Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Operations

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by t2moyer View Post
    I have no formal vB training. I'm not an expert at vBulletin and I am not even an IT person by trade. I'm the guy who stepped forward and agreed to help with the systems since there is no one else here to do it. The reality is the MOA has no IT resource on staff. We do not have an IT manager or even a network engineer or anything close to that. Should we? Maybe, but it isn't in the cards or the budget at the moment. Trust me, no one would love to have an IT guy here more than me. And, don't forget that most of us on staff and dealing with this today inherited it from someone else.
    Sorry to hear that. An organization your size needs to find a way to budget for this because this infrastructure can make or break you. If you can't afford a staff person then you need to at least hire outside services qualified to help. This might require a realignment of budget priorities but make no mistake, IT needs to be recognized as a very important investment in the future of your organization.

I appreciate your effort and hope you aren't in over your head.

OK. First off. If you are having problems logging in, call or email me directly. ted@bmwmoa.org, 205-821-7205. I'll be glad to help you. I can tell you that my username has remained logged in on three different machines, three mobile devices and three browsers overnight. It has remembered me on each even with a shutdown and reboot. All of this after 9pm last night when I made some adjustments to the system to try and clear this up.

Second thought. With the new authentication system installed yesterday, you made need a password reset to set a new cookie on your machine. I can reset a password for you or you can click the link on the login page and it will take you to the password reset screen.

If you are having difficulty logging in all together, contact me and I will look into it further. There could be something that didn't transfer correctly in the data migration recently or an expired user or a bunch of different other things.

Again, best bet is to contact me directly, anytime, day or night and I will look into it for you. Email is best, but you can call me as well.

Now, for Kevin's question, the answer is "No." I have no formal vB training. I'm not an expert at vBulletin and I am not even an IT person by trade. I'm the guy who stepped forward and agreed to help with the systems since there is no one else here to do it. The reality is the MOA has no IT resource on staff. We do not have an IT manager or even a network engineer or anything close to that. Should we? Maybe, but it isn't in the cards or the budget at the moment. Trust me, no one would love to have an IT guy here more than me. And, don't forget that most of us on staff and dealing with this today inherited it from someone else.

The driver behind this is a switch to a new member management system. That was a necessary change because the old one didn't not work, wasn't supported by the vendor and wasn't going to work in the near future without a significant investment of funds that we don't have. As for the Flea Market, how quickly we forget that you could not receive messages in the old system. You could not search for a listing by keyword and you could not list more than four pictures. That system was broken, too and Panjo is going to be a great alternative. There is some learning to be done, but it will be a gigantic improvement over what we had.

As for the forum, again, the changes were necessary to integrate with the rest of our software. We have a much more complex system than some of the other forums you mention. Most of those sites are simply forums. They do not collect money for dues. They have a simple database for member names and no authentication against an expiration date. They don't have to register people for events. They don't have to send membership cards or renewal notices or billing records or number of years as member or who received an Anonymous Book and when. And on and on and on.

Not making excuses, but it is bigger than just a forum and a lot more complex than what has been represented here. You are correct that we need more help in this area, but paid staff isn't an option, vB consultants are exceptionally rare and I haven't had anyone beat down the doors and say they are vB experts and willing to help us out on a volunteer basis. If that person is out there, I want to talk to you.

First things, first. I am confident we have the right setup at the moment can and will work correctly. Let's get everyone logged in and remembered. After that, I'll be happy to engage anyone that wants to discuss our IT needs and available resources.
    Tom,

Firstly, thank you for stepping up and doing the job. Your explaination of the situation, as I understand you, makes things clearer; an unusually complex system requiring an upgrade and integration across multiple platforms is being managed essentially by one hardworking guy without the support and background one would expect in a high performing organization. One the one hand it is important to realize the sad state of affairs that would exist were it not for your efforts, again thank you. On the other hand it is important for the MOA to realize that more resources are needed to support your efforts. As was mentioned earlier, a glitchy forum will do little to attract or hold on to members old or new. Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 11-19-2014 at 09:44 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

OK. First off. If you are having problems logging in, call or email me directly. ted@bmwmoa.org, 205-821-7205. I'll be glad to help you. I can tell you that my username has remained logged in on three different machines, three mobile devices and three browsers overnight. It has remembered me on each even with a shutdown and reboot. All of this after 9pm last night when I made some adjustments to the system to try and clear this up.

Second thought. With the new authentication system installed yesterday, you made need a password reset to set a new cookie on your machine. I can reset a password for you or you can click the link on the login page and it will take you to the password reset screen.

If you are having difficulty logging in all together, contact me and I will look into it further. There could be something that didn't transfer correctly in the data migration recently or an expired user or a bunch of different other things.

