• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ceramic Coating?

laitken1

I watched a Gears show where a custom V8 engine had ceramic coated exhaust pipes installed. They were coated in a light silver color. On the show, the commentator said they don't lose their color under high heat and they also hold the heat in until it reaches the catalytic converter or muffler. I was looking at my discolored pipes on my 2014 RT 1200 and thought how good they would look if they were ceramic coated.

Has anyone done this to theirs? Is there any downside to having this done to the pipes?

Yes! This is the perfect company to use. Thanks for pointing me in their direction. l'll get with one of their reps and find out what it will cost. I'm not good at wrenching so, I'll have my dealer remove the exhaust system and send them for ceramic coating. I really like the satin silver color. It will go well with the basic look of the 14 RT. When it's done, I'll post photos on this site.

Jet-hot has been around for a long time and have done lots of BMW headers, as reported in many forum posts.
http://www.jet-hot.com/

+1 on Jet-Hot! They did the headers and mid-pipe on my Hayabusa and I planned from the git go on getting my RT's done there as well. Can't wait to see the reactions from some of the folks here. Jet-hot does good quality work. Also a bonus that they are located only 30 minutes from where I live. :thumb

Jet Hot gave me a quote of $250.00 excluding shipping costs. They also said I have to remove any chrome from the area to be ceramic coated before I send the system to them. Now, to figure out how to remove chrome. ??

You can sandblast chrome off. It takes a LONG time. You can grind it off. Or you can send it to a chrome plater and they can de-chrome it. I had Jet-hot coated headers in my pick up truck. Looked good but isn't permanent. I had to send the headers back twice in 10 years to get recoated. There was no charge to recoat the headers but I ate the labor and the shipping both ways. On a 2014 bike, I'd do my best to live with the chrome until it started peeling off. My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

You know some folks will tell you to leave the pretty patina alone, they all do that, it looks classic....whatever.

We have used Jet-Hot coatings on several of our bikes with fair results. I tried a competitor who was cheaper...I got it redone a few years later with JH as it lost it's luster compared to it's twin bike with the JH.

Have sent coated stainless and BMW "chromed", which is not as chromed as most other brands. I suppose the single walled headers on Beemers just don't do chrome well. I would call JH and send them a pic. They are not HD chromed pipes:whistle

Most we have are the black coating, but we have a polished silver and a satin silver. The satin in the following pics and needs a little TLC as it will kindly accept fresh road tar.

This 12S has larger diameter headers and the original look took away from the rest of the bike.

PC110105-L.jpg

PC300219-L.jpg

P2190011-L.jpg

My 05RT only showed the bend of the headers, but I wanted it black anyways. The only downside was a trip thru Tucumcari,NM several years ago when they had many roads ripped up and it was raining. We got home from our weekend with a nice Terra Cotta baked on film from the red clay soil. Most came off with LimeAway...Helen's 1100R still has some baked clay to this day as it was the oldest set we had and didn't clean all the way up.

Thank you for the pictures.. I really like the Satin Silver. It blends in nicely with the frame and other parts of the RT. I will send JT some pictures of my stock exhaust headers. I think they expect a bigger job than it really is. All I need to have done is the first 13" - 14" from the cylinder head down to the part of the header that doesn't change color. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will accept the system without me going to a chrome shop to have the chrome removed.

Your Satin ceramic coating makes your bike pop!

You know some folks will tell you to leave the pretty patina alone, they all do that, it looks classic....whatever.

We have used Jet-Hot coatings on several of our bikes with fair results. I tried a competitor who was cheaper...I got it redone a few years later with JH as it lost it's luster compared to it's twin bike with the JH.

Have sent coated stainless and BMW "chromed", which is not as chromed as most other brands. I suppose the single walled headers on Beemers just don't do chrome well. I would call JH and send them a pic. They are not HD chromed pipes:whistle

Most we have are the black coating, but we have a polished silver and a satin silver. The satin in the following pics and needs a little TLC as it will kindly accept fresh road tar.

This 12S has larger diameter headers and the original look took away from the rest of the bike.

My 05RT only showed the bend of the headers, but I wanted it black anyways. The only downside was a trip thru Tucumcari,NM several years ago when they had many roads ripped up and it was raining. We got home from our weekend with a nice Terra Cotta baked on film from the red clay soil. Most came off with LimeAway...Helen's 1100R still has some baked clay to this day as it was the oldest set we had and didn't clean all the way up.

Thank you for the pictures.. I really like the Satin Silver. It blends in nicely with the frame and other parts of the RT. I will send JT some pictures of my stock exhaust headers. I think they expect a bigger job than it really is. All I need to have done is the first 13" - 14" from the cylinder head down to the part of the header that doesn't change color. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will accept the system without me going to a chrome shop to have the chrome removed.

Your Satin ceramic coating makes your bike pop!

I agree...I think it looks great Henzilla! And it's refreshing to see that someone else here has gone down this road with their BMW. I am afraid that when I post pics up of my new RT with Satin Black headers, that the grumblers and negative Nancy's are bound to comment.

I agree...I think it looks great Henzilla! And it's refreshing to see that someone else here has gone down this road with their BMW. I am afraid that when I post pics up of my new RT with Satin Black headers, that the grumblers and negative Nancy's are bound to comment.

I would say that if the bike is Ebony, the Satin Black headers will look cool!

Bill in Phoenix

P1010016.jpg

R1%20%282%29-L.jpg

satin black

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 20130531_200257.jpg
    20130531_200257.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 390
Jet-Hot. I live about 20 mins from them. They said bring the bike by and they will look at the existing finish on the pipes.

Jet-Hot. I live about 20 mins from them. They said bring the bike by and they will look at the existing finish on the pipes.

I wish we were closer to a location to save on shipping ( certain models headers take a BIG box), I think the plant in Pascagoula MS was closed after Hurricane Katrina. Now it's OKC or Burlington NC

Has anyone determinded what the original coating is on the pipes and if it has to be removed? I am going by Jet-Hot tomorrow but would like an idea?

I don't know if they still have two options on the current models, but stainless or chrome were offered. Your original sales info/build sheet would show if you had the chrome option as it was a on the sheet for my 05 RT . Stainless was the default.
I have had both types coated and never had a chrome kick-back from JH. As I mentioned earlier, it is not double walled chrome headers that stay shiny like the V-twins and other makes.

Back