• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventurer

I really enjoy the KTM line and especially enjoyed the history of KTM. Part of that history is 'cause I'm old enough to remember the Penton.
There is a great thread over at ADV on KTM's History

I don't mind chains.....I don't mind belts.....Chains & Belts enabled the industrial revolution.
OM

I really enjoy the KTM line and especially enjoyed the history of KTM. Part of that history is 'cause I'm old enough to remember the Penton.

I don't mind chains.....I don't mind belts.....Chains & Belts enabled the industrial revolution.
OM

Interesting.....thanks for the link OM. No doubt they have stepped up their game within the last few years. They are putting out some strong bikes as of late. :thumb

Best I can tell- they are making the frames and doing the engineering. They then add all the high end components that would enhance the bike.
A while back I was interested in the 500cc dual-sport, registrable model but the allocations seem to be in short supply and I moved on.
I can remember running one of the first Pentons in the area, temperamental engine, kinda a box or rocks transmission and an odd overall feeling. It wasn't a bad feeling and sorta let the rider know that they were on to something and the best was yet to come :burnout
OM

Pretty bike. Yep very pretty. I also have plenty of time now that I'm retired to strip the bike completely to change a spark plug.

Sure looks like the cases would be the first thing to touch down. Not a good thing but the bike does look nice.

OM

OM, I had no idea of the history of KTM - very cool. For this bike I expect a chain and have no worries there. I have lived in a few neighbourhoods in my city (Calgary) and each has had a couple KTM owners. Unfortunately they have not been the lovers of quieter rides more common on BMWs and OMG are those bikes LOUD. Thanks for all the input.

The John Penton story on DVD is excellent. When the first Penton’s arrived they were a bit “unrefined” but even at my riding level. Even way back then, :gerg , it was easy to tell that Penton was on to something.
OM

You could probably run circles around a 1250 GS on one. I have 2 KTM's and 2 Beemers so I'll stop there.:thumb

It is much more powerful than the R1250GS, more of a competitor to the S1000XR. but with a 6 gallon tank.

Back