• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1100 Oilheads, leakers at oil fill cap.

So, how much sand did you have to remove from your casting?

No question, we all played safe. Bit of a challenge because ambient was colder than expected but the Thai Chicken was perfectly fetlled. I think this one is the last for the year and that rather sucks a bit, getting damn cold through the night.

I had the perfect amount of fettle removed as I sat in a lawn chair and opened another little brown soldier and thought about how nice to sit around the fire enjoying everyone's company and didn't think about my little, itsy bitsy leak at all.

My fettle removed last night, the bike will get hers.

So meaning #2 of fettle is "Mental or emotional state; spirits: was in fine fettle" which would lend to your state of mind during and after a barbeque

Let the Entries Begin

There once was a lady named Gretl
Whose metal DY tried to fettle
Tho turned on a lathe
She escaped quite unscathed
and it really tested his mettle.

Alternate lines welcome; grand prize is 15 seconds of fame, second prize is 30 seconds...

There once was a lady named Gretl
Whose metal DY tried to fettle
Tho turned on a lathe
She escaped quite unscathed
and it really tested his mettle.

Alternate lines welcome; grand prize is 15 seconds of fame, second prize is 30 seconds...

How do you know my girlfriend's name?? How did you know I'm using a South Bend 9 to make her a tool for her artwork??

Dude....you that creepy guy that lives behind her and smokes the demon flower on Sunday mornings????

I had a friend named Gretel
Whose gift put her in fine fettle
She was given a purse
From a very nice nurse
Who hanseled it with coin metal.

Hansel - Another Scottish word

So if I get fettled with a single malt lubricant with my girlfriend named Gretel and I fettle my o-ring boss while needing to hansel my metal because it seems silly to fettle and hansel for hours for a teeny, weeny leak that I could use my time better to goose a lady named Gretel or ride fukingruvin with Gretel, will me leak go away?

So if I get fettled with a single malt lubricant with my girlfriend named Gretel and I fettle my o-ring boss while needing to hansel my metal because it seems silly to fettle and hansel for hours for a teeny, weeny leak that I could use my time better to goose a lady named Gretel or ride fukingruvin with Gretel, will me leak go away?

Sorry, no.
You still have to clean the oil off the O-ring and seat, then put it back dry, like I said last week.

it would seem to me that you are not being cautious enough as to how lubricated you are and your lack of concern over "teeny, weeny" leaks. In my experience of the Gretels of this world a single malt will certainly loosen things up but any leakage, however small, can lead to a lifetime of "how did I get into this mess". You will be looking for hansels from any source. Stick to fettling my boy. You will, at the very least, get the result you are aiming for.

Sorry, no.
You still have to clean the oil off the O-ring and seat, then put it back dry, like I said last week.

This was a legit post and I got my answer, they all leak a bit and it it's a pretty poor design. Contrary to my 35+ years of being told and teaching to never use a dry elastomer, I tried dry, still leaks. BFD.

I was pretty pleased to see this get a bit light and funny with some new words thrown in just 'cause.

I'm pretty sure that if I took everything in my life seriously, I might be the guy with a gun on a tower or a mass murderer.

Most of the posts here are taken way to PC and some forget, Beamers be Bikes Made Wierd and it just a hobby. Doesn't make you a better person for owning one, just special because you can put up with the way they are. Special, kinda like the Rain Man.

I had a friend named Gretel
Whose gift put her in fine fettle
She was given a purse
From a very nice nurse
Who hanseled it with coin metal.

Hansel - Another Scottish word

Although made of precious metal, Zettle knew the kettle would never fettle Gretle's nettle.....

Mine is a 2004 R1150RT, so it's not exactly the same, but mine started fizzling oil from the cap at around 35K. Replaced rubber washer. Didn't work. Replaced cap. Didn't work. Replaced bottom part. Didn't work. It's almost quit now, at almost 65K, but it wasn't because of anything I did or replaced. It still fizzles, don't get me wrong, but not like it used to.
This may sound like I am losing my mind, I might be a bit.

My oil filler cap leaks as does those on a few friends' bikes. No big deal??? They are old bikes, replace the o-ring???

The o-ring is not a standard metric or SAE and not a rubber house here can come close. Cool, OE dealer, 7 weeks away, need to buy the bottom o-ring, anchor, filler o-ring but the cap is re-usable. $79.00 CDN to quit losing a drop of oil once a day. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this one (stayed tuned on the not warm and fuzzy about my $140.00 plug wire I ordered in June from the same dealer)

I sometimes think I am smarterer than I really am and thought, wait for it, "farkles, there are tons for this bike!"

I saw some filler caps that were really cute and some that needed keys. Really? You need a key for your oil filler cap? Where do you need to live for that to be a good choice?

Sorry, losing it a bit, just answered my own question. 350 mile north of me, a locking oil filler plug would prevent you from having to buy it back from the local that stole it and wants to sell it back to you for a case of fire water.

Really though, mine, three of my buddies, same/same 1100 engines, all leak a bit. Is there an option out there that doesn't require a ton of coin or carrying a key to add oil?

Mine is a 2004 R1150RT, so it's not exactly the same, but mine started fizzling oil from the cap at around 35K. Replaced rubber washer. Didn't work. Replaced cap. Didn't work. Replaced bottom part. Didn't work. It's almost quit now, at almost 65K, but it wasn't because of anything I did or replaced. It still fizzles, don't get me wrong, but not like it used to.

This is what I have used with no problems since.

https://store.bobsbmw.com/product/leakproof-oil-filler-cap-for-oilheads

Attachments

• oil filler.jpg
    oil filler.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 199
I noticed mine on my 03 1150r seeps or weeps a little and when I ordered cruch washers I got a rubber O ring for the cap with the order. I installed it when I changed the oil and wiped the head off but the oil came back. It's just a film but this tread tells me it can be fixed so I'm on it..some day in the future.
I've been to Scotland did a counter clock wise tour whilst in the USAF and had a blast. Edinburgh,Inverness,Glasgow and then it was off to Ireland. Seemed to me the roads were mostly desolet but knowing this crowd it might be perfect. I know the GS'ers would think so.
I can say at no time did fettleing take place but plenty of pub grub and I will say many a pint was filtered.
I'll choose filtering over fettleing every time.:thumb

Back