• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

US 212 in South Dakota and Montana

217don

Anyone ridden US 212 from Spearfish, SD to Crow Agency in Montana recently? Interested in traffic especially of there is fracking truck traffic in the area. Thanks.

Jim

I have done that route twice, first time in 2004(BMW Nat. Spokane) and 2010(Redmond). In 2010 stop at Little Bighorn Battlefield Nat Mon. worth a stop. You can get gas in Ashland and Lame Deer. I like this way instead of I-90.

You might encounter a stray truck somewhere but that route is south of the Baaken shale formation where all the fracking and oilfield activity is taking place.

Attachments

• bakken-formation-map-lg.jpg
    bakken-formation-map-lg.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 127
I rode Hwy 212 with Annie on Thursday, Sept 4th. Probably the 4th time I've ridden it in the past year. Not much traffic between Crow Agency and Broadus. The truck traffic seemed to pick-up between Broadus and Belle Fourche, but still was not an issue. Did see some belly dumper trucks go by that were labled "Frac Sand Only".

I had some time to oberve as I repaired this in Broadus.

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 124
Us 212

So we traveled from Crow Agency to Alzada on US 212. No fracking traffic to speak of but a lot of semis - don't know if they were dodging scales or what because there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. A number of wide loads, too. Fairly easy to pass except when there were 4 or 5 rigs bunched up. It may be a marginally shorter route to Billings from the east. Gas and a small cafe at Alzada; very friendly proprietress who was also the cook. Turned off on 112 to drop down to Devil's Tower. 112 is under construction. There's a 6 mile stretch or so of dirt and gravel. Not bad when dry but we could see big ruts and my guess is it would be very slippery and muddy in the wet. I mention this because the sign said construction was not scheduled to be over until October 2015. I'd inquire locally as they say if I wanted to visit the Devil's Tower from the north on the way to or from the national next summer. My third trip to "the place where bears live", one of the Native American names for the tower. A haunting site, sacred to Native Americans. I would think before visiting in June, particularly around the solstice as that is when the site (I am told) is used for religious purposes. Rather than return to 212 we continued south from Devil's Tower to Sundance - no construction on that end. US 212 from Crow Agency to Alzada was pleasant enough (except for the trucks); abundant antelope and a fair amount of road kill debris.

It is a great area to ride in the WY, SD and MT corner.

Hwy 212 does save about 50 miles over using I90 between Crow Agency and the Rapid City area. I wish they would limit the truck traffic somehow. It's a mild pain now but it is only going to get worse. I've talked to some friends that live down that way and they think the frac sand trucks are heading to that area empty and then heading back to the Williston, ND area with the sand. There is a huge amount of money to be made. I hope MT starts paying an annual dividend like we had in AK.

Nice ride no concerns

Just finished driving this route solo in late July. It was a nice ride. Talked to some locals who said avoid Crow Agency/Lame Deer. As a result I just drove through. I started on the west side and rode to Belle Forche. I stopped in Broadus to rest at a corner gas station/store. There was some sort of mine or facility in the short Wyoming section but nothing to give me concern. Of course there were some trucks on the road but I didn't think it anything excessive or dangerous - not more than other roads. The trucks were mostly side boy dirt/gravel haulers. Many were traveling fast at just above the speed limit. When I passed them, or when I was passed because of strong side-cross winds just near Alzada, it was always safely. I'd ride iUS 212 again in a heartbeat.

Back