Thread: Chain problems-2014 F800 GSA

Chain problems-2014 F800 GSA

Anyone having chain problems on their GSA? My chain sagged about 5 inches, causing bike not to engage. Lubed chain about every 500 miles. Only lasted 16,000 miles. Thanks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LPD434 View Post
    Anyone having chain problems on their GSA? My chain sagged about 5 inches, causing bike not to engage. Lubed chain about every 500 miles. Only lasted 16,000 miles. Thanks
    Welcome to the forum!
    From what I hear, chain life is a 20,000 mile average- you are not too far off. I also hear that it depends on the type of travel- street or dirt and the basic elements it's ridden in such as extreme heat or consistent wet.
    I don't think you are far off optimum chain life mileage, get a good quality o-ring replacement and probably the sprockets and you will be good to go.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by LPD434 View Post
    Are you saying you were riding with 5 inches of sag in a chain?

Never do that, learn to adjust it or have it done. That much slack can cause a crash, or come off, break the engine case etc.

Rod

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    16K not bad, and as said, if you ran it that loose, you better learn some basic maintenance.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Too tight or too loose will accelerate the wear of a chain. Regular attention to cleaning, lubing and adjusting are part of chain maintenance routines. The F800GS does require a bit more slack than some bikes due to the long suspension travel, look in your owners manual for the correct adjustment and measuring procedure.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA