• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R1200RS Announced

A center stand is now an option?

I guess I've been wrong all these years. Should been like a real biker and used the kick stand.......

Saw one yesterday...the R1200RS

I like it a lot. Not a huge fan of the windshield, but that's a cosmetic thing. If it works, I'd be fine with it. The bike they had at the show did not have the tall seat on it. Even with the seat that was on it, my legs and knees were OK, but would be better with a slightly taller seat. The base price isn't bad, but then, why not get the premium package? That likely puts it closer to the RT price, but I still like the looks and feel of the RS more, especially since I would literally never have a passenger.

Wonder if I could get a mount for my Givi V46 to put on the back of a brandy new R1200RS?

Time, as they say, may tell...

;)

The S1000XR is TALL. I can flatfoot my wife's 1200GS and was on my toes on the XR.

Saw one of these and sat on it as well. For the type of riding that I do, I'd choose one of these over the GS.

I bet this thing will rip, and I'd like to give that a whirl.

Should you buy buy one from the first batch that comes to the US?

I have a deposit on the first batch of R1200RS bikes to come into my dealer. To purchase the first run of a bike a mistake? Or should I just go with a RT since it will pretty much cost the same after the cases and Aprok. exhaust is installed on the RS.

Wonder if I could get a mount for my Givi V46 to put on the back of a brandy new R1200RS?

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but that would be a styling "don't" .... :nod :)

Of course, I ride GS... so what do I know about styling? :ha

I have a deposit on the first batch of R1200RS bikes to come into my dealer. To purchase the first run of a bike a mistake? Or should I just go with a RT since it will pretty much cost the same after the cases and Aprok. exhaust is installed on the RS.

There is nothing new in the RS or R engine or drive train, the front shocks are S1000R/R nine T...so are also proven.

What risk? why wait?

I've purchased many "first run" bikes. Never regretted it. You want an RS, right? As already stated, why wait?

I think that BMW was the pioneer of telescopic forks back in the 30's. Then in the mid 50's switched to Earles forks. That had a about a 15 year run. Back to telescopics in late '69. Seems they try different systems, then back to telescoptics. I guess better technology has improved this somewhat staid system to be more cost effective and still be state of the art in steering and suspension.

I have heard that for the naked or near naked bikes, a center mounted radiator made the telelever impractical. That probably makes sense since styling around side mounted radiators would be difficult.

I think the main reason to go to the telescopic front suspension in to reduce complexity and weight while providing better performance.

The main advantage of the tele lever was the anti-dive feature of it's geometry and reducing STRICTION of the fork seal. Today technology has made both of these issues more easily solve with electronics. With electronic controls of the suspension, anti-dive can easily be accomplished via the computer, as well as adaptive suspension control for superior results.

Likely this solution cost's less too. Technology keeps on advancing. Good Stuff!

I had the opportunity to examine the new RS this weekend. Unlike the RT, the RS fairing is very narrow. I don't see how they could have split the rad into two parts and stuff them under there. Judge for your self.

Attachments

• 2015_02_210149.jpg
    2015_02_210149.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 268
Will be very surprised if the telelever is on the 2016 RT , it would be the lone model.

Will be very surprised if the telelever is on the 2016 RT , it would be the lone model.

Nah, the current RT will be around for maybe 8-9 years like the last one. There will be a facelift 1/2 to 2/3 through the run, but it won't likely be a chassis change.

Nah, the current RT will be around for maybe 8-9 years like the last one. There will be a facelift 1/2 to 2/3 through the run, but it won't likely be a chassis change.

I agree, the RT and the GS both share the tele lever suspension....and those models are BMW best sellers by a very wide margin. BMW would be very foolish to upset those customers. Both the GS and the RT have been refreshed recently. BMW is on an atleast a 5 year design cycle.

My guess, if there is competitive pressure, to reduce the weight of the GS after 5 years or so, BMW might release a lighter version with conventional forks, maybe evan a chain drive. along with models of the traditional GS with shaft and tele lever design...this would keep traditional buyers and more competitive buyers both happy.

Back