Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scheduled Maintenance For Paralever Pivot? '03 R1100S

Left Coast Rider

Scheduled Maintenance For Paralever Pivot? '03 R1100S

After doing the 9 - 3 o'clock (and the 12 - 6 o'clock) wiggle check mine seem fine, and I don't see any reference to this in the owner's manual, but is there a certain mileage at which the pivot bearings should be re-torqued/greased/renewed?

Thanks!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    After doing the 9 - 3 o'clock (and the 12 - 6 o'clock) wiggle check mine seem fine, and I don't see any reference to this in the owner's manual, but is there a certain mileage at which the pivot bearings should be re-torqued/greased/renewed?

Thanks!
    IMHO you should not re torque the bearings after they have been in service more than a few thousand miles. This is because the races brinell (dented) or corrode from the insufficient moisture seal. If you retorque the bearing will likely lock up on the dents or corrosion, and start sliding on the pivot pins. If your pivot pins are not well locktited they can then work loose. You will be replacing pivot pins along with the bearings, more $$ for a limited amount of miles. I pack all the extra silicone grease I can get in the bearing, trying to eliminate all air spaces. Then I pack more grease around the ends of the bearing before assembly. For me this has worked much better, my current set has 40K miles, longest so far, and they are still tight.

Rod

Out of 20 or so sets I have had the occasion to open and examine only one was not damaged to the point I wouldn't reuse. Most of these did not show any play when the wheel/tire was wiggled. It is now my assumption that the bearings will need to be replaced any time I remove a final drive.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    So gentlemen, with nearly 50k miles on the original pivot bearings, am I on borrowed time? I'd hate to get part way through next year and have to replace them. Could make a good winter project. And thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Out of 20 or so sets I have had the occasion to open and examine only one was not damaged to the point I wouldn't reuse. Most of these did not show any play when the wheel/tire was wiggled. It is now my assumption that the bearings will need to be replaced any time I remove a final drive.
    Paul,
    Do you still have a good impression of the durability of the JL bushings when properly greased and lubricated?
    Dave
    2004 R 1150 GS

Quote Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
    Paul,
    Do you still have a good impression of the durability of the JL bushings when properly greased and lubricated?
    Dave
    Yes. I have not had problems with ours at all.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks. I meant to say properly greased and torqued.
    2004 R 1150 GS

So gentlemen, with nearly 50k miles on the original pivot bearings, am I on borrowed time? I'd hate to get part way through next year and have to replace them. Could make a good winter project. And thanks for the input!
    Or...you could just purchase my Pencil Lead Gray/School Bus Yellow '04 that only has 19,874 miles (31,984km in Canadian terms) and rid yourself of those pesky worn out pivot bearings!

Of course, in the bargain you'd be getting a MUCH faster S bike!

Cheers!

PS. My membership is about to expire, so be quick with any witty rejoinders!
    Bill Johnston

Or, you could make me an offer that i just can't refuse on my one owner pristine '04RT WITH 46K miles that just had its pivot bearings checked, lubed, and re-torqued to 11 Nm then re-assembled without loctite. Hey, I even phased the drive shaft. My sub runs out in December so no hurry on the witty responses.
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Left Coast Rider
    1. Both SeabeckS and Jammess need to renew their memberships. I will accept no excuse for not doing so.

2. While your Pencil Lead Grey / School Bus Yellow "S" may be faster, I'd have to wear a paper bag over my head before and after riding it.

1. Both SeabeckS and Jammess need to renew their memberships. I will accept no excuse for not doing so.

2. While your Pencil Lead Grey / School Bus Yellow "S" may be faster, I'd have to wear a paper bag over my head before and after riding it.
    In reference to #1: That would be a no thanks on the membership renewal.
    Jammess

MOA # 50714

FREE paper bags included in sale price, get yours now!
    Bill Johnston

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Geez, you make it hard to pass up a deal like this!

Geez, you make it hard to pass up a deal like this!
    Yeah, we Scots drive a hard bargain.
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Duuuhhhh...free paper bags??
    Jammess

MOA # 50714