• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Charging - Disconnect Ground or Not?

Yeah, you don't really want to start the bike with a "tender" connected as it doesn't have the power/electronics or wire size needed to contend with what the bike will see as a shared load "jump-start".
OM

I've started mine with the Battery Tender Jr. connected by accident and didn't have a problem. The charger also shuts off if you hook it up wrong so I think it protects itself.

As I said before. It is just BMW covering their fanny in case your charger goes berserk and cooks your electronics.

Wow.......This is fantastic. An oil thread is almost as informative as an electron flow thread. Thanks Kurt..........

battery charger connected

If you try to start a /5 with the battery charger connected you risk burning the relay. Don't ask me how I know.

Connect or Disconnect?

Obviously leaving the battery connected to is the correct answer. That said, what you use to charge can have an effect on battery life. Two things deplete batteries, cold and heat, with heat being the most destructive. A modern trickle charger tests the battery voltage from time to time and if it finds a deficiency applies a 2 amp charge until the battery is "topped off". If you were to apply a constant charge, especially above 2 amps, the battery would heat and be destroyed, over time.

Charge your battery as described in the owners manual.

There will be no better ideas presented on any forum.

Charge your battery as described in the owners manual.

There will be no better ideas presented on any forum.

Sure - except lots of folks with old bikes never saw an owners manual. Guys with new bikes not so much, but not everybody with a 40 or more year old bike have their little books.

Sure - except lots of folks with old bikes never saw an owners manual. Guys with new bikes not so much, but not everybody with a 40 or more year old bike have their little books.

True that, but many of those manuals are available yet either in OEM format or reproductions and copies. Manuals are wonderful devices but they do sometimes cost, and we all know the old saw about the cheapest thing on a BMW.

ALL of the 40 year old bikes had lead-acid slosh batteries and many are now being replaced with AGM or other technologies, and those require different chargers than what the OEM info refers to.

Probably safest to say that a battery should be charged according to instructions and equipment specified for that battery by the battery manufacturer.

Best,
DG

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a problem from charging a battery as long as the positives and negatives were watched. :dunno
OM

Back