• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Removing lock - Integral Cases

1der

The latch on my "94" K1100LT side case broke and I have the replacement latch. How do you remove and replace the lock? Tried a search with no luck.

1der,

I added "Integral Cases" to your title to be more specific.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" so here are four thousand words plus a few:

Here is your lock cylinder with the retaining tab protruding. This is what you must push back flush with the cylinder to remove the lock cylinder.

lock1.jpg

This is the latch in the open position.

lock2.jpg

This is where the retaining tab ends up with the cylinder inserted.

lock3.jpg

:dance:dance:dance

This is with the cylinder inserted showing the retaining tab in place. Push the tab in, pull on the key to remove cylinder. Some rotation helps.

lock4.jpg

To install cylinder, with key in the cylinder, push into the latch rotating counterclockwise until it is seated and stops rotating.

I was able to remove the lock assembly by pushing in the end detent spring on the end of lock. But now I'm unable to reinsert the lock assembly due to the spring not letting it in all the way. And to top it off my computer has a bug and unable to do much on it. Computer going into the shop Monday. Thanks for the help.
PS it's the R side case latch on the K1100LT

The latch hole has four slots. Start the lock cylinder with the locking tab in the slot that is at 3 o'clock. Push all the way in then rotate counterclockwise until it stops.

Trip computer? FI computer? What's it doing/not doing?

(I reread your post. If your talking home computer, we can't help you here. We all can barely post, email, and use ebay).

98lee,
Thanks...... Yes, pictures worth 4 thousands words. With the help of pictures AND a liberal amount of grease, along with a COUNTERclockwise rotation, lock cylinder popped into place. I'm good to go.
10-4 on (home) computer knowledge. In my case, lack of.

Back