• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bike wanders, feels heavy in turns

Well, 10 months later and I have not again noted the symptoms described in my original post. Took bike into BMW-Tulsa a couple of weeks ago for the rear wheel flange replacement and tech could find no problem with front end. I'm suspecting rider fatigue may have been the problem! 4,000 mile trip coming up next month. Should know for sure afterwards. Thanks to all who have opined. Cheers!

I took my bike down to the Kansas City shop two times to have them check the ball joints on my bike after dealing with the problem for two years. Each time they took the bike for a test ride and said the bike was fine.
It was getting to the point where it was no fun to ride my bike and if I wanted to go for a day ride I would hop on my wife's bike.
Last month I called the Iowa City shop and and asked them to replace the ball joints. Don't bother checking them, just replace them.
I now enjoy riding my bike again :)
After dealing with this problem for two years I'm interested with going back to conventional forks.

Last edited:
Just returned from 4K mile trip out to Glacier NP and back. Had similar experience beginning several days into the trip - bike wanted to wander a bit at slow speed and seemed to wallow some in turns. I honestly didn't notice any problems until 2-3K miles into the trip. Would failing ball joint symptoms only appear like this? Same tires as last year; they have ~11K miles on them now and will replace soon. That should answer the question about whether it's the tires or something else. Unfortunately, I won't be absolutely certain until my next big trip next year.

I took my bike down to the Kansas City shop two times to have them check the ball joints on my bike after dealing with the problem for two years. Each time they took the bike for a test ride and said the bike was fine.
It was getting to the point where it was no fun to ride my bike and if I wanted to go for a day ride I would hop on my wife's bike.
Last month I called the Iowa City shop and and asked them to replace the ball joints. Don't bother checking them, just replace them.
I now enjoy riding my bike again :)
After dealing with this problem for two years I'm interested with going back to conventional forks.
Were your ball joint symptoms present all the time or only after several miles/hours of riding?

Were your ball joint symptoms present all the time or only after several miles/hours of riding?

Not all the time but most of the time.
Reading your post #23 makes it sound like worn tires are the problem.

Were you slabing it the first few days or on two lane roads where you had to slow down off and on during the day.

My 08 GT is feeling a bit loose again and I am thinking its the tires this time. I checked the ball joints and everything seems tight still with the replacements. The tires, PR4s, are nearly worn out and the front looks quite scalloped. I'll be able to run them out for the rest of this year and will change them before spring. I'm not as happy with the PR4s as I had been with the previous PR3s and PR2s. These ones did not last the same mileage and the odd front wear pattern is a concern so not sure what I'll put on this time.

Were you slabing it the first few days or on two lane roads where you had to slow down off and on during the day.
YES! I am meticulous about tire pressure and these tires had roughly 4K miles on them when the problem began. There was no visible signs of abnormal wear and I've never experienced this phenomenon before. Anyway, new PR4s are on the way! I'm hoping it is tires and not a suspension issue. Thanks for the info.

Determine if you have bad ball joints

In this whole thread I have not read whether or not you have actually ruled out your ball joints. With the bike on the center stand, just grab your wheel carrier on both sides and give it a back and forth tug. If you feel any movement, at all, your ball joints are bad. In my experience, it is the bottom one that goes before the top one, and that's the one that keeps you really steady in slow cornering. I have just replaced mine and it feels like a new motorcycle in the turns. I can really lean it now and it will hold a nice steady straight line. That's just my 2 cents

In this whole thread I have not read whether or not you have actually ruled out your ball joints. With the bike on the center stand, just grab your wheel carrier on both sides and give it a back and forth tug. If you feel any movement, at all, your ball joints are bad. In my experience, it is the bottom one that goes before the top one, and that's the one that keeps you really steady in slow cornering. I have just replaced mine and it feels like a new motorcycle in the turns. I can really lean it now and it will hold a nice steady straight line. That's just my 2 cents
Yes, I did exactly what you described shortly after my original post. I could detect no play. I also had the tech at the dealer in Tulsa check it when I had it in for the rear wheel flange replacement in July. He reported no problems. I will check it again. Thanks.

Back