Thread: R1200RT 2013 Headlights

trumpetman

Unhappy R1200RT 2013 Headlights

One of my headlights needs replacing. Normally I would just jump into it and start disassembling things. This time I want to have to take as few body parts off as I can. So, has anyone out there done this before? And, if so, can you tell me the easiest way, besides taking it to the dealer, to do this?

Beleive it or not, it IS possible to change all 3 bulbs without removing any bodywork. I put the bike on the centerstand and reach in from the top. I don't think I could talk you through it though. I did all 3 in the dark last month on my honeymoon.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

Have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuvgi7Xt45E

Hope this helps
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    i replaced all three with the eyes of a co-worker....bars turned full to the left, standing on left side of the bike, hand, palm forward, up to the head light bulbs....GIANT PITA to do this...took is about 30 min the first time....i just recently lost another right side bulb and replaced it without any help....Helen Keller method and it only took me about 5 min....the retainer spring can be a bitch and the bulb socket is tight...so keep in mind that the bulb needs to be FULLY inserted into the housing, check from the front...

good luck...

wyman
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic