• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200 GSA Key FOB is STUCK!!!

Blaubeemr

Help!

I'm in urgent need of BMW engineer expertise! I adjusted my seat height on my new 2015 R1200 GSA and reinstalled it and then reinstalled my rear seat.....and now my key FOB won't come out of the seat locking mechanism leaving my bike completely unsecurable! It's like leaving the keys to my bike for anyone to steal! For some reason, the key is stuck and the locking mechanism won't re-center to allow me to take the key out!

I re-read the manual several times and scoured the internet for solutions to no avail! What is BMW's engineer solution to a poorly designed locking mechanism that won't release the key?

I need BMW's help since I cannot secure the bike (prevent it from being stolen because it's my keyless FOB) now!

Has anyone out there successfully resolved this issue without breaking something?

Can't help you myself but- Welcome to the forum!
It's a new bike so I would lock it up for the night and call the dealer in the AM. Chances are it's simple, just have to have done it before.
Gary

I spoke with Lonestar BWM (my dealer) and they directed me to BMW Motorrad USA....who then said they don't have anyone who knows how to fix this issue and told me to get in touch with my dealer!!!

I wish I had the contact email for a BMW engineer in Berlin so I could share my experience with them to help resolve any future problems for other new owners!:type:dunno

Are you able to turn the lock and remove the seat again?
I went out and messed with the latch on my 2015 and was able to make the key "stuck" by applying the slightest upward pressure on the tab pointed to in the picture. This was accomplished by pulling slightly upward on the seat latch (directly overheard of the pencil tip).

I also found that the key wont come out with the lock cylinder even slightly turned from center.

20141030_134521_resized.jpg

Someone who "needs engineer expertise" is not in the position to conclude something is a poor design nor in position to "warn others."

Yours is an isolated incident and could be the result of all kinds of things besides poor design. It's most likely your error. No owners manual anywhere covers this sort of thing.

Your bike is under warranty, and given that you can start it you need to take it to your dealer for warranty work. Just like just about everybody else has to do for just about any kind of problem. As you've discovered, neither your dealer nor BMW NA will be able to fix this remotely. Nor would an engineer in Germany. The "chain of command" is that the dealer technician via his management determines if engineering expertise is required--standard operating procedure throughout the industry. This doesn't happen based only on a phone call.

Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as the worse you treat your dealer the poorer service you'll receive. Being upset about this accomplishes nothing positive.

Your posting is subject to varying interpretation, so sorry if I've misunderstood something, but my response outlines pretty much what you need to do.

Hi BlauBeemr. Welcome to the forum. lkchris can be a PITA in his delivery, but frustratingly ,he is often correct. In this case he nailed it, I believe. Take it to a dealer and give them a chance to fix it.... with no drama.

Hi BlauBeemr. Welcome to the forum. lkchris can be a PITA in his delivery, but frustratingly ,he is often correct. In this case he nailed it, I believe. Take it to a dealer and give them a chance to fix it.... with no drama.

Agree...seems OP's initial reaction pales in comparison to "helpful?" dramatized over reaction reply.

Back