Thread: rear brake rattling rotor '03 K1200LT

rear brake rattling rotor '03 K1200LT

Anyone experiencing a noisy rear rotor, Ive checked it out and it seems to be a problem with others what is the remedy??, I took my k1200lt 2003 with 21,500 miles to the dealor and was told that this is a normal noise and some bikes are louder, I'v heard that there are supposed to be tension springs on the guide pins holding the rotor in place that it floats on that heat up and fall off, and also bmw has a new fix for this problem any input appreciated. The reality of the noise is #1 embarrassing #2 its not bmw

brake noise

Install Belleville washers. They are available at a good hardware store or a supply house like McMaster-Carr. Also called wave washers. Basically a conical shaped washer that puts some pressure on the disk. I would use stainless.
    BMW should be doing this on their own, but I have heard several LT's with this noise and the owners have all had the same story as yours. Good luck.

rotor noise

I removed the rotor, it has guide pins holding the rotor, the factor drilled out the center and rounded the stud end so one cannot remove them with vise grips, also the stud has a c-clip that theoreticly was to take up the clearence between the rotor surface and the stud, apparently this design is inadequite and im going forward with warranty issues, its a poor design.

rear rotor rattle

Quote Originally Posted by 2whelman View Post
    Install Belleville washers. They are available at a good hardware store or a supply house like McMaster-Carr. Also called wave washers. Basically a conical shaped washer that puts some pressure on the disk. I would use stainless.
    BMW should be doing this on their own, but I have heard several LT's with this noise and the owners have all had the same story as yours. Good luck.
    Your Belleville washer sounds like a great idea. Have you tried it and what were the results?

Matt- please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46057 - I've added the info to your thread title. Please do this yourself in future threads.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfelton View Post
    Anyone experiencing a noisy rear rotor...
    Could you describe the noise you hear? I have a front brake noise, and it's kind of a buzzing sound when the brake is applied. The bike stops just fine and I can't see any unusual wear on the rotor, but if this is a problem I'd like to pursue it. Also, just where in the assembly would you install the Bellville/conical spring washers? Under the rotor attaching bolts? Maybe this will help the squealing noise I get, too.
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".