• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New R1200RS Announced

Shouldn't be too hard. Just think of the money you will save.

Me, I'll keep my '93 R1100RSL and my money!

But, but....it's finally a new RS model!:groovy

I'll give it a look. Should be less expensive than an RT waterhead, albeit not by much.

wish list

Long story, but I couldn't keep my '78 RS. I loved riding that machine. Mostly I loved the slightly aggressive posture. I found it comfortable. I also love my 2000 RT but wish I could lean a bit forward as i did on my airhead RS. Can't I change out the bars? ...or something?

aside from the $$$$, after looking at more pix, I think the new RS looks far more sport than touring. I thought the airhead version was a better balance of the two.

Long story, but I couldn't keep my '78 RS. I loved riding that machine. Mostly I loved the slightly aggressive posture. I found it comfortable. I also love my 2000 RT but wish I could lean a bit forward as i did on my airhead RS. Can't I change out the bars? ...or something?

aside from the $$$$, after looking at more pix, I think the new RS looks far more sport than touring. I thought the airhead version was a better balance of the two.

At the time of its manufacture, your '78 RS was criticized for its bar positioning. Personally, I liked them then and I still do. There's only one way to know if the new RS will fit you - and its not from looking at pictures. When they come into your dealership, go and try one on for size. Who knows, you might like it! And the aftermarket folks are always ready to service a need if there's money in it so they may be able to help you with a bar change if its required.

BTW, I saw a mint condition matte silver RS on the road the other day. That bike is a timeless classic. :thumb

Last edited:
a little off topic but here goes...

...could I, for example, on my 11 RT, switch the bars out to maybe 1100 RS bars, or some other, and be a little more forward?

I suppose I could look at pix of the RS, but i thought it might be a good Q here

Or should I just spend the money on lottery tix?:brow

BTW, I saw a mint condition matte silver RS on the road the other day. That bike is a timeless classic. :thumb

Amazing how small the old airheads look on the road nowadays, tho. We passed an Airhead Rt recently on a freeway. Coming up behind it, it looked really tiny- especially the rear tire. Love my 93 R100RS, tho for sure.

The new one? Jury's still out. Looks a lot like a Triumph Sprint GT with a boxer motor in it... I'll wait to see one in person before submitting a final opinion. However, the pillion position looks reasonably comfy, just from viewing the pix. Always a bonus in my book.

OK folks, 'splain to me the BMW designations on their bikes. Obviously, I'm not a long-term Beemer rider or I would know this stuff but ... what does the manufacturer say are the different intended views of their bikes? For instance, how is the RS supposed to differ from the ST of a similar model? And the R vs. the S or the RS? Do the letters painted on the plastic signify anything other than the desire to attract new buyers?

I think I have the GSs figured out; they are taller, have knobby-looking tires, and those weird looking beaks. And I think BMW wants to sell them to riders who want to seem more adventurous. What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that the names are a product of marketing, not engineering. Ever notice how many cars have DX in their model number. Marketing folks think that fools you into thinking Deluxe without having to spell it out which is a good thing as most DX cars are anything but Deluxe :D The names have no real meaning and the assumed meaning can change over time.

Here is one take on BMW Motorcycle model naming: http://www.motorcycle.com/events/bmw-product-name-history-86961.html

RS, according that article, once stood for Rennsport (race sport) , then later Reisesport (travel sport).

You are missing the fact that the names are a product of marketing, not engineering. Ever notice how many cars have DX in their model number. Marketing folks think that fools you into thinking Deluxe without having to spell it out which is a good thing as most DX cars are anything but Deluxe :D The names have no real meaning and the assumed meaning can change over time.

Here is one take on BMW Motorcycle model naming: http://www.motorcycle.com/events/bmw-product-name-history-86961.html

RS, according that article, once stood for Rennsport (race sport) , then later Reisesport (travel sport).

I read the article. Wow. Do they make it that complicated on purpose? Maybe to confuse potential buyers? I wonder if any salesperson knows this stuff?

I believe that few sales people know but that won't stop some of them from making something up to add to the confusion. :deal

The issue is that every marketing head in the world believe s/he's got a better way and that the previous folks got it wrong. So they make changes. Sometimes the changes are well thought out... sometimes not. Over time things make no sense. If it sounds like I'm dumping on marketing folks I'm not. They work within the global zeitgeist and what is new/exciting/in for one generation is meaningless (at best) for another.

Anyway, I'm a GS guy. The new RS doesn't appeal to me regardless of what RS means. I'm sure that those who like RS ergonomics will like this bike, especially with the dynamic riding modes option. I'm basing that opinion on the difference between road and dynamic on my GS. It's like changing bikes. :thumb

I had an Airhead RS for many years, and, apart from the bar positioning, I never realized how poor the bar leverage was. Then I got an Oiler RS, and was surprised that I cold hold constant arcs on cloverleaf off ramps, and ride in gravel.:doh

So anyone here thinking of getting the new RS? This thing has really wormed its way into my head. :D

So anyone here thinking of getting the new RS? This thing has really wormed its way into my head. :D

I am. To me, with its half fairing, it looks more like an evolutionary "S". I'm liking all the changes/improvements. BMW can rightly say its completely new, not just bold new graphics :laugh. I'm giving it some serious thought.

If you do not like the bars on the RS, you can actually put the R1200R bars on it. The bar mounts are in the triple clamp under the RS bar casting. Just add the bar and clamps. I do not know if the cables and hoses will reach. You can also use standard bar-backs. The bar casing bolts into the standard R1200R bar clamp holes in the triple clamp. The RS is just an R with a faring.

Back