• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seat Concepts anyone?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I was wondering if anyone has tried Seat Concepts for a motorcycle seat upgrade? They look pretty good, seem priced reasonable and you can install yourself- if you want.
I was specifically thinking of upgrading to "anything better" than the 2X6 that came with the TW200- first and then who knows.
They will put the kit on for $20.00 but there is the ship out and back so I figured I'd pick up a crown stapler and have at it.
http://www.seatconcepts.com
:ear
OM

I was wondering if anyone has tried Seat Concepts for a motorcycle seat upgrade? They look pretty good, seem priced reasonable and you can install yourself- if you want.
I was specifically thinking of upgrading to "anything better" than the 2X6 that came with the TW200- first and then who knows.
They will put the kit on for $20.00 but there is the ship out and back so I figured I'd pick up a crown stapler and have at it.
http://www.seatconcepts.com
:ear
OM

I watched the guys at the St Paul Rally and it seemed to go pretty well. Too bad, they didn't make a kit for my bike.

Relative to the staplers, you can usually get the HF upholstery stapler for ~$15 on sale or with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html

Otherwise, you can get a Surebonder unit from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-9600A-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B000EOJPC6/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Either way, you'll find many uses for these these pneumatic upholstery staplers.

Have one on a 1190 and it has been great. The nose is higher and a bit of a
dip at the rear for you to settle in. At their suggestion, I went with the sticky seat, great.
Well made and fun to install...except I had to return for help on stretching the front seat.
Think it was my fault, they did it on the day they got it and turned it around back
to me that day. Have met them at Overland and KTM events. Great people.
Allen.

I watched the guys at the St Paul Rally and it seemed to go pretty well. Too bad, they didn't make a kit for my bike.

Relative to the staplers, you can usually get the HF upholstery stapler for ~$15 on sale or with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html

Otherwise, you can get a Surebonder unit from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-9600A-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B000EOJPC6/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Either way, you'll find many uses for these these pneumatic upholstery staplers.
:thumb I watched their install video and it doesn't look too bad. As for the stapler, probably would get an Hitachi. I don't see a mention of stainless staples so going to stainless, I guess, would be a luxury.
OM

As for the stapler, probably would get an Hitachi.
OM

Good luck with that. I've never seen a Hitachi Upholstery stapler.

If you buy a gun that shoots Arrow T50 staples (both the Surebonder and HF unit supposedly do) you should be able to buy SS staples at your local Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fa...less-Steel-Staples-1000-Pack-506SS1/100553013

Sounds like a fun project for the winter. I just wish they made a kit for my R11RS. it would be interesting to build my own custom tailored seat.

I would buy the Hatchi narrow crown stapler. This gives me the option to use the staple fastning system for many other projects.
OM

I would buy the Hatchi narrow crown stapler. This gives me the option to use the staple fastning system for many other projects.
OM

Oh no.............I don't think you'll like that. Those staples are too thick and you want something short. I'll send a pic of the inside of my Rick Mayer rebuilt saddle. Lots of short T50 staples.

Remember, you're shooting into thin wall plastic and you want a wide footprint on the staple to minimize pressure on the fabric.

In my experience, a narrow crown stapler is great for holding power but leaves a great deal of surface damage. I use mine much less frequently than I use a 18-gauge nailer.

I'll have to check. I have many T-50 hand staplers and even the electric version. In general, I haven't been too happy once I moved past insulation. I was kinda surprised that the SC recommended stapler wasn't mentioned in their YouTube video.
I thought the stainless staples would be a nice touch as the staples now in the TW200 seat are really rusty.
OM

I'll have to check. I have many T-50 hand staplers and even the electric version. In general, I haven't been too happy once I moved past insulation. I was kinda surprised that the SC recommended stapler wasn't mentioned in their YouTube video.
I thought the stainless staples would be a nice touch as the staples now in the TW200 seat are really rusty.
OM

The Rick Meyer rebuild of my old seat used 22gauge fine wire staples. The T50's are similar to 20-gauge staples, but slightly different to preserve the trademark

I used their product for my GS. Totally satisfied. Didn't need the fancy stapler nor did I use the pneumatic stapler ('cause I couldn't find the right staples for it!). Used a regular T50 style stapler. Worked like a charm. Very durable and much more comfortable then the 2x6 delivered by the boys in Berlin.

I purchased Seat Concepts upgrade kit for my Suzuki DRZ-400E and it was worthwhile for the money. It was about $150 IIRC. Their seat was slightly wider at the back and had thicker padding towards the front. I went with their 'gripper' material which has a 'pebbled' finish and keeps you from sliding too much on the seat. It was a significant improvement over the stock seat. They are not in a class with more expensive seat upgrades I have tried such as Russell Day Long, Sargent, and Corbin but for the price paid for use on a dual sport, I am happy.

Seat concepts seat foam is harder than stock, but it molds to your personal shape and is comfortable after a while. I had one on my 2005 R1200GS, and now on my 2015. No miles on the 15 yet, but it feels good initially.

As for mounting them, I have done several. I use a standard manual T-50 stapler with 3/16" staples. Not hard at all.

My 2005:

SeatCover1.jpg

SeatCover3.jpg

SeatCover5.jpg

SeatCover19.jpg

SeatCover20.jpg

SeatCover21.jpg

SeatCover25.jpg

SeatCover35.jpg

SeatCover41.jpg

SeatCover68.jpg

SeatCover70.jpg