• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Running lights recommendations?

SKENE photon BLASTERS are on the front of my 1600 and wifes C650gt, also both bikes have P3 lights in the back, both sets of lights increase bikes visibility, while not blinding other drivers/riders

I too run with Skene Photon Blasters on both of my current rides. And I have the P3s mounted on the rear. IMO, these are excellent products and they are designed and sold by a fellow BMW rider.

LED strips on the handguards

Since this thread is still going (the OP already made a choice), I'll throw in my handguard LED strips. I'm still very happy with them. The adhesive backing had to be reinforced with electrical tape at the strip ends, otherwise they are holding up very well. The entrance guards at work often remark how the bike clearly stands out from far away.

Here is the ADVrider post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22284175#post22284175

And one of the pics: IMG_20130908_193410.jpg

I, like some other posters on this thread, like the Skene Photon Blasters and P3 brake lights which flash before coming on solid red. Of course, there are other flashing brake lights and it is debatable whether the "Photon Blasters" are better or just equal to other amber running lights in a triangular position with the headlight. But, night or day, these are attention getters for people who are paying any attention at all to their driving.

When it comes to auxiliary front lighting for riding at night (I don't,) I would think one should consider where the majority of that night riding will take place. If it is mostly in traffic, then not blinding oncoming traffic is a very important consideration. If it is mostly on lonely highways in the West, then being able to see deer, etc. both a long ways off and to the sides can be critical.

Seems to me I have seen photos of "Iron Butt" bikes with a LOT of lights, presumably to handle both conditions. The addition of reflective tape, both front and rear, makes a lot of sense for those who ride at night.

Finally, please don't use your high beam in most daylight conditions. It actually makes you LESS identifiable as a motorcyclist.

Finally, please don't use your high beam in most daylight conditions. It actually makes you LESS identifiable as a motorcyclist.

We have most of our bikes triangled in the front and various setups for the rear . On one of the roadsters, the Piaa's are on brackets that mount on the signal stalks. ..they blend at a distance, my least favorite set-up. I noticed it again yesterday as my bro in law was two bikes behind me...I need to spread them out.

on the Airhead and the older 11xx roadsters the headlight is such a small target, leaving the high beam on is a plus to me.
I have been in front leading groups and the two models I mention disappear on low beam. Just my observation anyways.

high beam: small inconvenience for them, huge safety factor for us

In my experience, having the high beam on makes a huge difference reducing the rate of people changing into my lane right in front of me. On every commute I see one or two drivers that are quite obviously changing their mind. I do turn the high beam off when I'm standing behind somebody at a light (and turn it back on when traffic gets going again).

The wrap-around handguard LEDs on the other hand seem to help a bit with preventing lane changes right into me during dawn and dusk in fast flowing city traffic.

You still have to ride though like you are expecting the worst decisions from everybody around you, all the time.

I have Hyper-Lites flashing brake lights along with the OEM topcase light out back. If anyone hits me from behind its not because they didn't see my brake lights.

Up front I run Clearwater Darla lights mounted down low via BMW OEM mounts to make a light triangle. Then in between I have skene photon blasters which twitch when constant and flash with turn signals.

This combination makes my bike visible as much as possible.

Back