• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SENA 10R & Nav. V ?

tubaguy

NYrider
I'm loving the new RT and I'm still learning all of the electric bells and whistles. I have most of it all worked out except I can't seem to get the voice/speak directions in my helmet.
I have the SENA 10R and I'm getting sound from my phone and the radio when wanted. Now I can't seem to get the voice directions from Nav. V. I'm following the instructions closely. I unpair and start over with no results. Any help would be appreciated.

Try going into the nav settings and press the mute button. It may currently be muted.
It's not muted. I enabled the bluetooth and checked "discoverable". The loudspeaker is off on the bike as required. Then I tried the media pairing and multipoint pairing on the SENA. It finds the radio and my phone when wanted, but it keeps saying unsuccessful when pairing with the Nav. V. I tried unpairing everything first. Don't know what else to try.

On my 2012 RT the bike came with wiring to wire NAV IV sound to the radio. Then it's Bluetooth from the radio to my helmet.

Go to settings then blue tooth on the Nav V. Make sure it is discoverable. It should find the headset. I am not sure about the Sena I have the BMW communicator.

Go to settings then blue tooth on the Nav V. Make sure it is discoverable. It should find the headset. I am not sure about the Sena I have the BMW communicator.
Did that. I'm going to try what it says on page 12 of the SENA instructions. Connect the phone first via multi point pairing. Then pair the phone with Nav V. Then both will operate through the SENA. We'll see. But any other comments are welcome.

Try this

I don't have an RT but I have a 1600GTL with a Nav V and Sena 10. I was having the same problem and found that if I paired the Sena to the radio and my iPhone only, using this process http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/15721-pairing-sena-smh10-bike.html then everything worked.

To get voice directions from the Nav V in my helmet I have to push the mute button on the face of the Nav V (looks like a speaker), the unit will then show it's muted. I then un-mute the Nav V by pushing the speaker again and you should get voice directions. It has worked every time for me. You have to do this every time the Nav V restarts.

I took my bike in for service a week ago and was telling the service manager about it and he took the Nav V and updated the software and thought that should fix it. I didn't think to try it on the way home.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
On my RT with NAV IV hard wired to the BMW radio, radio automatically mutes when gps has something to say. Maybe it's different with NAV V, but would recommend hardwiring the NAV to the radio using the BMW harness that came with the bike. This means of course you never have to Bluetooth pair the NAV, just the radio.

On my RT with NAV IV hard wired to the BMW radio, radio automatically mutes when gps has something to say. Maybe it's different with NAV V, but would recommend hardwiring the NAV to the radio using the BMW harness that came with the bike. This means of course you never have to Bluetooth pair the NAV, just the radio.
This sounds really good, but I don't know how to hard wire anything, and I don't want to void my warranty if I mess something up. I tried many things today with no good results.
Is there anyone in my area with this set up, RT, GS or GT, that has figured this out, and that I could possibly meet to see how it's done? PM me if so. Thanks.

Last edited:
The answer to your problem--if it were my 2012 RT--is that the wiring is there from the factory.

I bought it used but just a month old and the dealer had already connected it.

I think yours is very likely the same and already connected, but can guess it's a little harder to see the wiring on a K1600.

A little conversation with dealer service manager couldn't hurt.

Bluetooth does baffle me a bit, but maybe you could unpair your NAV and then see if you can hear it via radio. I assume but never experimented that radio has to be on and not muted.

On the new 2014 Rt, when the nav 5 is in the mount, it is already wired to the bmw audio. By default it is muted every time you shut down the bike. To unmute, go to the nav page on the bmw menu, scroll down to mute with the rotary control and then enter by pushing to the right. Scroll up one to speak and press the rotary control to right,if you have a destination put in it will announce your next turn. In this way you can test the gps announcement. You need to unmute like this every time you restart. No need to pair your helmet to the gps.

On the new 2014 Rt, when the nav 5 is in the mount, it is already wired to the bmw audio. By default it is muted every time you shut down the bike. To unmute, go to the nav page on the bmw menu, scroll down to mute with the rotary control and then enter by pushing to the right. Scroll up one to speak and press the rotary control to right,if you have a destination put in it will announce your next turn. In this way you can test the gps announcement. You need to unmute like this every time you restart. No need to pair your helmet to the gps.

This worked. Thanks Jim!

Back