• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding to Cabo San Lucas Memorial Day Weekend 2015 - Looking for riders

jamesrford123

Greetings!

First time posting here, hopefully I'm in the right forum!

Planning on riding from Seattle down to San Diego then on to Cabo from there. We plan to be in San Diego on saturday May 23rd and taking 3 days to ride down to Cabo, arriving on tues the 26th. From there we will stay about 5 days then head back to the states, on the weekend, either on saturday the 30th or sunday the 31st.

Currently there are 2 of us riding on f800gsa. We are looking for a few more to go. Both of us are experienced riders.

We like to keep a quick pace and dont stop often. Usually only for fuel or food.

This will be the first time either of us have rode to cabo so if anyone has any hints/tips or tricks pleas let me know!

Also, I am aware there was a lot of looting and crime recently in cabo due to the hurricane.

But anyways, looking to have a good time and a fun ride down there. If anyone would be interested in going for any length of the trip, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

The word is they are recovering fast and will be happy to see some paying customers.
If conditions are still too bad in Cabo, head back to La Paz to stay there.
dc

All of Mexico would like to see more USD! The "narco worries" have kept people away in droves, even Mexicans travel less the past few years & it's taken a serious toll on tourism dollars down there.
You asked for hints-my "hint" is, that there's more to Mexico then Cabo -as the only place your really stopping is pretty but a very touristy place none the less. Make it less of an A to B affair...

Thanks for the replies!

As of right now the plan is to get from point A to B. But with any adventure its all about the journey not the destination. The main goal is to have a good time and enjoy riding but I'm not looking to ride aimlessly around Mexico either.

And hopefully this wont be the only time I ride Mexico!

The word is they are recovering fast and will be happy to see some paying customers.
If conditions are still too bad in Cabo, head back to La Paz to stay there.
dc

+1, Gunny; I heartily recommend staying in La Paz, Dos Cabos had become way too touristy! http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...e-Baja-California-Sur-Mexico&highlight=Loreto

Papa Chuy Viejo also highly recommends Loreto, we AZ Beemers ride into Mexico at least twice a year; either Baja Peninsula Sur or the Colonial Cities such as San Miguel de Allende, we AZB are also huge fans of Real de Catorce! You are aware I assume that Dos Cabos will be DAMN HOT at Memorial Day, we AZB never ride to Baja California Sur between May 1 and October 1. Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte!

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150591-fjr-forumites-ride-baja-peninsula-mexico/

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74285-Dual-Sporters-Ride-to-Old-Mexico-with-AZ-Beemers! Saludos y recuerdos: Since you are GS Riders, por favor consider yourself cordially invited to ride to Huasteca y Potosina with AZ Beemers next March.

http://www.motodiscovery.com/Huasteca-Mexico-Adventure-Expedition-Motorcycle-Tour

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638662&highlight=Batopilas And last, but certainly not least; if you have a F800GS like I do, you owe it to yourself to ride Barrancas del Cobre - Copper Canyon! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ai!

Last edited:
Yeah, I got to say Don is right about that date.
It gets hotter as you go further south. A date a month or two or three earlier would give you real nice weather at the south end. If not too bad at the north end.
There are people who say that summer is not really much hotter than winter down there. But it is much more humid.
dc

Yeah, I got to say Don is right about that date.
It gets hotter as you go further south. A date a month or two or three earlier would give you real nice weather at the south end. If not too bad at the north end.
There are people who say that summer is not really much hotter than winter down there. But it is much more humid.
dc

NOTE: Do not pass up getting gas in Catavina, with our F800GS tanks you will run dry before you make it to Guerrero Negro ese! Don't miss seeing Bahia de los Angeles! We AZ Beemers have been buying gas from Gerardo for many years, his fuel is fine!

Here we are at Catavina. Still raining, Still no Pemex station, you buy your gas from these guys.
IMG_0041.jpg

Here's where the famous Boojum trees start. These "trees" only grow in this one valley.
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Papa Chuy Viejo LOVES Bahia de los Angeles, I almost bought a vacation home here 25 years ago and I still regret not doing it. If so, I would be living in Bay of LA NOW! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte!

The overlook into Bahia LA is spectacular.
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Back