Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Centerstand lugs measurement favor

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    In your picture above, what is the orientation we're looking at? Is the picture upside down and the front of the bike is to the left? I looked at my late model R69S last night and it doesn't look anything like that.

And I'm guessing that the lug that is broken off is not just a mirror image of the good lug that we can see.
    Yes, upside down and the front is to the left. The lug in the back is actually different than the one up close, if you go to the link it's the one on the left.

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/online...tandmounts.jpg

Also, when I went out to the bike to look again I noticed the two tabs on top of the frame (just under the framed picture in this image I found http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-h8tMC8jpM-...0/IMG_3011.JPG) are sheared off. I can guesstimate these measurements as the shapes are simple and can make them work,,but the actual measurements would help too.

That should be it for this frame, then I can get it cleaned up and into a rolling chassis
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1967 Moto Guzzi V700 (current restoration)

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

I ran this up the flagpole at the Vintage BMW forum...figured someone might have a bike broken down and could get some pictures. So far, all I've heard is the suggestion to buy Vech's mounts...they're sturdier than the original mounts and that any repairs you might make to reconstruct the old ones will likely just break again. I'm not that familiar with the old vs new mounts and I'm not a welder/metal worker, so I don't really know.

If anyone comes up with something more "helpful", I'll pass it on.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I ran this up the flagpole at the Vintage BMW forum...figured someone might have a bike broken down and could get some pictures. So far, all I've heard is the suggestion to buy Vech's mounts...they're sturdier than the original mounts and that any repairs you might make to reconstruct the old ones will likely just break again. I'm not that familiar with the old vs new mounts and I'm not a welder/metal worker, so I don't really know.

If anyone comes up with something more "helpful", I'll pass it on.
    Thanks Kurt, that'll be the next BMW club I'll have to join.

I'm sure Vech's mounts are improved, I just can't justify the cost when I can weld and have tons of metal to fabricate into mounts. Maybe it's the stubborn German genes in me, but I'd rather try and fail before spending money on someone else's work
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1967 Moto Guzzi V700 (current restoration)

I looked at my mounts/lugs and they seem to be fine. But when I pull my 1969 r60/2 US up on the center stand both the front and rear wheel are still sitting on the floor though very slightly. I'm thinking that my center stand may be a bit bent? It curls-up a bit more than some of the pictures in this thread. Over the weekend I did some routine maintenance that required removal of the rear wheel so I had to put a 2X4 under the center stand to get the wheel about an inch up in the air. Is this correct/sounds right? I can't imagine having to fix a flat on the side of the road and just happen to have a 2X4 with me.
    Ironically I do carry a 2X4 with me in the trunk of my Ural because you do have to raise the bike higher to angle the rear wheel off that rig. Most Ural owners do as well.

Mike -

No, it's not right that both wheels are on the ground. The rear tire should be 15-30mm of more off the ground. Without that, you obviously can't get the tire off and then it's impossible to roll it out the back part of the fender after you've lifted it up at the hinge. So either the stops have been bent/chewed up or as you say the curled ends of the stand have deformed over time.

BTW...it looks like you want to have a smilie of the US flag in your signature. The reference you have is to the old forum setup. So, you would need to go back to your Settings and change what's there and pick the new smilie. Or, I think you could edit it and just put in ": usa" (without the quotes and the extra space I included after the colon).
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Just wanted to give an update on this as the frame repairs are holding up getting the frame and numerous other parts powdercoated.

Whoever said that any repairs to the existing lugs would probably crack in the future was right, when I went to straighten out the "good" tab broke right off. It was obviously welded once before (poorly) prior to me getting the frame and required quite a bit of bending, cleaning up, and then re-welding to the frame.

20150525_191906.jpg

For the missing lug, I used a piece of 1/4" steel (didn't have any 3/16" laying around) cut to fill in the negative space of the missing lug for strength and replicate, what I assume, to be the overall shape of the original lug.

20150525_205431.jpg

As you can see, there's no more space in the lug and it looks more like the Bench Mark Works weld on style in that it's a solid piece. I still have to drill out the space for the hole and mold the lug a little with the grinding wheel to make it look nice and even, but I think this will be a solid repair. The centerstand still rests in the correct areas and it's nice and even within the frame. I'm going to go back to the other lug and fill in the empty space to reinforce that as well.

If anyone needs any measurements for their project I'd be happy to supply mine if you want to replicate this. It may not win a concours, but doing this saved me about $252