Thread: '02 F650GS DAKAR Dirt deflector thingy ?

Question '02 F650GS DAKAR Dirt deflector thingy ?

I was out this past weekend and one of the guys had a "dirt deflector thingy" that mounted to his rear swing arm and covered the rear tyre enough to stop crap being slung up on the rear light/tag etc. I know he was on a 1100GS of some sort and wondered if this was a factory option or an add on item. Didn't get the brand name and was wondering if there was one available for my bike ?
    Cheers,
    Ian.
    Ian Robert "Scoobs" Scobie

'92 K75RT, '02 F650GS Dakar;
    But fondly miss.. R80RT, R45,CB250RS,DT125MX,TS100

The thing you are talking about is called a rear tire hugger by some companies a mud sling by others or just an inner fender. Some huggers are designed to fit over the rear of the back tire to limit spray of the tire and some are designed to fit over the front portion of the rear tire to protect the shock and under the seat. I have them mounted on several of our bikes and they do make a big difference. Machineart Moto makes them for several bikes and I've seen reference to a hugger over on the chain gang site (f650.com). Search and you may get lucky. Don't forget eBay. Touratech makes a rear shock guard, but it is not what you are looking for I believe. Wunderlich makes an Extreme Inner Fender / Chain Guard that just may be what you want. Good Luck.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Factory Items numbered 14,15,16 - affectionately referred to as a "possum scraper". Pricey if you have to buy all three pieces.The online BMW parts fiche is your friend.

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Hmmm, guess I should have read his post more closely. Well now scoobs can cover both ends of the tire.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana