Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: USB Audio

Quote Originally Posted by BeemerPilot View Post
    I understand the basic concept of BlueTooth, but upfront, I admit I don't get the advantage of having to worry about battery life, etc. on long trips, especially with camping thrown in. For instance, how do you keep batteries charged when you may frequently ride over 15 hours in a day and sometimes camp where there is no electricity available? And what's so bad about simply plugging in a cord? There seems to be something here I'm just not getting, even though I am fairly open minded and not afraid of new technology.

But here's my problem: I just bought a new 1600GTL and was dismayed to find I couldn't just plug in somewhere to take advantage of the radio, music loaded into an MP3 player or directions from the GPS. All I've used so far has been the music (and directions) from my Zumo 665 using earplugs with wired-in sound. Which brings me to the other facet of the problem; hearing protection. How do you manage hearing protection and still be able to hear speakers in a helmet? I have a Nolan N104, which has room for speakers, but where does BlueTooth fit in? And what about battery life? Why do that when a cord works just fine? Is there any such thing as a compact unit that interfaces with BlueTooth that you can just plug headsets into? That would work; especially if I could power it using the accessory plug; then no battery life to worry about.

I apologize in advance, but BlueTooth seems to be the solution to a problem that doesn't exist for those people who don't mind plugging in a cord and want to wear hearing protection. However, I love the bike and eagerly embrace advances in technology, but there's something here I'm just not getting. If you can help, I will be forever grateful because I do enjoy listening to music along the way and I have found advance warning to an upcoming turn to be helpful. Without it, I often wasn't looking at the screen when a turn was coming up and wound up having to make a U-turn to get back on course.

Thanks!
    I may be misunderstanding the question but you can pair your phone and the K1600 to your helmet. At least my Schuberth SRC can. The latest SRC generation has more capabilities but I'm not up to speed on them. It took a couple of tries but right now, I have my Nav V including the audio paired with my bike and that goes to my helmet, my USB stick with thousands of songs and a number of playlists (takes a LONG time to load initially but not after that) connected to the bike and thus to my helmet. I'm getting the iPod cable from the dealer tomorrow, yes I know there are less expensive cables, and hope all of that works. We're all different of course but even with ear plugs, my SRC/helmet has enough volume to suit me. I have to say the K1600 radio sounds pretty bad in my helmet. I have to investigate this. I seem to remember my 2010 RT with audio sounded bad through my then helmet as well. I don't remember what bluetooth I was using. Don't give up!

Cool Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I know the BT battery problem must be manageable, but I didn't expect to get good sound with ear plugs & would be happy just plugging them in & solve both problems at once. I need to do a lot more research. I guess I don't see a cord as being more of a problem than batteries. Once I plug in I just sit there riding along & don't notice the wire. I need to find out more about speakers & the interfaces.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeemerPilot View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I know the BT battery problem must be manageable, but I didn't expect to get good sound with ear plugs & would be happy just plugging them in & solve both problems at once. I need to do a lot more research. I guess I don't see a cord as being more of a problem than batteries. Once I plug in I just sit there riding along & don't notice the wire. I need to find out more about speakers & the interfaces.

Thanks!
    As far as LONG rides and battery life, combined with camping instead of motel'ing. This is what we always do, its cheaper, and often we stay in great places that are far better than the motel locations. Battery life is phenominal wth out Sena Bluetooth units. I can get about 15 FULL hours out of one charge, with constant use of out two sena's on intercom the whole time. That means they are not only receiving and playing audio via wireless, they are also transmitting. At home, I can get a couple of weeks, at least, of commuting on a single charge. Now, as far as charging, mid-trip, I just plug the Sena into the bike while riding. Its just like having a wired system, except I can take the wire off after a few hours.
    I like the wired-in systems, but as far as convenience, the very minor lack of fidelity is worth the sacrifice for us. Plus, I have the option of linking my unit to non-sena units of friends while we all ride together.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

I have a sneaking suspicion that come spring, when I set everything up, I'm gonna have some questions.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'