• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cooling Fluid Leak in 2014 RT

Someone pointed out what appears to be a cooling fluid leak from a small hole on the left side of my 2014 RT. I hadn't even noticed it. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

2014 09 20_0669.jpg

Saw a similar question somewhere.
Is it a weep hole? Haven't looked at a Wethead closely, where did they put the water pump?

Yes, it is the weep hole for the water pump and they have been known to leak. In 15K on my '13 GSW I've now found small indications of fluid loss twice; the last time was last week. I'll clean it off again. If more indications show up it will be off for repair. A mechanic at a local dealer says it is not common, but not unusual, either. He's changed 3 water pumps.

On my GS both times I found indications of leaking was after a trip that included high ambient temps and sections of slow speed dirt or other technical roads that had the cooling fan on often. Might be coincidence, might not. I have not lost enough coolant from the overflow reservoir to bring the level below the min mark.

Yes, it is the weep hole for the water pump and they have been known to leak. In 15K on my '13 GSW I've now found small indications of fluid loss twice; the last time was last week. I'll clean it off again. If more indications show up it will be off for repair. A mechanic at a local dealer says it is not common, but not unusual, either. He's changed 3 water pumps.

On my GS both times I found indications of leaking was after a trip that included high ambient temps and sections of slow speed dirt or other technical roads that had the cooling fan on often. Might be coincidence, might not. I have not lost enough coolant from the overflow reservoir to bring the level below the min mark.

Good info. I think I'll go by my dealer Tuesday. Even if they say not to worry about it, if anything happens later I'll have a record of having brought it to their attention.

The trip today was cool weather and since I'm on an RT, the fan shouldn't have been on much. I have about 4K on this bike (considering I bought it four days before the "stop ride" last June, and didn't get it fixed until August 28).

I wonder if BMW knows how to make water pumps. The K1600 and now this.

I recall that my 85 K100RT had a water pump a "couple" of years earlier.

So did Chevrolet and Ford. It's just amazing that they would have any trouble with them. A member of my local MOA club said that every K1600 sold in AZ before June of 2012 had at least one water pump failure, some multiple. He's on #4 and carries a spare on trips. Amazing.

I saw a thread on another web site in which some posters have pointed out that some of these water pump seals leaked for a while, and then stopped. If this sounds hard to believe, I had a seal on a rebuilt transmission for my old '86 K75 leak for a week or so and then stop, and never leaked after that.

Thread here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...e-a-hole-in-their-2014-GS-Crankcase-like-this

Harry

Strangely enough, mine has not leaked again since the initial episode, so there's something to that. Even so, my dealer has ordered a seal and a pump. Once they arrive, he's going to take it apart and see what needs replaced.

Back