• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 surging

laitken 1 try to do whats known as TPS sync.The throttle position sensor my need to be balanced again.This was done with LT'S, Although may apply to throttle by wire.
Turn key on let bike go through self test,next rotate throttle to stop and release 2 times then start bike. See what happens, it may not cure the problem but the TPS reset seemed to have made my RTW a bit better.

Peter,

What do you mean by "rotate throttle to stop"? You mean to full open?

I have been following that thread with interest. While the AF-XIED seems popular with the GS crowd, I haven't seen many comments from the RT crowd. Have you been getting any feedback with effectiveness on the 14/15 R1200RT? I did install the AF-XIED primarily because I was hearing a light ping at low speed with somewhat heavy throttle. I am not sure what that noise is but suspect it isn't engine knocking. The ping I am hearing is reduced but not gone. There are other threads on this sound.... I am no expert, but I seem to be experiencing similar results as to what the brochure says such as better throttle control at low speed, smoother acceleration from low speed and rides better in a higher gear. I am still adjusting from coming from a low RPM H-D but before traveling on a 30mph road to my home I had to stay in second where as now I can ride in third and cruise along. This is a road I don't want to speed on given the number of patrol cars I have seen on it! I am on my fourth tank of gas since the install and running on setting #7. This bike doesn't need much high RPM support but I do believe these bikes run lean due to EPA standards and if BMW had it's druthers would ship them with a different map if they could. I believe the AF-XIED helps with that. Any comments on all of that are welcome!

Although I haven't seen that many Wethead comments that are RTs, the BMSK works the same for all R1200 LCs. The recent data from George on ADVrider shows that the XIED integrates well.

Your experience riding a higher gear with the XIED installed is pretty common. On my R1150 I boosted the fueling by 12% as a "let's see what happens". The bike was able to idle up a shallow incline in 6th gear. Practically speaking you could accelerate in any gear from 2500 rpm nicely. Even at 6% added fuel my 1150 is happy being shifted into 5th at 40/45 and 6th by 55 mph.

ANY FI bike will surge if it is in a cruising, zero load with a very light throttle condition. My fix, shift down a gear, no more surging.

Jim :brow

ANY FI bike will surge if it is in a cruising, zero load with a very light throttle condition. My fix, shift down a gear, no more surging.

Jim :brow
I'd have to some thinking about that- I haven't seen the problem with fuel injection. I am familiar with the problem on a bike (nowadays any gasoline engine) with what is referred to as a carburetor. I mention "referred to" as they don't work like the carbs of old with a slide and butterfly choke. The throttle is more of a "port" opener and the choke is an "enricher" for the start circuit.
EPA emissions guidelines have all the engines running real lean with no room for the extra gas that would smooth out an engine in the past. Compensation for the lean conditions can be achieved with "shims" under the main jet needle but it is trial and error to get it to run perfect.
I long for the days of adjustment screws :gerg
OM

If you lambda-shift with an LC-2 you can add or remove fuel in 1% increments. With AF-XIEDs you can add fuel in about 2% increments. Lambda-shifting gets you as close to that "adjustment screw" as you can get.

Back