Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Texas Reportedly Says No Polaris Slingshots

One thing, I can't ride any three wheeler in between my pickup and my car going in and out of my garage.
    There would be times in hot or cold weather that I am one wheel away from heat or air-conditioning and I am not on a bike and I can't lean.

The R80 was a street bike until somebody changed some bits and took it off road. BMW thought that was clever and built a G/S. They offended many purists but seem to have sold a ton of them. The R90S was a gentlemans sports tourer with emphasis on the spot. It was a road bike until someone tweaked it, added the required safety wiring and took it racing. In both cases the rest is history and BMW has sold a bunch in making that history.

Hacks and various other three wheeled combinations live in a nether world of regulations between motorcycles and cars. They meet customer needs while defeating various expenses of car.

I finally had a chance to drive one. One of my sons-in-law shares a garage with other gearhead friends. One of them has a Slingshot with plans to use it for track days, club racing and being able to drive it on the street for fun. I quickly saw where someone could have great fun with it; however, also quickly realized it was not for me.

I was never comfortable behind the wheel of this particular one. They were sorting out an aftermarket seat and some other cockpit changes. The owner was increasingly happy but the setup did not work for me so may color my overall impression. The thing had plenty of power to make for all sorts of fun. The front end handled very well. The rear end seemed to handle the power fine and behaved most of the time, yet in some corners it just didn't seem to do what I expected. Nothing bad just not what I expected.

Next year I want to pick up a two seater drop top toy car to park next to my bike and turn the Turdmobile into my winter beater. Polaris is a Fly-Over-Land manufacturer of wheeled toys. They create jobs and by building fun things. As clever as their Slingshot is it isn't even on the long list of possible candidates.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Left Coast Rider
    For what its worth, I just saw my first Polaris here in Vancouver. Licensed as a car.

So in TX is a single seat motorcycle with a sidecar an automobile?

Quote Originally Posted by gene36542 View Post
    So in TX is a single seat motorcycle with a sidecar an automobile?
    no
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    no
    Is it still ok for "open containers"?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Is it still ok for "open containers"?
    OM
    Not so much anymore...not anyone in vehicle...nope
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I saw this surfing the web this morning: http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...930-story.html
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    I saw this surfing the web this morning: http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...930-story.html
    Also not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    A Slingshot passed me today on my way home from Payson. It was hauling pretty good...I was doing 75...so I didn't get a good look at it but it's sure weird looking...kinda ugly IMO. And low to the ground...I towered above it on my RT. First one I've seen in real life.
    Polaris.jpg

Last week I pulled into the hotel underground parking in Montreal and what did I see?

Wish I had room for one in the garage..........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Something happened on the licensing issue as we have seen 5 in CENTEX area last week.
    Saw one from the back Sunday and appeared to have a motorcycle plate.

Just read this, our legislature calls them autocycles and registered as motorcycle. No big announcement in May, as laws usually do not take effect until September anyways. Polaris must have handed out some goodies

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar169610.html
    Last edited by henzilla; 10-05-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Why bother? You could have a real motorcycle.

+1 jamesvans, that is not a motorcycle anymore than a Spyder is a motorcycle. A spyder might be less of a car than this slingshot but look at the front CAR tires. It's classified as a dune buggy in my eyes.
    2011R1200RT- Gun Metal Grey

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Something happened on the licensing issue as we have seen 5 in CENTEX area last week.
    Saw one from the back Sunday and appeared to have a motorcycle plate.

Just read this, our legislature calls them autocycles and registered as motorcycle. No big announcement in May, as laws usually do not take effect until September anyways. Polaris must have handed out some goodies

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar169610.html
    Probably the 5 you saw last week, and the 35+ more you will see next month all belong to members of the TX legislature. Just a coincidence.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track