• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Centerstand lugs measurement favor

typ181r90

Superkraut
Would anyone be able to measure the centerstand lugs on on their /2 frame for me? Both are damaged on my R60 frame (2/3 is broken off one of them) and want to weld on new metal before I get the frame powdercoated. Any help would be appreciated.

You can buy new lugs from Bench Mark Works

If you need new ones Vech has them, he may also give you a good idea of what the measurements should be. It would help if you could provide the year of your bike as the center stand lugs where changed a little over time and that might affect the way it will be measured. I have an early one and I have a US frame hanging up in my shed.

My play time is somewhat limited for the next few days but if you narrow it down a little to the year I might be able to snap a few pictures with a tape measure to show you where they go. If they are busted up, worn or gone I would buy a set of new and start fresh.

It would help if you could provide the year of your bike as the center stand lugs where changed a little over time and that might affect the way it will be measured.

I looked at his sig line...he mentions a '57 R60...he also asked about an R60 in his post. So, I just assumed... :dunno

That's correct, 1957 R60. The one that's broken off is the one on the left side of the bike (if you were sitting on it). There's no rush, if you can get them I'd be very much appreciated, if not I'll give Vech a call. I'd just rather make the part than buy it as I have metal on hand and have no problem welding.

Your lugs are different from the /2

I would strongly suggest buying new lugs from Vech but if you insist on building or repairing your own I will do what I can to help. I have to dig out my '55 R 50 frame and get measurements from that. I rebuilt and added extra metal to the center stand lugs on that currently shelved restoration but would have bought new and better lugs from Vech if he had them when I did the work. The later /2 lugs are vastly improved from the R 50 R60 pre /2 center stand lugs so if your going for function and reliability and not worried about us purist nit picky types I would get a set of new /2 lugs and fix it for good. I would splurge a little and buy a new /2 center stand as well unless you are in fear of us purist nit picky types.

I will see what I can do to dig out my 55 R50 project and a tape measure, maybe it will inspire me to get back at that very neat and correct project. I do need a black Earles fork bike now that I think of it and that bike was easy to start and a blast to ride before I got resto-crazy.

Are we talking about the ears that stick up on this centerstand?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0233&mospid=48044&btnr=46_0556&hg=46&fg=52

I got down on the floor and looked at my R69S centerstand...there was much more than these ears...there was some extra material welded down the vertical portion of the risers. It looks original and quite beefy...also very difficult to measure unless it was off the bike.

No, just the part coming off the frame. I'm not worried about keeping things completely period correct, just want to use what works best, which is kinda the reason I wanted to make my own (get the lengths but reinforce with metal), this being said you're probably right in that it would be best just to get new /2 ones. Let me start with the measurements for now and take it from there, as it stands now i already had to weld a crack in the one lug that wasn't broken off.

Looks like Vech is selling the lugs for $126 per side! I definitely think I'll just make my own and if needed reinforce.

If all goes well

I will be able to pull the R 50 frame out and snap a few pics of the lugs with a tape measure. I'll give you a quick explanation of how I added some meat to them without changing them to much. Do you have a good center stand, spacers and bolts to mount on it? That is a must in order to fix the mounts and get them in the correct spot before you paint or powder coat the frame. I bought a new /2 one (can't get the exact one) for my bike while I look around for e super nice original to install

I will be able to pull the R 50 frame out and snap a few pics of the lugs with a tape measure. I'll give you a quick explanation of how I added some meat to them without changing them to much. Do you have a good center stand, spacers and bolts to mount on it? That is a must in order to fix the mounts and get them in the correct spot before you paint or powder coat the frame. I bought a new /2 one (can't get the exact one) for my bike while I look around for e super nice original to install

I also have a new /2 one, thanks for taking care of this for me

FYI, here's a pic of what I need, so you don't go overboard with measurements. The one closest is fine, just with some cracks I'm going to re-weld, the far one is the broken piece.

