• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

In Praise Of The F700GS Oil Change

Normally that is what I would do. But the new 14-fluted oem filter is a tighter fit than the original 12-fluted. I’d like to find a filter that gives more clearance.

Seems like this is one of two threads running on the importance of filter wrench fit :dunno
Whatever works for you.
OM

Seems like this is one of two threads running on the importance of filter wrench fit :dunno
Whatever works for you.
OM

I specifically purchased the 12-fluted oem filter wrench. It worked perfectly on the oem filter I removed without clearance issues. Upon opening the new filter, I was disappointed to discover that Max had sent what appeared to be an incorrect replacement filter. It did not bear the part # they had advertised.

After investigating, I learned the original part # was nla, replaced by the larger 14-fluted filter. This required yet another filter wrench, but due to the tighter clearance between the new oem filter and the header pipes, I had to “modify” the filter wrench with the bench grinder.

Yes, filter wrench fit is important, but so is spec-ing an oem filter that is correctly sized for the space it occupies while permitting easy installation.

I have a 12-fluted filter wrench that has been used exactly once if anyone is interested.

So what about the original 12 fluted filter makes it not fit. Ring gasket diameter? Thread size?

Both filters fit on the engine fine. The 14-fluted version is taller, so the top (fluted end) protrudes farther out toward the header pipe, leaving only a few mm gap, making the fit for a filter wrench very tight.

Like said, I don’t mind at all paying a bit more for the oem filter and MaxBMW sells a handy kit at a fair price. I have full confidence the filter will do the job, and the BMW Advantec Pro synthetic oil seems to be topnotch too. But with the tight clearance with the header pipe, that’s why the K&N filter with the 17mm nut welded to the top would be very handy in this case.

Both filters fit on the engine fine. The 14-fluted version is taller, so the top (fluted end) protrudes farther out toward the header pipe, leaving only a few mm gap, making the fit for a filter wrench very tight.

Like said, I don’t mind at all paying a bit more for the oem filter and MaxBMW sells a handy kit at a fair price. I have full confidence the filter will do the job, and the BMW Advantec Pro synthetic oil seems to be topnotch too. But with the tight clearance with the header pipe, that’s why the K&N filter with the 17mm nut welded to the top would be very handy in this case.

I just use the “band style” filter wrench on mine. :dunno
OM

My experience, BMW changes up height, width of filters and number of flutes, on a regular basis. Never throw away or sell an oil filter wrench. Why? Because eventually that wrench will fit a future BMW filter. They change for the sake of change, which equals new wrench sales.

My experience, BMW changes up height, width of filters and number of flutes, on a regular basis. Never throw away or sell an oil filter wrench. Why? Because eventually that wrench will fit a future BMW filter. They change for the sake of change, which equals new wrench sales.

And....... it depends on there supplier Du Jour.
i think I have 10 filter wrenches :p
OM

Good tip, thanks.

And yes, the band/strap style oil filter wrenches are a good alternative. I have one of those somewhere - - but it has been awol since we moved about a year and half ago. Hopefully it will turn up before the next oil change! :thumb

In that oil filter test video that drneo posted, the tester mentioned that his R1200GS (maybe 1250?) uses a shorter filter than his F800GS due to bash plate clearance issues, but has the same threads and base diameter. I wonder if it would be okay to substitute that filter?

Good tip, thanks.

And yes, the band/strap style oil filter wrenches are a good alternative. I have one of those somewhere - - but it has been awol since we moved about a year and half ago. Hopefully it will turn up before the next oil change! :thumb

In that oil filter test video that drneo posted, the tester mentioned that his R1200GS (maybe 1250?) uses a shorter filter than his F800GS due to bash plate clearance issues, but has the same threads and base diameter. I wonder if it would be okay to substitute that filter?

The shorter Mahle OC 306 is an excellent filter. We use them on our F650GSs.

Or, you can buy them from http://beemerboneyard.com, a vendor who supports BMWMOA and offers a discount to BMWMOA members via a discount code that is in their monthly ad in the Owner’s News magazine. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

Great, thanks! Happy to do business with a supporter. I've never noticed any discount codes in the e-mailed Owners' News I receive, but I confess I don't peruse it closely (if at all.)

Or, you can buy them from http://beemerboneyard.com, a vendor who supports BMWMOA and offers a discount to BMWMOA members via a discount code that is in their monthly ad in the Owner’s News magazine. :thumb

Best,
DeVern

Just as a follow-up, I wanted to mention that Beemer Boneyard sells oil change kits and offers either the old-style (shorter, 12-fluted) Mahle 306 filter or the newer (taller, 14-fluted) Mahle 616 filter with the kits. The oil change kits include four liters of LiquiMoly synthetic oil, and the crush wash.

So thanks very much for the tip on Beemer Boneyard. Still looking for that discount code, though! :thumb

Back