• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rough Monday:

B

BUBBAZANETTI

2 pm: leave work early due to feeling sick

2:30 pm: on the way home notice some "surging" at around 4800 or so in 3rd, run up and down a bit in different gears to see if i can isolate the problem

2:33 pm: while doing these "performance checks" i get pulled over comming around a corner at 70 in a 50. (this was my 3rd within a year, so i'm gonna appeal, see if i can keep the my liscence)

any suggestions about the surging and ticket appreciated...............

Bubba,

Park the bike for a few days and spend the repair money on your defense, instead. You watch; people will start showering you with advice, giving you web links and the like. If the consequences are loss of license and insurance premium hikes, get smart, ignore laymens' advice (especially from the internet), do your local realtime homework and hire a professional. Good luck.

Fred

bubba,

this worked for me, so let me advise you that on your first day in the slammer, pick out someone mean-looking, pick a fight, and beat the sh!t out of them. this will get you some respect, and make your stay there less unpleasant.

as for fighting the ticket, there have been some old discussions on here regarding this. do a quick search. i'm in the "take your medicine" camp. if the law messes with me, i mess back. if it catches me breaking the law, i take my lumps. others have different philosophies of course.

some lawyers can get tickets properly fixed, i recommend getting one of those guys. youre in the "it's cheaper than losing my license" camp now. sorry to hear that. keep us posted.

Sell the bike, get another airhead use the left over money to pay for a real defense team.

Did you ever pay that other ticket from another state?

Most states ( probably all) have attorneys that specialize in getting you off of tickets. You will pay the same as the ticket would cost plus some legal fees but you keep your license and your insurance does not go up. In NC my attorney ( part of a large practise) had a county by county list of attorneys that could get you off. Ask around and find out who does it in your state.

BubbaZanetti said:
2 pm: leave work early due to feeling sick

2:30 pm: on the way home notice some "surging" at around 4800 or so in 3rd, run up and down a bit in different gears to see if i can isolate the problem

Let me get this straight.... You leave work EARLY, FEELING SICK, and you happen to have a BMW sitting in the parking lot. Yeah, uh huh.

You deserve a ticket. :nyah

Tough break. Yup. I would say look for a alwyer. Just remember you usually get what you pay for with advice.

RTRandy said:
I say . . Hello Radar detector !

got wrecked in the rain on the way home from Lima

i guess i'm looking for some sort of financial balance between hiring a lawyer/trying to plead myself (mass is fairly relaxed w/the suspension thing for a first timer if you can prove you need your liscence cause of a long commute) at this point, even with the additional insurance points, i'm still only a step 15 (which is considered the "base step", no "good" pts, no "bad" pts) but its still a lot more than i was paying as a step 10 this time last year............

BubbaZanetti said:
got wrecked in the rain on the way home from Lima

If your current detector can't be revived and you plan to replace it, I'd recommend the Garmin 276C since it's waterproof. . It's a great unit only the size and shape my not work as well on some of the naked bikes with limited mounting options.

Good luck on resolving the ticket.

RTRandy said:
If your current detector can't be revived and you plan to replace it, I'd recommend the Garmin 276C since it's waterproof. . It's a great unit only the size and shape my not work as well on some of the naked bikes with limited mounting options.

Or you could just slow your ass down. :nyah

RTRandy said:

why would someone replace a radar detector with a GPS?

New Glassess

Bubba, you need to get your glassess fixed the presciption for 70/50 is going to cost you more than the loss of you detector in the rain. Hope Tuesday is better.

Good Luck

My heartfelt condolances Bubba. Speeding, and getting away with it is an artform. Some of the skills a rider must use for simple survival on the road apply, plus others. A sixth sense doesn't hurt either. In fourty years I have received three warnings and no citations, never used a radar detector, the last twenty seven years driving big rigs (no CB). Counting on a detector to save your @ss won't help with "instant on" either. You are also riding a bright yellow target, should be better in the fall when the leaves change?

Good luck!

Tim (surging can be expensive)

SFDOC said:
Hope Tuesday is better.

tuesday was better, but wednesday was almost a lot worse. i really, really gotta slow down and not let bikes comming up behind me on twisty roads get the best of me (thanks whoever that was on the 650 Dakar that tried pushing me past two cops at 80 in a 50, come to think of it, didn't know bmw 650s could go that fast....................)

Years ago I was driving home in an Austin Healey 3000 I was restoring. The temperature gauge started jumping, making me suspect the water pump was begining to go. I gunned the engine to run the rpm's up and get all out of the wp I could. Luck would have it an LEO was johnny on the spot to reward my efforts at keeping the engine from overheating. I can certainly sympathize. The LEO was unwilling to listen to reason then. Guess nothing changes the drive for civic revenue.

RTRandy said:
I say . . Hello Radar detector !
Well lets see.. in PA only the State Troopers use Radar (it's the law).. the rest use VASCAR (fancy names for stopwatches) and if your state has issued Lasers. FORGET it.. the only thing laser detectors do is let you know you've been zinged, and it's time to sign the ticket..

Got nailed in Brookville PA by Vascar... by LASER on I-270 coming N out of DC..

Back