IMG_20141113_123834_055.jpg

Is this something that can be done with the stand on the bike? I've not gotten on the floor to study my R69S but if there's something I can do that way, I'll give it a shot.

There might be too much stuff in the way to get an accurate measurement with everything on the bike, but I'm not sure. What I essentially need are the measurements to recreate the broken lug in the rear of the picture.

In your picture above, what is the orientation we're looking at? Is the picture upside down and the front of the bike is to the left? I looked at my late model R69S last night and it doesn't look anything like that.

And I'm guessing that the lug that is broken off is not just a mirror image of the good lug that we can see.

In your picture above, what is the orientation we're looking at? Is the picture upside down and the front of the bike is to the left? I looked at my late model R69S last night and it doesn't look anything like that.

And I'm guessing that the lug that is broken off is not just a mirror image of the good lug that we can see.

Yes, upside down and the front is to the left. The lug in the back is actually different than the one up close, if you go to the link it's the one on the left.

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/onlinestore/partno/centerstandmounts.jpg

Also, when I went out to the bike to look again I noticed the two tabs on top of the frame (just under the framed picture in this image I found http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-h8tMC8jpM-o/UlbBzONXa3I/AAAAAAAAEno/lTqg33EdZ0g/s1600/IMG_3011.JPG) are sheared off. I can guesstimate these measurements as the shapes are simple and can make them work,,but the actual measurements would help too.

That should be it for this frame, then I can get it cleaned up and into a rolling chassis

I ran this up the flagpole at the Vintage BMW forum...figured someone might have a bike broken down and could get some pictures. So far, all I've heard is the suggestion to buy Vech's mounts...they're sturdier than the original mounts and that any repairs you might make to reconstruct the old ones will likely just break again. I'm not that familiar with the old vs new mounts and I'm not a welder/metal worker, so I don't really know.

If anyone comes up with something more "helpful", I'll pass it on.

I ran this up the flagpole at the Vintage BMW forum...figured someone might have a bike broken down and could get some pictures. So far, all I've heard is the suggestion to buy Vech's mounts...they're sturdier than the original mounts and that any repairs you might make to reconstruct the old ones will likely just break again. I'm not that familiar with the old vs new mounts and I'm not a welder/metal worker, so I don't really know.

If anyone comes up with something more "helpful", I'll pass it on.

Thanks Kurt, that'll be the next BMW club I'll have to join.

I'm sure Vech's mounts are improved, I just can't justify the cost when I can weld and have tons of metal to fabricate into mounts. Maybe it's the stubborn German genes in me, but I'd rather try and fail before spending money on someone else's work :dunno

I looked at my mounts/lugs and they seem to be fine. But when I pull my 1969 r60/2 US up on the center stand both the front and rear wheel are still sitting on the floor though very slightly. I'm thinking that my center stand may be a bit bent? It curls-up a bit more than some of the pictures in this thread. Over the weekend I did some routine maintenance that required removal of the rear wheel so I had to put a 2X4 under the center stand to get the wheel about an inch up in the air. Is this correct/sounds right? I can't imagine having to fix a flat on the side of the road and just happen to have a 2X4 with me.
Ironically I do carry a 2X4 with me in the trunk of my Ural because you do have to raise the bike higher to angle the rear wheel off that rig. Most Ural owners do as well.

Mike -

No, it's not right that both wheels are on the ground. The rear tire should be 15-30mm of more off the ground. Without that, you obviously can't get the tire off and then it's impossible to roll it out the back part of the fender after you've lifted it up at the hinge. So either the stops have been bent/chewed up or as you say the curled ends of the stand have deformed over time.

BTW...it looks like you want to have a smilie of the US flag in your signature. The reference you have is to the old forum setup. So, you would need to go back to your Settings and change what's there and pick the new smilie. Or, I think you could edit it and just put in ": usa" (without the quotes and the extra space I included after the colon). :)

Back