Again, best bet is to contact me directly, anytime, day or night and I will look into it for you. Email is best, but you can call me as well.

This is not a simple forum cookie/cache/password problem. Clearing and resetting is fine in some cases; however, people are having troubles across various systems. I can log in with Explorer but not with Chrome. Apple products have varied over the period of this day. I have been able to login with Safari but the TapaTalk app has functioned sporadically. On the home page, I have been able to login, stay logged on and do things.

Frankly, I fear asking you to do anything until someone figures out what is up will risk any access I have.

Now, for Kevin's question, the answer is "No." I have no formal vB training. I'm not an expert at vBulletin and I am not even an IT person by trade. I'm the guy who stepped forward and agreed to help with the systems since there is no one else here to do it. The reality is the MOA has no IT resource on staff. We do not have an IT manager or even a network engineer or anything close to that. Should we? Maybe, but it isn't in the cards or the budget at the moment. Trust me, no one would love to have an IT guy here more than me. And, don't forget that most of us on staff and dealing with this today inherited it from someone else.

Full time IT people are not in many small organizations budgets. Much can be done with project based contract staff, particularly in software upgrades and migrations. As to budget, what is the operational cost v risk of revenue reduction at renewal time? As to inheritance, it can be either blessing or curse. The trick in it is what you do with it.

The driver behind this is a switch to a new member management system. That was a necessary change because the old one didn't not work, wasn't supported by the vendor and wasn't going to work in the near future without a significant investment of funds that we don't have. As for the Flea Market, how quickly we forget that you could not receive messages in the old system. You could not search for a listing by keyword and you could not list more than four pictures. That system was broken, too and Panjo is going to be a great alternative. There is some learning to be done, but it will be a gigantic improvement over what we had.

As for the forum, again, the changes were necessary to integrate with the rest of our software. We have a much more complex system than some of the other forums you mention. Most of those sites are simply forums. They do not collect money for dues. They have a simple database for member names and no authentication against an expiration date. They don't have to register people for events. They don't have to send membership cards or renewal notices or billing records or number of years as member or who received an Anonymous Book and when. And on and on and on.

Not making excuses, but it is bigger than just a forum and a lot more complex than what has been represented here. You are correct that we need more help in this area, but paid staff isn't an option, vB consultants are exceptionally rare and I haven't had anyone beat down the doors and say they are vB experts and willing to help us out on a volunteer basis. If that person is out there, I want to talk to you.

First things, first. I am confident we have the right setup at the moment can and will work correctly. Let's get everyone logged in and remembered. After that, I'll be happy to engage anyone that wants to discuss our IT needs and available resources.

Understanding all of what is being said, given the history of this in various software upgrades, is their an instutional will to really do what is needed to make things work?

Thanks Ted. Email on the way asking for help.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Ted, sorry to report my iPad continues to have problems remembering me even after clearing safari cache, history, etc. and resetting my password per your recommendation.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Ted, sorry to report my iPad continues to have problems remembering me even after clearing safari cache, history, etc. and resetting my password per your recommendation.
    Hi Mike, could you go to "settings"- "Safari"- and work your way through to see the remembered passwords (more importantly) the web address. I'm curious what the address is. I have taken out BMWMOA.ORG on mine and I'm waiting to see what the new "set" is.
    Thanks, Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Sorry to hear that. An organization your size needs to find a way to budget for this because this infrastructure can make or break you. If you can't afford a staff person then you need to at least hire outside services qualified to help. This might require a realignment of budget priorities but make no mistake, IT needs to be recognized as a very important investment in the future of your organization.

I appreciate your effort and hope you aren't in over your head.
    This is so Ridiculous: I am totally baffled as to how BMW MOA with their annual dues fee structure cannot afford to have an IT person on board, our AZ Beemers Dues are only $36 for 3 years and for only one Dollar a month AZ Beemers has a website that works flawlessly! We have had Kevin Reed as our outside services qualified Guy for eight years now, contact him! Contact Info: kreed at tnet.com - tnet.services at gmail.com
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    This is so Ridiculous: I am totally baffled as to how BMW MOA with their annual dues fee structure cannot afford to have an IT person on board, our AZ Beemers Dues are only $36 for 3 years and for only one Dollar a month AZ Beemers has a website that works flawlessly! We have had Kevin Reed as our outside services qualified Guy for eight years now, contact him! Contact Info: kreed at tnet.com - tnet.services at gmail.com
    AZBeemers website isn't an apples to apples comparison. It may serve your purpose for $1/month, but doesn't have any of the functionality to be a relevant comparison.
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    Hi Don, your FJR forum that you referenced is an IP Board forum- not really the same thing.
    I just checked the AZ Beemers site- got this

[I]Valid XHTML 1.0 | Valid CSS
    Modified: April 04 2013 01:19:55 MST - #Congrats. Your Counter File Successfully Created.
    Your counter has been initialized to 1
    To change the counter simply modify the counter file:
    /phpcounter/

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 56

Warning: fopen(/phpcounter/): failed to open stream: Is a directory in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 57

Warning: fputs() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 61
    Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 69

Copyright ? 2012, AZ Beemers - Web Template ? 1997-2012 TNET Services, Inc. - AZ Beemers, P.O. Box 2887, Chandler, AZ 85244[/I]

Don't know what that means but it looks like the AZ Beemers site is "in general" one of the smaller customized message boards. It would would most likely not work here but looks fine for your application.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Hi Don, your FJR forum that you referenced is an IP Board forum- not really the same thing.
    I just checked the AZ Beemers site- got this

[I]Valid XHTML 1.0 | Valid CSS
    Modified: April 04 2013 01:19:55 MST - #Congrats. Your Counter File Successfully Created.
    Your counter has been initialized to 1
    To change the counter simply modify the counter file:
    /phpcounter/

Warning: chmod(): No such file or directory in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 56

Warning: fopen(/phpcounter/): failed to open stream: Is a directory in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 57

Warning: fputs() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 61
    Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/azbeemer/public_html/phpcounter/counter.php on line 69

Copyright ? 2012, AZ Beemers - Web Template ? 1997-2012 TNET Services, Inc. - AZ Beemers, P.O. Box 2887, Chandler, AZ 85244[/I]

Don't know what that means but it looks like the AZ Beemers site is "in general" one of the smaller customized message boards. It would would most likely not work here but looks fine for your application.
    Gary
    Dear Gary: Thank you so very much for taking the time to investigate this matter for me, but this only proves to me that I am not going to renew my BMW MOA dues after 35+ years of continuous BMW MOA Membership. I will certainly miss Owners News (I still miss Vince Winkel!), but I am friends with Sandy Cohen and I have subscribed to her wonderful "BMW Motorcycle Magazine" since the very first issue! I just fail to understand how for $40 a year we cannot have a fully functional Forum and Flea Market. The bottom line for this 66 year old Beemerphile, on a fixed Social Security income, is that I can enjoy free forums at Adventure Rider, K1600 Forum and so many other BMW oriented sites!

I'm having problems logging in and staying logged in now also.
    Don, you have some good questions there.
    I'll gladly pay $40 a year for a good forum like this, with good members, if it works.
    But now we have another "new and improved" "upgrade" and all that stuff, which don't work.
    I don't need a paper magazine for nothing. That could be online also. As could the anonymous book.
    I also don't need another patch, another pin, or another decal.
    dc

Things are looking good on this end, this morning. If you were one of the Members having problems- and are now good, let us know.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Things are looking good on this end, this morning.
    Not for me, same problems as yesterday in all of my environments.
    iPad running iOS 7.1
    W7Pro x64 with FF 32.0 (all add-ons disabled for testing purposes)
    W7Pro x64 with IE 11.0.9600.17280
    After resetting password yesterday, clearing cache, cookies, saved passwords, etc. and rebooting devices this morning:
    Open the bmwmoa main page and log in and choose to remember me and tell browser to save password.
    Click link to forum.
    Still have to sign in to forum - single sign on not working - choose to remember me.
    Browse forum.
    Close browser.
    Open browser.
    Browse to main site.
    Do not have to log in - remembered as it should.
    Click link to forum.
    Have to log in - not remembered as it should.

If just closing tabs and opening new tab back to forum remembered as it should.

When looking at the web address for the saved passwords they look correct.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org

Ted, Other forums running vBulletin 4.2.2 are having the same problem. One post suggests it is tied to DST settings. That could explain why it is only affecting certain users (their location could be the common denominator). Might want to check forum DST settings and make sure those are correct.

From this post:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-working/page2

"My forum has seemingly fixed itself. What is the difference? I think it coincided with the change here in the US from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time. So, if the forum does not account for DST properly, then it will be timing-out cookies and so forth when it shouldn't."
    Last edited by mikegalbicka; 11-20-2014 at 02:09 PM.

I spent a lot of time last night cleaning out "remembered" crap. So far this has allowed me to stay logged in on two devices. A lot of what I did follows what I have posted in the thread in clubhouse.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Things are looking good on this end, this morning. If you were one of the Members having problems- and are now good, let us know.
    OM
    Omega Man - Gary, still having to log on each and every time. No big deal I guess, just exasperating and I never had to do this before the "improvements"! jes' sayin' and nuff said!