• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Forum Operations

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I write this critical post with the best of intentions and not to attack anyone. I was moved to write because yet again I cannot seem to remain logged in on any of the three Apple based devices I use. I?m not asking for specific help in solving this issue (I'll figure it out), but I do want to express my concerns in broader terms about how the forum is managed from a technical perspective.

I participate in eleven motorcycle forums. My participation in six of them takes place on a daily basis or, sad to say, even more often. The MOA remains one of my favorites in the nature of the interactions I have here and the technical knowledge that is available here. I also appreciate the work of the moderators who I know struggle mightily to keep things as open and enjoyable as possible while maintaining a modicum of law and order within the bounds of the rules set for them. That being said, I also believe that on a technical basis the MOA forum, Flea Market and to a lesser degree the website are the most glitch prone and irritating to use of any of the forums I frequent. It is noteworthy that the MOA is also the only forum to which I must pay to be a member. My criticism has nothing to do with the content of the forum, its members or moderators, but rather it appears to me that the people in charge of the technical side of the forum?s operation are either not up to the task or are not being given the training and resources needed to make things work. I have had issues logging on, staying logged on, posting pictures and posting on the Flea Market. Things work fine one day and not the next. I have sought help a few times (the mods were patient and helpful), figured it out on my own sometimes or just gave up on other occasions. I understand that there was a recent upgrade to the software, but from my perspective the result is that once again I have to login every time I visit the forum, and from reading recent posts others are having issues with the Flea Market. Most telling is that the forum's peers do not seem to have the same issues to the same degree and duration.

It is not my intent to discuss each and every glitch that appears on the forum; those discussions go on often enough. I do, however, want to point out that as a user of several other forums, some of which seem to use the same brand of software, I have not encountered the number of issues that occur with some regularity on this forum. While help is quickly and cheerfully offered to resolve problems, the real point is that such help should not be needed by a person who is reasonably experienced and adroit in using forums. On other forums I?ve never needed to be coached through logging in, posting a picture or video or posting an ad on their version of the flea market. Additionally, for my first 5-6 years on this forum I participated with no significant problems that I can recall. Something has changed in last 18-24 months and it has not been a change for the better.

The bottom-line, in my opinion, is that there needs to be a systematic assessment of how and who is managing the technical aspects of the forum. I have no idea how things are being done now, whether it is by paid staff, contractors or volunteers, but it is evident that there is significant room for improvement. I don?t expect that such a review would be an open process and I care not about getting any feedback other than a forum that is easy to use. Thanks.

:thumb

It's been frustrating for quite awhile now and all of the "improvements" haven't helped. I now sign on each time as well. The flea mkt. seems to be a work in progress, and to be honest it's all just not worth the hassle.

I've been a member for 10 yrs or so but I will not renew next month when my membership expires.

FWIW
In the past I have always been able to do a work around to solve this problem. I was successful the day after the upgrade until today; now I am unable to keep any of my devices log on. MS,OS8.? and an android device.

Same here. Something changed today. I never had a problem staying logged in on any of my devices. Today I have problems on all of them. Might be related to the roll out of single sign on. Hopefully they will get it sorted out soon.

:thumb

It's been frustrating for quite awhile now and all of the "improvements" haven't helped. I now sign on each time as well. The flea market seems to be a work in progress, and to be honest it's all just not worth the hassle.

I've been a member for 10 yrs or so but I will not renew next month when my membership expires.

+1, Gunny; been a member for 35+ years, I'm considering also not renewing when my membership expires!

FWIW
In the past I have always been able to do a work around to solve this problem. I was successful the day after the upgrade until today; now I am unable to keep any of my devices log on. .

Same here, the login problem started again today. I use Firefox on my home computer and see I have the same problem with IE. I also had the problem with my work computer using IE.

Just to be clear. I plan to be a member of the MOA and this forum for the foreseeable future. Others must choose their own path, but my post is aimed at making the forum a more enjoyable place to post.

Let me say that the reason it started today was because of some new software put in place in the background that helps with single-site logins and user control of their MOA profiles, etc. Even I was bumped off this morning at work and at my home computer. But after going through the proper process to relogin and remember me, I'm back to where I was before.

I write this critical post with the best of intentions and not to attack anyone. I was moved to write because yet again I cannot seem to remain logged in on any of the three Apple based devices I use. I?m not asking for specific help in solving this issue (I'll figure it out), but I do want to express my concerns in broader terms about how the forum is managed from a technical perspective.

I participate in eleven motorcycle forums. My participation in six of them takes place on a daily basis or, sad to say, even more often. The MOA remains one of my favorites in the nature of the interactions I have here and the technical knowledge that is available here. I also appreciate the work of the moderators who I know struggle mightily to keep things as open and enjoyable as possible while maintaining a modicum of law and order within the bounds of the rules set for them. That being said, I also believe that on a technical basis the MOA forum, Flea Market and to a lesser degree the website are the most glitch prone and irritating to use of any of the forums I frequent. It is noteworthy that the MOA is also the only forum to which I must pay to be a member. My criticism has nothing to do with the content of the forum, its members or moderators, but rather it appears to me that the people in charge of the technical side of the forum?s operation are either not up to the task or are not being given the training and resources needed to make things work. I have had issues logging on, staying logged on, posting pictures and posting on the Flea Market. Things work fine one day and not the next. I have sought help a few times (the mods were patient and helpful), figured it out on my own sometimes or just gave up on other occasions. I understand that there was a recent upgrade to the software, but from my perspective the result is that once again I have to login every time I visit the forum, and from reading recent posts others are having issues with the Flea Market. Most telling is that the forum's peers do not seem to have the same issues to the same degree and duration.

It is not my intent to discuss each and every glitch that appears on the forum; those discussions go on often enough. I do, however, want to point out that as a user of several other forums, some of which seem to use the same brand of software, I have not encountered the number of issues that occur with some regularity on this forum. While help is quickly and cheerfully offered to resolve problems, the real point is that such help should not be needed by a person who is reasonably experienced and adroit in using forums. On other forums I?ve never needed to be coached through logging in, posting a picture or video or posting an ad on their version of the flea market. Additionally, for my first 5-6 years on this forum I participated with no significant problems that I can recall. Something has changed in last 18-24 months and it has not been a change for the better.

The bottom-line, in my opinion, is that there needs to be a systematic assessment of how and who is managing the technical aspects of the forum. I have no idea how things are being done now, whether it is by paid staff, contractors or volunteers, but it is evident that there is significant room for improvement. I don?t expect that such a review would be an open process and I care not about getting any feedback other than a forum that is easy to use. Thanks.
Hi Kevin and all, there has been a lot of catching up being done in the last year and a half. It's kind of a lot to really go through- as far as your questions. We are now running updated VB software packages and like you, I frequent other forums, and I like to look at the technical aspects of those forums as well. Many of the forums are still running software that is way behind- from the Can-Am forum-