Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New R1200RS Announced

Left Coast Rider

New R1200RS Announced

Its short fairing looks more like an evolution of the "S" but whatever. And its got the wasser-motor. USD forks replace the telelever setup. Looks like a Ducati-esque tubular frame.

Short press release and pictures here....

http://canadamotoguide.com/2014/09/3...0-rs-unveiled/

Looks really nice! Still think I'd prefer my RT as it looks more sport than tourer.
    Current rides:
    2013 R1200RT 90th - "Tyr" - 85k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - "Carl" - 2500 miles
    Previous BMWs: 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

Damn them How am I to remain happy on my R1150RS now.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Damn them How am I to remain happy on my R1150RS now.
    Shouldn't be too hard. Just think of the money you will save.

Me, I'll keep my '93 R1100RSL and my money!
    Jammess

'93 R1100RSL, '10 FJR1300A
    MOA # 50714

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by jammess View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard. Just think of the money you will save.

Me, I'll keep my '93 R1100RSL and my money!
    But, but....it's finally a new RS model!

I'll give it a look. Should be less expensive than an RT waterhead, albeit not by much.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Question wish list

Long story, but I couldn't keep my '78 RS. I loved riding that machine. Mostly I loved the slightly aggressive posture. I found it comfortable. I also love my 2000 RT but wish I could lean a bit forward as i did on my airhead RS. Can't I change out the bars? ...or something?

aside from the $$$$, after looking at more pix, I think the new RS looks far more sport than touring. I thought the airhead version was a better balance of the two.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    Long story, but I couldn't keep my '78 RS. I loved riding that machine. Mostly I loved the slightly aggressive posture. I found it comfortable. I also love my 2000 RT but wish I could lean a bit forward as i did on my airhead RS. Can't I change out the bars? ...or something?

aside from the $$$$, after looking at more pix, I think the new RS looks far more sport than touring. I thought the airhead version was a better balance of the two.
    At the time of its manufacture, your '78 RS was criticized for its bar positioning. Personally, I liked them then and I still do. There's only one way to know if the new RS will fit you - and its not from looking at pictures. When they come into your dealership, go and try one on for size. Who knows, you might like it! And the aftermarket folks are always ready to service a need if there's money in it so they may be able to help you with a bar change if its required.

BTW, I saw a mint condition matte silver RS on the road the other day. That bike is a timeless classic.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 10-06-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Question a little off topic but here goes...

...could I, for example, on my 11 RT, switch the bars out to maybe 1100 RS bars, or some other, and be a little more forward?

I suppose I could look at pix of the RS, but i thought it might be a good Q here

Or should I just spend the money on lottery tix?
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Out There Somewhere ricochetrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    BTW, I saw a mint condition matte silver RS on the road the other day. That bike is a timeless classic.
    Amazing how small the old airheads look on the road nowadays, tho. We passed an Airhead Rt recently on a freeway. Coming up behind it, it looked really tiny- especially the rear tire. Love my 93 R100RS, tho for sure.

The new one? Jury's still out. Looks a lot like a Triumph Sprint GT with a boxer motor in it... I'll wait to see one in person before submitting a final opinion. However, the pillion position looks reasonably comfy, just from viewing the pix. Always a bonus in my book.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

OK folks, 'splain to me the BMW designations on their bikes. Obviously, I'm not a long-term Beemer rider or I would know this stuff but ... what does the manufacturer say are the different intended views of their bikes? For instance, how is the RS supposed to differ from the ST of a similar model? And the R vs. the S or the RS? Do the letters painted on the plastic signify anything other than the desire to attract new buyers?

I think I have the GSs figured out; they are taller, have knobby-looking tires, and those weird looking beaks. And I think BMW wants to sell them to riders who want to seem more adventurous. What am I missing?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

You are missing the fact that the names are a product of marketing, not engineering. Ever notice how many cars have DX in their model number. Marketing folks think that fools you into thinking Deluxe without having to spell it out which is a good thing as most DX cars are anything but Deluxe The names have no real meaning and the assumed meaning can change over time.

Here is one take on BMW Motorcycle model naming: http://www.motorcycle.com/events/bmw...ory-86961.html

RS, according that article, once stood for Rennsport (race sport) , then later Reisesport (travel sport).

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    You are missing the fact that the names are a product of marketing, not engineering. Ever notice how many cars have DX in their model number. Marketing folks think that fools you into thinking Deluxe without having to spell it out which is a good thing as most DX cars are anything but Deluxe The names have no real meaning and the assumed meaning can change over time.

Here is one take on BMW Motorcycle model naming: http://www.motorcycle.com/events/bmw...ory-86961.html

RS, according that article, once stood for Rennsport (race sport) , then later Reisesport (travel sport).
    I read the article. Wow. Do they make it that complicated on purpose? Maybe to confuse potential buyers? I wonder if any salesperson knows this stuff?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I believe that few sales people know but that won't stop some of them from making something up to add to the confusion.

The issue is that every marketing head in the world believe s/he's got a better way and that the previous folks got it wrong. So they make changes. Sometimes the changes are well thought out... sometimes not. Over time things make no sense. If it sounds like I'm dumping on marketing folks I'm not. They work within the global zeitgeist and what is new/exciting/in for one generation is meaningless (at best) for another.

Anyway, I'm a GS guy. The new RS doesn't appeal to me regardless of what RS means. I'm sure that those who like RS ergonomics will like this bike, especially with the dynamic riding modes option. I'm basing that opinion on the difference between road and dynamic on my GS. It's like changing bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    At the time of its manufacture, your '78 RS was criticized for its bar positioning.
    BMW hasn't offered bars as radical as R100RS bars since.

Even Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez ride with less radical bars.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S