• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Germany, Motorcycle Tours?

glenb

Has anyone here taken a rental motorcycle tour in Germany?

If so, I would be interested to hear a bit about the experiences and the rental providers/costs etc?

I have several friends who have used this agency. He (Stephan Knopf) is usually at the National Rally

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Rental.html

+1, Gunny on Stefan Knopf. We AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 use Knopf Motorrad Reisen when we ride the Alps and Dolomites. We also stay at his Hostel.

Here I"m packing up my rental R1150RT before our AZB Group heads to Austria. One of the best values Stef has: His fleet of K75's, perfect for solo riders.

IMG_2722.jpg

Never rented a bike in Germany, but I lived and rode there for six years. I recommend Knopf in Handschuhsheim. Right across the Necker River from Heidleberg, a great town to visit.

BTW Starting in Germany is OK, but best riding is NOT in Germany.

Since I have not been to Europe since I was a kid in the mid 1960's so my memories are from a long time ago and not from a riders perspective, I am interested to know why that is.

Since I have not been to Europe since I was a kid in the mid 1960's so my memories are from a long time ago and not from a riders perspective, I am interested to know why that is.

I suspect he is suggesting that the greater riding is in the Alps. SW France, Switzerland, Austria, Northern Italy and southern Bavaria all have a lot to offer in my opinion. I like Normandy as well, but not riding thru much of France that it takes to get there. Scotland is a great place as well. I never made it to Spain, Portugal or the former Soviet block counteries. There are folks on the forum that ride in Europe regularly that I imagine will chime in.

I assume you are going for mountains, and twisty roads. Germany has a few around the borders, but the northern edge of the Alps is at the South end of Germany. Black forest has nice roads but similar to the Appalachians, Central Germany is rolling farm land, not unlike across the border in WNY

If my assumptions are wrong and you just want to check out the countryside there is plenty of that, but if you are going that far to ride, you might as well ride roads you can't find in N America, and scenery that only the Alps has. When I go from Munich, I make a bee line for Austria, and Italy.

Latest ride report, in progress here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003462

Ride across the border sometime and buy me a cup of coffee, and you can pick my brain about Europe touring.

Thanks for the info.

I was more interested in checking out the countryside, in regards to mountains, I really am acrophobic, so I am not sure how that would work for me anyway ;)

I am just "kicking tires" for a future wish list.

we have had a lot of expenditures this year so for the interim, I will likely content myself with running some of our more scenic roads around here and coming home and cooking up some schnitzel and washing it down with some http://thebeerlist.ca/holsten-premium/ :lol

Oktoberfest is in season too, and my local beer store has 20+ different ones to sample. Goose Island is my favorite Marzen so far.

Oktoberfest is in season too.

I just about forgot that, too :blush

Just realized I should have mentioned, so as not to give the wrong impression, I do have a strictly "beer after the ride" policy for myself. For me, beer impairs functioning and removes some inhibitions, not a good combination for me on a bike. ;)

DId All of Europe on a rental by myself, want to do it again, Want to Go??

If so, I would be interested to hear a bit about the experiences and the rental providers/costs etc?

OK, went last year, for 35 days including Eastern Europe and Turkey... WONDERFUL.. Have bee there about 5 times or more with tour groups.

I wish to go again o, come with me, I did it for low dollars, I speak some German, stay in Gasthaus and small hotel. Whole thing was cheap..

I intend to ship my R1200RETover this time. Or maybe you wish to buy it when I return in July? ... Call me at 570 815 6294 if your seriously going

I did Rob Beach's "Oktoberfest Olio" many years ago... LOVED it! I posted a blog and some pictures at http://www.geocities.ws/rtpaul2000/index-2.html There are some pictures with the text, but most are accessed thru the "Click here" link at the top left of the page. Sorry one page is a duplicate of another, and i wasn't allotted enough space for "all" of them (hundreds!), but the site was free...

Nope, not an organized tour but I have been riding there quite a bit, as in the last 20 years in a row.

If you are looking for a rental, there is Knopf and many others, but a local friend of mine who has come along 4 out of the last 5 years rents from Motorrad Maier in Landshut. The service is excellent.

Munich is a great airport to fly into with plenty of sights (BMW Museum) to see while you recover from jet lag the first couple of days. Then a short train ride to the rental agency where you will be picked up and also where you can store your luggage.

If you go to the Toronto Motorcycle Show, we could meet and I could fill you in on countless details.

BTW Starting in Germany is OK, but best riding is NOT in Germany.

Depends what you are after. Having done the twisties in the Alps as often as I have and many countless times, there are other great rides elsewhere in Europe. Corsica of course, but Germany as well.

I was heading to Lauenforde near Kassel while on my way to Denmark this past summer and stayed at Villa Lowenherz (an excellent motorcycle hotel). Some of the back roads the following morning to Hildesheim to catch the A7 (autobahns are so boring), were incredible. I'll be back both for the hotel and the local roads.

GR, you and I are starting to sound smug, as we are getting bored riding some of the best roads in the world, when many consider a single trip too lofty to even put on their bucket list, and some that have it there will never cross it off. For a first timer, I think you would agree, the prize is the Alps. I am always amazed at the way the roads wind and twist even in the flat lands around Munich, you can even see it from the air, before even landing. The last couple trips, I have really spent a lot of time on very small back roads in the Alps, there are thousands, as you know.

Yes, there are great roads and culture elsewhere in Europe. I had a great time in the Black Forest (Schwarzwald), and Alsace/Vosges, I actually almost got sick of corners in Tuscany and central Italy. Corsica and Sardinia are on my short list, for an upcoming trip. But again,for a first timer, the Alps are still #1, IMHO.

GR, you and I are starting to sound smug, as we are getting bored riding some of the best roads in the world...

Oh, I'm definitely not bored yet, or I would not be heading over for year 21 in a row, but at this point, I'll use a pass road to get to some where I have not been yet and in many cases, its the only way across. At some 250 different passes taken already, I stopped logging them or at least I have not updated my list in a long while.

If someone is going over once or twice, I would definitely ride the Alps and then particular areas of them for the most bang for the buck.

The Black Forest and Alsace are nice and relaxing though and the roads are empty during the week.

You are going to love Corsica. Eight days was not enough. I'm going back.

I lived in Germany for 4 years and now that I am in the states I take Edelweiss Tours about every other year. There are many, many great places to ride in Germany. You just need to know where they are.

My absolute favorite place to ride is Spain and the Pyrenees mountains. The scenery is beautiful. The roads are in great shape. The traffic is very light compared to the Alps.

Southern France is a great place to ride. I especially like to visit the Cathar Castles.

Ireland and Scottland are great places to ride. The roads are not the best but the scenery is beautiful.

Back