• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'99 RT Throttle body shaft play

ChrisM47

Hi,
Just replaced the HES on the 1100Rt with 85k mi., while adj valves, changing filters, fluids etc. I found play in the throttle body shafts while pressing the bellcranks up and back. More on the right then left. Although eager to get ridin' again, considering the Autolite AP3923 plugs came out whitish, not burned but not tan or grey, I have 2 questions: can I put off replacing the shafts or bushings without damaging the engine, and is there a link to a source for the parts I need?
Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the replies Pauls1150 and dbrick.
Anton always has great info. I found the Carb Doctor ad in ON. He has kits with the shafts, bushings and seals for less $$ than Bing USA. Dan Cata has a great set of how to photos on advrider for the throttle body repair. The old plugs are a little tan, so I'm gonna see how it runs after I try and sync the TB and ride it till the parts come.
I appreciate the help.

A friend and I replaced the TB shafts using the kits from Dan Cata. We did both TBs in his 1100RS and just the right TB in my 1100RT. The kits go in very easy; the pictures and instructions from Dan are mostly complete. The hardest part was getting the cap off on the right side TB. Best part is the results - they work great. My friend couldn't get his RS to balance, the big brass screws weren't making any change (air sneaking in through the worn shaft). After the kits were installed he could balance TBs easily and with precision. He even got his throttle cables adjusted so he could use the fast idle lever again.

Back