• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

AirBender

One Ring To Rule Them All
I'm sure this has been discussed around here before, but winter is upon us so why not have a vocal discussion on what I'm sure is bound to be a "hot" topic.
Just to be clear, I'm not promoting this method...just curious to see what your thoughts & opinions are. So!...break her in slowly and gently? Or whip her until she bleeds? :laugh Please click here ----> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Cheers,

AB

That's how I broke in my k1600 and it does not use a drop of oil between changes. There are others on the K1600forum that use a quart or 2 and have to add regularly. Follow the procedure and I don't think its anything like whipping her.

I always follow Internet versions on how to do something as opposed to manufactures' recommendations...just makes sense - right? Certainly do like the colorful presentation, font size changes and sub-title labeling...really drives the point home. Just have to quantify that "Dramatic increase in power" statement. Wish I'd known all this "fantastic" information before I broke my last 80 bikes in...could have used an extra 50 or 100 horsepower (dramatic increase in power?) ya get. It is going to be a long...long winter.

I always follow Internet versions on how to do something as opposed to manufactures' recommendations...just makes sense - right?............

You bet, and I understand there are some home lobotomy videos available online as well. :brow :)

I always follow Internet versions on how to do something as opposed to manufactures' recommendations...just makes sense - right? Certainly do like the colorful presentation, font size changes and sub-title labeling...really drives the point home. Just have to quantify that "Dramatic increase in power" statement. Wish I'd known all this "fantastic" information before I broke my last 80 bikes in...could have used an extra 50 or 100 horsepower (dramatic increase in power?) ya get. It is going to be a long...long winter.

I agree, the website and presentation are horrible! It looks like something from the 90's. LOL

But based off your sarcastic, yet honest answer in which you follow the manufactures guidelines just goes to show that you clearly differ from c4golf's choice. So in 3 posts my point about this thread has already been made.
Again...I was just curious to see other riders opinions.

I agree, the website and presentation are horrible! It looks like something from the 90's.

That's because it IS from the '90s. He refers to his F3 pistons. That would be a Honda CBR600 F3 - produced 1995 to 1998.

As previously alluded to, I think I'll just stick with what I have been doing and having success with.

That's how I broke in my k1600 and it does not use a drop of oil between changes. There are others on the K1600forum that use a quart or 2 and have to add regularly. Follow the procedure and I don't think its anything like whipping her.

Counterpoint: I did NOT break in my '13 GS that way and it too does not use a drop of oil between changes.

Maybe... just maybe... the amount of oil used isn't 100% dependent upon break in. :dunno It's your bike, break it in however you like.

My opinion is that the first 30-60 seconds of break-in are the most important. On the past two break-ins, I've started the engine and get the revs up to 3K or so and hold it for 30-60 seconds, then I ride for the next 20-30 minutes without letting the engine speed remaining constant too long. I try and dump the oil pretty quickly after that first run.

I have always ridden or driven the same way I normally other than no going a steady speed for a period of time. Since I live on crooked roads in the mountains, I couldn't go at a steady speed if I wanted to.

My understanding is that in that first 30-60 seconds, the most wear of the rings versus the cylinder walls takes place. After that, the oil begins to glaze on the cylinder walls as the heat builds...the abrasive nature of the cylinder lessens when the walls glaze. So that first minute is important.

My understanding is that in that first 30-60 seconds, the most wear of the rings versus the cylinder walls takes place. After that, the oil begins to glaze on the cylinder walls as the heat builds...the abrasive nature of the cylinder lessens when the walls glaze. So that first minute is important.

Per BMW's own protocol, tech is suppose to have around 15 "prep" miles on bike before customer takes delivery. If this is followed, which not all dealerships do, your proposed initial "run in" would be accomplished....if not already done so, by a mile or two at the factory. I don't worry about gaining horsepower or future oil consumption as much as I do "spinning" a bearing. But to each his own.

Per BMW's own protocol, tech is suppose to put 15 "prep" miles on bike before customer takes delivery. If this is followed, which not all dealerships do, your proposed initial "run in" would be accomplished....if not already done so, by a mile or two at the factory.

What does the protocol say to that initial start? I can't speak very much about new bikes...I was addressing a rebuild by an owner in their own driveway.

What does the protocol say to that initial start? I can't speak very much about new bikes...I was addressing a rebuild by an owner in their own driveway.

Got me there, I don't know anyone who rebuilt a more recent model BMW motor, especially a wethead boxer.

Per BMW's own protocol, tech is suppose to have around 15 "prep" miles on bike before customer takes delivery.

I do not see a tech taking a 20 minute spin on each bike delivered, nor recall any new bike at delivery ( I can only speak to 3 we bought new) having more than 4 miles showing. Who's paying that lost time shop rate?

Would think all engines require the typical varying of engine load and limiting the freeway/cruise control drone . Seems a lot of folks do not keep their bike long enough to know the effects of how they broke the engine in. Have talked to several who put it in 6th and rode two hundred miles on the slab leaving the dealer...others who wrung it out within reason...both think they are correct.

I think my dealer said they had a stock test ride route which puts about 2 miles on the odo. The bike was delivered to them with about 6 miles on the odo.

As for the initial start... that's done in the factory where the bike is started on a dyno and run through the gears. There are videos of the process on youtube. Here is one. Jump the 3:46 for the initial start.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cs8AphvMv1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do not see a tech taking a 20 minute spin on each bike delivered, nor recall any new bike at delivery ( I can only speak to 3 we bought new) having more than 4 miles showing. Who's paying that lost time shop rate?

Would think all engines require the typical varying of engine load and limiting the freeway/cruise control drone . Seems a lot of folks do not keep their bike long enough to know the effects of how they broke the engine in. Have talked to several who put it in 6th and rode two hundred miles on the slab leaving the dealer...others who wrung it out within reason...both think they are correct.

Yes, one does need to add reality to BMW's official prep requirements. Few dealers actually have the prescribed mileage on bike before it's sold. Who pays for the time to do this...consumer does. There is no lost shop time revenue...when ya buy today the Delivery/Prep charge is $495.00 per unit...part and parcel of the purchase price. It's just that all dealers don't do the prescribed job per BMW's requirements. I've taken many a delivery (and sold many a unit) without the required mileage applied, but even then the official delivery documentation, for BMW's benefit, usually has 15 or so miles listed as release to consumer mileage. All part of the "game" between manufacture and dealer.

I think my dealer said they had a stock test ride route which puts about 2 miles on the odo. The bike was delivered to them with about 6 miles on the odo.

As for the initial start... that's done in the factory where the bike is started on a dyno and run through the gears. There are videos of the process on youtube. Here is one. Jump the 3:46 for the initial start.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Cs8AphvMv1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would think that almost all new vehicles are run on a dyno when coming off the end of the assembly line. In my previous life in the automobile industry, I can certainly attest to each vehicle running through a dyno process. The vehicle is always run up to a pre determined MPH to set computer parameters......But the time length for racing the engine is very short!

Back