• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Moving around a garage options

mchad

Hi all. Replacing my R1200R, with a new S1000R next week (very excited!) Until I came to the realization that this bike has no center stand. This is a potential disaster for me, as where I live (condo/apartment) I have to park in a assigned space garage. I kept my R1200R behind my car, using a caddy like this under the center stand:
Motorcycle_Kick_Center_Stand_Dolly.jpg

It let me roll the bike to the back of my spot when there are cars on both sides. Now that the S1000R has no center stand, I have no way of using this, and at this point no way to park it when there are other cars in the lot.

I looked online a bit and don't see any way to add a center stand, so that's out. I did see a few "paddock stands" but can't find any with wheels which would allow me to swing the rear end around laterally (think "yaw")

Any suggestions?

And thanks.

I have four of the above referenced harbor freight rollers. Keep the wheels lubricated and they work great. Make sure to "lock" both ends before rolling onto the stand because if it starts to roll on you it can cause you to drop the bike.

I kept my R1200R behind my car, using a caddy like this under the center stand:
Motorcycle_Kick_Center_Stand_Dolly.jpg

I bought a cheap one like this but it wouldn't stay in place when I tried to get the bike on the center stand. I always have to rock the RT to get it up. Does yours stay in place?

............if it starts to roll on you it can cause you to drop the bike.

And, you know this because............. ? :brow

I have a Park and Move. Works very well with most bikes and not so well with others. Our lowered F650GS single cyl is very difficult to get on and off and the FJR is easy enough to get on but a bear to get off. The other bikes I have used on it (R12RT, R12R, F800GS, R100GSPD and a F650GS) were easy to use. I suspect the HF version may also be good with some and not so good with others. Never dropped a bike while using the P&M, done it a variety of other ways, but not with the P&M.

I have four of the above referenced harbor freight rollers. Keep the wheels lubricated and they work great. Make sure to "lock" both ends before rolling onto the stand because if it starts to roll on you it can cause you to drop the bike.

How hard is it to roll an RT onto the stand?

That looks like the ticket for non- centerstand bikes...we have three and would be nice to roll one around into a tight spot...guess I am headed to HF next week:newtoy

Used one of the HF jacks when I was riding darkside and had a single garage space and needed the car in the garage with the bikes. Best $99 I ever spent.

I bought a cheap one like this but it wouldn't stay in place when I tried to get the bike on the center stand. I always have to rock the RT to get it up. Does yours stay in place?

Yep, never a problem. In fact, it rolling was integral in getting the bike up on it. The dolly would roll forward a bit as the center stand came up.

akbeemer;958675I have a Park and Move. Works very well .........[/QUOTE said:
I have Kevin's used Park-n-Move. It works pretty well, but would work great if my garage had the pristine mirror smooth floors of Kevin's garage.....:wave

How hard is it to roll an RT onto the stand?

I use engine power with the RT and it rides right up, but I have rolled it, too. The CBR and DRZ are much easier to roll than the RT, but it can be done. But again, I use engine power.

And no, I did not drop the RT, but I had a bit of a scare when I didn't lock the wheels!

Back