Thread: a cautionary tale

Exclamation a cautionary tale

I almost don't know where to begin. When I first took the MSF Begining Rider course some thirty-odd years ago, the instructor, Marjorie Jennings, told us "bikers will always stop to help."

Before I left on my nine-month tour of the U.S. and Canada with a big Broadway musical touring company, I'd dreamed of riding some of it, maybe shipping my bike and carving thru the Canadian Rockies. I test-flew all sorts of possibles. I corresponded with sevreal MOA members in both countries. Ultimately I decided travelling my helmet and gloves, and renting a bike occasionally would be the safest bet, given all the givens. When I joined the tour last March, I was elated to discover a fellow rider among the company. His circumstance was a bit different than mine, and it allowed him to ride the tour on his new machine. A bit of a newbie, but a devcent guy and I had someone to talk bikes with and we finally got ride together one gorgeous day in Vancouver.

fast forward several months...another company member comes to my dressing room and says our friend needs some help. While visiting the U.S. over the weekend, he's been detained back in the states. No one has the slightest notion as to the charge. The tour is moving to the next city tomorrow and something needs to be done about his bike. Can you help?

I recalled my conversation here on the forum with a local rider and sent a message to see if he could offer ideas or any help at all. He replied right away, and very generously offered to store the bike as long as neccesary till it could be shipped home. As summer turned to Fall, he even winterized it! Weeks passed. Then one day the authorities show up at his door informing him that although all the paperwork seems to be in order, if it came to pass that the machine had been purchased with the proceeds from a crime, he could be jailed!

I don't believe that will turn out to be the case, but I'm sure it's become far more of a PITA than either he or I ever imagined. So far, the lesson for me seems to be that bikers will, in fact, aways help. But when you ask, don't put them in jeopardy as well.

I wanted so much to do the right thing, and to help out. And I was so proud of the MOA and our willingness to help our brethren. The Canadian rider who I've put in this spot has been far far more than gracious, and completely understands all the ins and outs. He doesn't think he's in any real jeopardy. But what a huge PITA it's created for him!

I'm still proud, perhaps even moreso, of my association with this club, and with riders generally, but I'm humbled, and I hope a bit wiser.
    Last edited by 26667; 10-10-2014 at 04:11 PM. Reason: sbelling
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Sounds like a Sons Of Anarchy episode

Folks that ride to enjoy the ride know that stuff can go haywire. I am not hardcore, I don't have the biker persona or the tats and body jewelery to make a statement that I ride. Still though, I know the folks on two wheels earn a certain amount of reciprocal respect.

I love the comments in "wave, don't wave" and realized most don't get it. I wave at everybody on two wheels and have been known to wave at the neighbour's squirrel. It ain't about the wave, it's about a state of mind. Hence, asking another stranger for a favour is not about the details but a state of mind. Even the noobs deserve a chance to prove that that the bike is an expression and can be given some latitude to learn that we don't wear an allegiance to some club and we all have the ride in common.

I think your buddy is smart enough to know that even simple, innocent circumstances can take a life of their own. In your shoes, I would do the same. It was the right thing to do. Your other options, ignore for instance, I'm guessing would be more difficult. I am willing to bet the MOA member dealing with this has been around the block more than a few times with stuff like this.

If the guy helping you and your friend out is looking at the Yellow Stripes busting his nuts, that's their job and he knows they are just doing the job.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

Honestly, unless the officers are jerks, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you and the other good Samaritan can corroborate your stories, the police will just find a new storage space for the bike and ask for any info on the owner.

Now, as for Dieselyoda and his neighborly rapport with the Squirrel, that scares the bejesus out of me...........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Thumbs up true

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Folks that ride to enjoy the ride know that stuff can go haywire.

I think your buddy is smart enough to know that even simple, innocent circumstances can take a life of their own. ...MOA member dealing with this has been around the block more than a few times with stuff like this.

If the guy helping you and your friend out is looking at the Yellow Stripes busting his nuts, that's their job and he knows they are just doing the job.
    ...and he's expressed as much via email

The best part of the whole crazy pageant has been hearing/reading his perspective on the whole deal. He's quite a savvy, insightful, and articulate guy. MOre than food for thought. A seven course holiday meal!

You meet the ...most fascinating people on a ...BMW
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Now, as for Dieselyoda and his neighborly rapport with the Squirrel, that scares the bejesus out of me...........
    Obviously you have never watched the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show". Squirrels rule the world. You need to be friends with them. Just look at the havoc they can make much less what they can do to your dog, make him crazy.

About the American paranoia about terrorists, I have two words that should strike fear in everybody's spine, "Canada Geese". That's our national and very subtle way of taking over the USA. Besides taking down airplanes and making all your airports goose proof, we send them your way twice a year so you are faced to spend all your time washing your cars and avoiding the little bombs they leave behind. Have you ever tried to get close to a Canada Goose and make friends?? You guys spend tons of money on trying to shoot them and eat them and what does it get you, more goose poop.

Just think of how devastating they are to your economy. You buy all the guns and ammo and gear, head up here, pay us Canadians to take you hunting, then you have to buy us beers after a long exhausting day. All that money straight into the Canadian economy and you leave with tough, nasty birds that are damn near impossible to cook properly.

If you don't want to be our 11th province, you have to be nice to the squirrels.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

Rally Rat
    along the wisconsin river here in central wisconsin
    Squirrels are what's for dinner at my house ,greys and black ones ,these tree rats forever try to enter my attic space but ultimately come in contact with pba ammo from my air rifle or a old Indian square 4 trap.emmmmmmm good!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    If you don't want to be our 11th province, you have to be nice to the squirrels.
    I don't care if it's Al-Qaeda, ISIS or those honking pigeons from the land of hockey..........the good ole USA will never surrender. No matter how big or green they may be........those pigeon pellets are no match for our spirit, wallets or, need be, second mortgages. Not matter what, we'll match anybody in a fair fight....turd for turd.
    Last edited by 36654; 10-11-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Cool bikers

...!!!??? they don't even make a smilie for you guys

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    ...!!!??? they don't even make a smilie for you guys
    I've always been special..........