• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1100 Oilheads, leakers at oil fill cap.

dieselyoda

This may sound like I am losing my mind, I might be a bit.

My oil filler cap leaks as does those on a few friends' bikes. No big deal??? They are old bikes, replace the o-ring???

The o-ring is not a standard metric or SAE and not a rubber house here can come close. Cool, OE dealer, 7 weeks away, need to buy the bottom o-ring, anchor, filler o-ring but the cap is re-usable. $79.00 CDN to quit losing a drop of oil once a day. Not feeling warm and fuzzy about this one (stayed tuned on the not warm and fuzzy about my $140.00 plug wire I ordered in June from the same dealer)

I sometimes think I am smarterer than I really am and thought, wait for it, "farkles, there are tons for this bike!"

I saw some filler caps that were really cute and some that needed keys. Really? You need a key for your oil filler cap? Where do you need to live for that to be a good choice?

Sorry, losing it a bit, just answered my own question. 350 mile north of me, a locking oil filler plug would prevent you from having to buy it back from the local that stole it and wants to sell it back to you for a case of fire water.

Really though, mine, three of my buddies, same/same 1100 engines, all leak a bit. Is there an option out there that doesn't require a ton of coin or carrying a key to add oil?

I have an 1100RT, and had the same problem as well. I always had oily residue all over the left cylinder head, and it would splatter on the rest of the bike when I rode in the rain. I replaced the whole unit with a new part (cap and adapter), which didn't help much, and I also tried another product as well. The only one which I found to stop the leak completely is the Wunderlich cap. I haven't had a drop of oil seep or leak out ever since.

It's a tad pricey, but it works.

You can find it at: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1100RT/8500064.html

For clarity - there are two O rings. The obvious one is on the cap itself and seals between the cap and the plastic insert surround into which it fits. The second O ring is often invisible, ignored, or unnoticed. It is between the plastic insert and the metal valve cover. Replacing only one almost never solves the problem.

Real OEM shows MSRP for the larger one at just under $2.00 and the smaller one on the cap at $1.32. MSRP is less than $3.50 for both and they usually last two or three years on my R1150 or Voni's R1100. Changing them is less than a 5 minute job.

11141340902 $1.94
11141340901 $1.32

Or, you can of course spend the $89.00 for the Wunderlich part if you wish.

This is actually a fairly common (but usually minor) malady...

The full fix is to also replace AND SEAL the plastic insert.
Go to your friendly local trusted dealer (yeah, we know...) and get a New insert & its O-ring. (Or buy it over the 'net from Max/etc...)
Next time you have the valve cover off, pry out the old insert, and chemically clean the groove that it fits into and the surrounding area. Use gas followed by alcohol, then thoroughly dry it.
View how the new insert and its O-ring will fit, but BEFORE you push them in:
Lightly coat the O-ring, its groove, and the mating surface of the insert with High temperature silicone sealant (RTV/etc.). Use the high-temp version not just for the heat, but because it also bonds better and withstands oil better.
Install the pieces into place quickly and firmly. A bunch of the sealant should squeeze out of the pieces. Wipe off "most" of it... but leave a little margin, pushing a little back into the plastic-to-metal gaps also. Wipe it again, lightly, when you are satisfied that you have full coverage but no excess to come off later.
Let it dry at least overnight, and that "should" fix it forever.

And as long as the cover is off, look at the boss where the filler cap meets the big screw that holds down the valve cover. If there are any sharp edges right there, they will shorten the life of the cone-shaped rubber grommet that seals that screw, so lightly sand or file the edges smooth.

re cap theft - any city that has low-lifes... they even got snatched from the showroom...:mad

Last edited:
I have an 1100RT, and had the same problem as well. I always had oily residue all over the left cylinder head, and it would splatter on the rest of the bike when I rode in the rain. I replaced the whole unit with a new part (cap and adapter), which didn't help much, and I also tried another product as well. The only one which I found to stop the leak completely is the Wunderlich cap. I haven't had a drop of oil seep or leak out ever since.

It's a tad pricey, but it works.

You can find it at: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1100RT/8500064.html

Touratech has a lower priced version

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/238/PN-040-0282/Hex-Oil-Plug-R1100GS-R1150GS-and-RT

next time you have the entire plastic unit out carefully examine the "o" ring groove. There may be a raised part where the mold joint was not fettled properly preventing the "o" ring from completely sealing. If you see this light sanding with fine emery should take care if it.

... carefully examine the "o" ring groove. There may be a raised part where the mold joint was not fettled properly preventing the "o" ring from completely sealing....

To fettle: trim or clean the rough edges of (a metal casting or a piece of pottery) before firing.
(particularly trimming the seam at a mold line)

Dictionaries note it is used mostly in northern UK dialects....

I learn something new every day here, thanks.

Last edited:
Mine seeps slowly, not enough to bother me. Originally, it did more than seep. All I have done to minimize the leak is remove and clean the o-ring well, then re-install it upside down each time I add or change oil. It tends to deform and take a set. Flipping it forces it to compress and deform all over again. It isn't perfect, but it may be good enough to get you by while you wait on parts. If the bulk of your leak is coming from the lower o-ring, this idea may be of no use.

I've always thought Scotland might be a good place to ride a motorcycle. And I like Scotch (the liquor, not the tape) but don't ride my motorcycle after drinking scotch. That is my take on UK geopolitical stability or instability as the case might have been.

I've always thought Scotland might be a good place to ride a motorcycle. And I like Scotch (the liquor, not the tape) but don't ride my motorcycle after drinking scotch. That is my take on UK geopolitical stability or instability as the case might have been.

I was asked a couple of years ago to organise a motorcycle trip to Scotland for some friends. I got as far as planning out a route and strangely it seemed to go from distillery to distillery. Of course each distillery would be at the end of the day. I plan on retiring in 3 years so maybe will get the time to bring this trip to fruition.

Looks like the answer to my question was to drink scotch and the leak will go away? Or at least I won't care that it's leaking?

I guess I will start fixing my problem as soon as it gets cold enough for a fire. What kind of single malt o-ring lubricant is the best?

Actually, I checked all the aftermarket stuff that was posted here and I will go with the OE replacement and pay close attention to the fettlement and try to find a metric fettling tool because all my other fettle tools are STD.

Great word. I am going to get fettled at my BBQ Saturday night.

Red Rubber Grease is my new friend. I put that stuff on every rubber seal I come across now. It is not a petroleum grease and is actually made from vegetables. So like rubber, it is a natural product. The stuff keeps rubber seals pliable much longer and has a lot of uses. While not intended for use with gasoline or petroleum oils I would use it on the filler cap O Rings anyway. http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

I spray mine with Pam cooking spray

I had always thought there was a forward and backward orientation to the oil filler cap and if it was put on backward it could and would leak. Any truth to my belief? I have never replaced the filler cap O-rings on my '04 GSA and it doesn't leak, seep or get dirty. Maybe before the Florida Ridding season gets into full swing I will do that just to keep things clean and tight.

The cap itself is bi-directional, but the top "handle" is slightly sloped; aesthetically, most people install it with the "low" side "forward".
The valve cover insert, though, only fits properly one way.

If it doesn't leak, don't mess with it.

Back