• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K1300S for Long distance touring for tall guys????

Tbone221

'09 RT owner - love it, but getting the itch for something sportier. I'm 6'5, 235 lbs with 33 inch inseam and love my rt ergonomics. Been admiring the k1300S and thinking about going "minimalist" (radio, cruise, etc.).

Any other converts? Pros, cons? sub 6 footers opinions welcomed too :)

Tom

Tom,
This has come up a few times, I did a sub forum level search and came up with a few threads. I used long distance in the search, other keywords may yield more as I recall a lengthy one not that far back.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50913-K1300S-Long-Distance-Touring&highlight=long+distance

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...k1300s-thoughts/page2&highlight=long+distance

We have a pair, I have done multi day trips without issues. I also had an 05RT and missed a few creature comforts as far as weather protection. It didn't take long to be OK without them...except in an all day rain event. The low screen and no cruise just make it different.
I have to layer a bit more on really cold days to get the same level of heat with my heated liner...I thought it went out in a mountain pass a few years ago:laugh
I am in the 6-1 199 range and my stock seat and ergos work well for me. I do feel a bit more knee stress on long days compared to my GSA, but not enough to keep me from doing it

Compared to the RT however, LEO's seem to eyeball us more on the K's, even when being good:whistle

I'm 6'5, 235 lbs with 33 inch inseam and love my rt ergonomics.

Tom

Both me and my wife have 34" inseams and both of us get along fine using our K1300S's for touring bikes.
I'm 6' and my wife is 5'10".

'09 RT owner - love it, but getting the itch for something sportier. I'm 6'5, 235 lbs with 33 inch inseam and love my rt ergonomics. Been admiring the k1300S and thinking about going "minimalist" (radio, cruise, etc.).

Tom

Hi Tom

I am 6'6" 220lbs, 38" inseam and own a stock 2009 K1300s. I have done 400 mile days with no problem. Agree with other posts that you need to prepare differently for wind and rain. To help with any knee or neck issue just incorporate some stretching exercises into your daily routine.

The bike is a great mix of sport and tourer.

Have fun.

I came from an '06 RT for the same reasons and absolutely LOVE the K13S. Sure I miss the wind protection on cold mornings, and the electronic cruise on the slab, but I rarely slab for hours or ride for very long in the cold. The POWER, the quick-shifter, and the incredible bond I have with the bike is something I enjoy every second I'm on it. Granted I didn't have the RT for very long, but it seemed so much more utilitarian. The K is edgier. It keeps me focused and I believe it made me a much better rider. Be sure to add riser plates.

Wind noise is a non-issue. I mold Radians over earbuds for Nav, intercom, and music. Still hear the bike just enough.

My first post 2011 K1300s

Well I hope this post comes out ok. I have a 2011 K1300s and I got the itch to put on some serious miles. Last August I rode from Wisconsin to DC in one day, toured the DC area the next and rode all the way home on the third day. All said an done about 1900 miles in 3 days. The bike was fantastic and performed like a BMW should. The bike used about a quarter of a quart of oil on the entire trip and pulled 51 mpg on average with 92/93 octane fuel. The avarage speed was about 79 mph including gas stops. I'm shorter, 5'9" but I never got tired of riding this bike. Cruise would be a great option, but I'm ok without it. I would ride the bike across the country tomorrow if I could. Ride safe and ride lots.

Great sport-touring mount

I used to have a 2003 FJR1300. Very fast and good handling. I missed the power but not the weight. Now I have a '13 KS. I'm 6', 175, and the K fits me well.

Agree with others that you need to dress a little differently, as the wind protection is minimal. But I enjoy it. The low w/s gives you a clean blast, free from buffeting.

It's a little slower in steering than I'd like; maybe someday I'll try the plates mentioned earlier.

I've grown fond of cruise control--installed it on the FJR and now have it on the GS. Currently using a throttlemeister on the KS, which is OK but I miss CC. That would make this bike darn near perfect, by my standards.

The KS is a smooth customer. And with the gear shift assist you can really bang through the gears. I enjoy passing on the interstates: signal, twist, barrel-roll left, watch objects in rear-view mirror disappear.

Can't say how it would fit someone 6'5", perhaps you'll need a test ride. My knees are fairly bent. But I've ridden 500+ miles per day without complaint.

Good luck on your decision. The power, handling, protection and features of the K1300S work well for me. :thumb

Last edited:
I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam, and I find the ergos nearly perfect on my 2013 K1300S, in contrast the contortions I went through on my CBR1100XX.

The only beef I had with it on a cross-continent (Toronto to San Fran and back) ride was the stock windshield vs headwinds across the salt flats. Got a Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen while in San Fran and absolutely love it.

Just Bought a used K1200gt 6'-7" 36" inseam

My old 1985 K100rs had a raised shock and taller rear wheel, extended kickstand and small little wind screen that did little to shield me. I love my 07 K1200gt. Quite a difference. Can't wait for warmth and salt cleansing rain to clear Midwest roads. I did get to ride the K1200 (same frame as k13s) before salt flew. what, I mean what a difference. Good Luck.

UJ

K1200S Touring

I've been riding the K1200S (basically the same as the K1300S) since 2008 and in 2013 did a one-day run from Massachusetts (New Bedford area) to Washington, DC, in a long day (about 540 miles) and it was fine. I'm a bit porkier than I want to be at 200 pds and 5'11." Luckily, I had no rain.

K1200S/1300S = Perfect Sport Tourer

Tom

I am 6'-2.5" and I have a 2008 K1200S and a new 2015 K1300S. With your height, you can easily reach the bar grips.
I have had my K1200S to the West coast numerous times and the first time the stock seat nearly killed me - even
while using a gel pad purchased for the purpose of making the seat more comfortable. During the trip to Gillette, WY, I
used a leather solo seat on the K1200S built by Rick Mayer. It was TOTALLY ENJOYABLE! And besides,the K1200S was fun to have in the Rockies. You can see a picture of my 2008 K1200S on the marketplace - it's for sale. I plan to have
Rick build a seat for the K1300S before I leave for Billings, MT this summer.

I have Rick Mayer seat on my 2008 K1200 GT. Very comfy for long hauls but if you like to slide around the seat when in the twesties very restrictive. I am looking for a regular seat for round the mountain and track use.

At 6’3” and 34” inseam I personally find that my 2015 Motorsports folds me up just a bit too much for multi-week rides. Two or three days is fine for me. I will buy another bike if I am touring the country.

I’m not sure if the HP pegs are higher than the normal bikes pegs. Could be.

At 6’3” and 34” inseam I personally find that my 2015 Motorsports folds me up just a bit too much for multi-week rides. Two or three days is fine for me. I will buy another bike if I am touring the country.

I’m not sure if the HP pegs are higher than the normal bikes pegs. Could be.

In your picture in another thread I see you have your HP pegs in the lowest position. That's the same as the stock pegs on a K1300S.

IN short, as much as love the K1300S……..and let me count the ways………I am too tall at 6’3 to multi-week tour on it. Possibly if i was 20 or 30 years younger but not at 60. It is STILL my favorite single all-around bike I have ever owned though.

I just bought a 2022 R1250 GSA for the touring and it is immediately better in every way in that capacity. And……I hated to admit that. Still, there is no sound in motorcycling to me like the big bore 1300cc inline 4 going through the Akropovic pipe on the quick shifter.

30F6E71B-8B5A-4C47-B9BC-66838847864F.jpg

Back