking BMWMOA? Tell us publicly.

Let's not send out the lynch mob just yet. My comments yesterday that we don't have IT resources was more to the point that we don't have a dedicated IT manager on staff and we don't have a budget to fund a full time person. The needs of the business no longer dictate that we have that person on staff. We no longer have a web server in house. We don't really have a network to administer. Our eCommerce platform is off site. And all of those things have support mechanisms in place. The only thing that remains self managed is the forum. There are options relative to the forum to have it managed off site too, but it didn't make sense to go down that path at the moment.

That should not indicate that no one has thought about this, laid awake in bed or wrung their hands over how to effectively and efficiently manage our resources going forward. We all have the same goal - get the forum to a state that it is stable, usable and a reliable member benefit. Nothing that has been done is aimed at anything other than making that happen. Every decision is weighed, discussed, options investigated, etc. The reality is, this isn't just about a forum. There are more things to consider. And, we do have people, including myself, who are talented enough to weigh those options and make effective decisions.

In my opinion, the Board of Directors is giving the power to the staff and the people who have the ability to make it happen. They have managed a budget, agreed to a plan that was recommended to them and now have enough confidence to allow it to be implemented. A temporary issue today should not unravel that. It would be great to have a bigger budget to make it happen, but it just isn't reality unless you want to start considering other things, like advertising in the forum or an increase in dues structure, etc.

Personally, I don't believe this has been managed improperly given the constraints that we face. We have accomplished a lot in the last couple of weeks and we will solve this issue as well. Don't think for a minute that someone on staff or on the Board isn't spending a significant amount of time trying to determine how to make it better for everyone, because that just isn't true.

Ted, Chuck Manley says you are getting outside IT help but I don't remember you mentioning that. I hope it is true and that they are competent. A quick review of vBulletin forum posts show many problems with 4.2.2 upgrades.

A quick review of vBulletin forum posts show many problems with 4.2.2 upgrades.

Is that the .ORG or .COM forum? The .ORG site is for people who are stepping outside the stock installation, writing hacks, or modding the existing software. The .COM site is monitored by the actual support tem of vBulletin. I'm a member on the .COM forum and I wouldn't have classified 4.2.2 as having many problems. What I see are people who are doing unusual things with their forum...we are not. Our marketplace (Panjo) is a product embedded in vBulletin. I had asked on the forum about some issues we're having...they say contact Panjo, which we have done. I understand going to Patch 2 in 4.2.2 might have some issues...we are still at Patch 1. Don't even talk about vB5! :hide When people say they are having issues with vB 4.0.x or 4.1.x, the moderators over there say to go to 4.2.2. Maybe that's natural but as I understand things, version x.0 of anything be problematic...best to move up an install or two to get something more stable, less buggy.

Back