• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texas Reportedly Says No Polaris Slingshots

There was one amongst a clump of cruisers last Saturday in Luckenbach. I did not see what if any license plate it was sporting.
Was more amazed he parked in such tight quarters of the corral area requiring a backing up challenge so he would get noticed instead of parking 20 feet away in the more open area.:banghead
A picture by me would have had y'all :eek. but I didn't

There was one amongst a clump of cruisers last Saturday in Luckenbach. I did not see what if any license plate it was sporting.
Was more amazed he parked in such tight quarters of the corral area requiring a backing up challenge so he would get noticed instead of parking 20 feet away in the more open area.:banghead
A picture by me would have had y'all :eek. but I didn't

Mighta been the same one (red) that was at OST in Bandera last Friday. Like you, I missed the photo op. Gotta say, that is a huge masheen - especially when along side a Spyder, for e.g.

I think it was red/black...and yes. compared to the Spyder , it's a full size CAR

Speaking of Spyders, I just did a loop through Washington and Oregon and the things were everywhere. I saw three in a group once. Not nearly as numerous here (although the population is about a 10th of the US). What makes them so popular?

We were crossing Quebec two summers back and thought it was the Provencial vehicle. Every group had a few in it.
There are several in Central Texas, but only see them on weekends typically.

Guess it can be ridden by a wider audience. We visited with a couple on one and it was his first "motorcycle" at age 70.

Not to hurt anyone with a "Trike"s feelings but a trike is not a motorcycle. If I ever get to the point that my health or strength won't allow me to ride a bike I'll be in a car. I don't get these spyders, slingshots, etc.

Not to hurt anyone with a "Trike"s feelings but a trike is not a motorcycle. If I ever get to the point that my health or strength won't allow me to ride a bike I'll be in a car. I don't get these spyders, slingshots, etc.

You may be like me in thinking, but time and circumstances may change both our minds. My crazy recurring dream is Helen piloting a sidecar rig with me screaming...maybe in a good way, in the hack:eek We tried it once and it freaked me out as she was laughing devilishly.

A well piloted Spyder is a handful to keep pace with..I found out humbly :nod

A well piloted Spyder is a handful to keep pace with..I found out humbly :nod
The is a pile of technology stuffed into a Spyder... Traction controls that would rival most anything on the street. I don't know about the slingshot.
OM

One thing, I can't ride any three wheeler in between my pickup and my car going in and out of my garage.
There would be times in hot or cold weather that I am one wheel away from heat or air-conditioning and I am not on a bike and I can't lean.

The R80 was a street bike until somebody changed some bits and took it off road. BMW thought that was clever and built a G/S. They offended many purists but seem to have sold a ton of them. The R90S was a gentlemans sports tourer with emphasis on the spot. It was a road bike until someone tweaked it, added the required safety wiring and took it racing. In both cases the rest is history and BMW has sold a bunch in making that history.

Hacks and various other three wheeled combinations live in a nether world of regulations between motorcycles and cars. They meet customer needs while defeating various expenses of car.

I finally had a chance to drive one. One of my sons-in-law shares a garage with other gearhead friends. One of them has a Slingshot with plans to use it for track days, club racing and being able to drive it on the street for fun. I quickly saw where someone could have great fun with it; however, also quickly realized it was not for me.

I was never comfortable behind the wheel of this particular one. They were sorting out an aftermarket seat and some other cockpit changes. The owner was increasingly happy but the setup did not work for me so may color my overall impression. The thing had plenty of power to make for all sorts of fun. The front end handled very well. The rear end seemed to handle the power fine and behaved most of the time, yet in some corners it just didn't seem to do what I expected. Nothing bad just not what I expected.

Next year I want to pick up a two seater drop top toy car to park next to my bike and turn the Turdmobile into my winter beater. Polaris is a Fly-Over-Land manufacturer of wheeled toys. They create jobs and by building fun things. As clever as their Slingshot is it isn't even on the long list of possible candidates.

Back