• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scheduled Maintenance For Paralever Pivot? '03 R1100S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
After doing the 9 - 3 o'clock (and the 12 - 6 o'clock) wiggle check mine seem fine, and I don't see any reference to this in the owner's manual, but is there a certain mileage at which the pivot bearings should be re-torqued/greased/renewed?

Thanks!

After doing the 9 - 3 o'clock (and the 12 - 6 o'clock) wiggle check mine seem fine, and I don't see any reference to this in the owner's manual, but is there a certain mileage at which the pivot bearings should be re-torqued/greased/renewed?

Thanks!

IMHO you should not re torque the bearings after they have been in service more than a few thousand miles. This is because the races brinell (dented) or corrode from the insufficient moisture seal. If you retorque the bearing will likely lock up on the dents or corrosion, and start sliding on the pivot pins. If your pivot pins are not well locktited they can then work loose. You will be replacing pivot pins along with the bearings, more $$ for a limited amount of miles. I pack all the extra silicone grease I can get in the bearing, trying to eliminate all air spaces. Then I pack more grease around the ends of the bearing before assembly. For me this has worked much better, my current set has 40K miles, longest so far, and they are still tight.

Rod

Out of 20 or so sets I have had the occasion to open and examine only one was not damaged to the point I wouldn't reuse. Most of these did not show any play when the wheel/tire was wiggled. It is now my assumption that the bearings will need to be replaced any time I remove a final drive.

So gentlemen, with nearly 50k miles on the original pivot bearings, am I on borrowed time? I'd hate to get part way through next year and have to replace them. Could make a good winter project. And thanks for the input!

Out of 20 or so sets I have had the occasion to open and examine only one was not damaged to the point I wouldn't reuse. Most of these did not show any play when the wheel/tire was wiggled. It is now my assumption that the bearings will need to be replaced any time I remove a final drive.

Paul,
Do you still have a good impression of the durability of the JL bushings when properly greased and lubricated?
Dave

So gentlemen, with nearly 50k miles on the original pivot bearings, am I on borrowed time? I'd hate to get part way through next year and have to replace them. Could make a good winter project. And thanks for the input!

Or...you could just purchase my Pencil Lead Gray/School Bus Yellow '04 that only has 19,874 miles (31,984km in Canadian terms) and rid yourself of those pesky worn out pivot bearings!

Of course, in the bargain you'd be getting a MUCH faster S bike!

Cheers! :groovy

PS. My membership is about to expire, so be quick with any witty rejoinders!:wave

Or, you could make me an offer that i just can't refuse on my one owner pristine '04RT WITH 46K miles that just had its pivot bearings checked, lubed, and re-torqued to 11 Nm then re-assembled without loctite. Hey, I even phased the drive shaft. My sub runs out in December so no hurry on the witty responses.:laugh

1. Both SeabeckS and Jammess need to renew their memberships. I will accept no excuse for not doing so.

2. While your Pencil Lead Grey / School Bus Yellow "S" may be faster, I'd have to wear a paper bag over my head before and after riding it. :D

1. Both SeabeckS and Jammess need to renew their memberships. I will accept no excuse for not doing so.

2. While your Pencil Lead Grey / School Bus Yellow "S" may be faster, I'd have to wear a paper bag over my head before and after riding it. :D

In reference to #1: That would be a no thanks on the membership renewal.

FREE paper bags included in sale price, get yours now! :laugh

at 50K, you are certainly "in the (replacement) zone" by miles. It really is not that tough a job- maybe a few hours of working carefully with no previous experience. you could wait until they go bad, but I'd have the parts on hand, ready to go. If I were in your circumstances, I
would not set out on a lengthy trip without having done them.

Unlike the big bearing, the pivot bearings won't grenade and ruin your trip.
You will have plenty of time to get home to replace the bearings when the looseness shows up.
Check it at regular intervals,like when you inspect your tires when on the centerstand.
I had one client who rode for 2+ years with play in the bearings. They were finally replaced when the forward seal started leaking on the FD.
That being said, at the mileage you stated it probably would not hurt to replace them.
My own machine is on it's 3rd set in 272,000 km. I had my FD off a couple months ago and set 3 was in perfect condition.
The trick is to torque them correctly with an accurate in/lbs torque wrench or a fish scale (which I use)
Check several times marking the end spot with a sharpie.

Attachments

• Bearing adj. tools.jpg
    Bearing adj. tools.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 37
Back