Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RT Ergonomics

RT Ergonomics

Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to Yellowstone + Tetons, etc. I am now determined more than ever to make my RT comfortable for my aging bod.

1. A couple of days ago I mickey-moused a mod to raise the front of my seat so I now sit level. I don't like sliding forward and having, uh, my 'boys' crowded.

2. I've ordered bar up-and-back blocks of aluminum from Illium that should give me a comfortable reach when sitting more upright.

3. I need to lower my foot pegs and kits are available for that. I'd sorta like floorboards like on my Harley but the cylinders won't let my feet go forward enough ... same issue on my Ural. I am resisting engine guards and highway pegs because I'd be doing the splits but I may have to go that route to get the comfort my right knee demands (old snow skiing accident).

Am I the only one who loves the RT but isn't keen on the mild sport riding position? Everything is Ok until I'm in the saddle for 4 or 5 hours.

Norm
    Last edited by Norms 427; 10-13-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Rally Rat
    I installed a "Comfort" Heated Seat and an Alaska Leather Sheepskin on mine and that improved things a little, but I'm starting to think BMW might stand for Bust My Walnuts!

2008 RT Peg lowers, bar risers, Corbin seat, taller windshield. I can and have ridden all day no issues. Stops are mostly just to get fuel. 6'6" 275lb
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Since those mods 400 mile days are easy, 800 mile days are about my limit, but mostly just a focus issue not a comfort issue.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

I've done the bar backs and peg lowering kit too. I have a Calsci XL windscreen too. The seat is the only shortcoming left. There are lots of options, but since I do mostly commuting now, I haven't replaced it yet, I just put up with it. I've done as far as 780 miles in a day with the stock seat. Never again. 6'5 34" inseam and north of 22 stone.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

I went for the Corbin firmer is better approach. My engineering mind was thinking after the initial ride I had made a huge mistake as the seat is hard. But after breakin it performs as advertised. I am only good for about 200 on the factory marshmallow.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

I have crossed the country twice plus much of Canada, it just keeps getting better.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Norms 427 View Post
    Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to Yellowstone + Tetons, etc. I am now determined more than ever to make my RT comfortable for my aging bod.

1. A couple of days ago I mickey-moused a mod to raise the front of my seat so I now sit level. I don't like sliding forward and having, uh, my 'boys' crowded.

2. I've ordered bar up-and-back blocks of aluminum from Illium that should give me a comfortable reach when sitting more upright.

3. I need to lower my foot pegs and kits are available for that. I'd sorta like floorboards like on my Harley but the cylinders won't let my feet go forward enough ... same issue on my Ural. I am resisting engine guards and highway pegs because I'd be doing the splits but I may have to go that route to get the comfort my right knee demands (old snow skiing accident).

Am I the only one who loves the RT but isn't keen on the mild sport riding position? Everything is Ok until I'm in the saddle for 4 or 5 hours.

Norm
    Bar backs, Lowering pegs, Vstream Shield & Kontour seat for me. I don't feel the need for Highway pegs or floor boards. Personally I don't think that the riding position of the RT is really compatible with those.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

Barbacks, Suburban peg lowering kit, Sargent saddle and BeemerBuddy grip pads for me. I haven't replaced the windscreen but will probably within the next couple of years as mine is getting some chips in it. I regularly do 10-12 hour, 500-600 mile days, often back to back, with no problem. Longest day last year was 800+ miles, same setup but with stock saddle and a BeadRider. That was do-able but painful. 6'-0", 32" inseam, 205 lbs.

Over the years I've debated cylinder bars and highway pegs but decided that the fairing would probably hit my leg, so I haven't done them. I make it a point to get off and walk around every hour or hour and a half, and use that to stretch my legs. I have been seen to stand on the pegs for a while, GS style, late in the day ...

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    I have been seen to stand on the pegs for a while, GS style, late in the day ...

JayJay
    +1

Any time I'm below about 35 mph (and it's safe to do so) I do this. That said, heading south from St. Paul after the MOA Rally I looked in the LH rear-view mirror and one of the riders behind was standing at 65mph.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

OLD BULL

cyclinder guards and highway pegs

All of the suggestions about are valid. Some are rider specific. Don't think the highway pegs will necessarily be uncomfortable, I have a 2007 RT with Tourtech bars and Ilium pegs. During multiple 2000 mile plus trips and 500 mile plus days they have been invaluable, (old motocross knee). Also have Barbacks, Sargent seat, and CE Baileys windshield. All help.

As a side note I agree that standing up occasionally, at speed, is doable. That is if you are comfortable standing up on a moving motorcycle. Don't try it unless your are.

If you are not, borrow a dirt bike until you are.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    I went for the Corbin firmer is better approach. My engineering mind was thinking after the initial ride I had made a huge mistake as the seat is hard. But after breakin it performs as advertised. I am only good for about 200 on the factory marshmallow.
    Is it lower than the stock seat? Any Corbins I have seen look lower.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Is it lower than the stock seat? Any Corbins I have seen look lower.
    I had mine made 1inch higher than standard so that I could leave the seat at the low position. I knew I would only go up, but it was mostly a guess. However my riding partner has a standard Corbin and it seems pretty close to standard height. It is considerably wider, so if you are vertically challenged, it will make that worse. At 6'6", 34" inseam, and seat made 1" over, it is perfect. If I had it to do over again I would take the standard Corbin and just use the normal seat adjustment.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    +1

Any time I'm below about 35 mph (and it's safe to do so) I do this. That said, heading south from St. Paul after the MOA Rally I looked in the LH rear-view mirror and one of the riders behind was standing at 65mph.
    Sometimes on the highway if I'm riding alone, I will stretch by sitting on the pillion seat for a minute or so.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396