Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "But I did not cause it"

"But I did not cause it"

Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Wow.

Using her car to "Slow that young man down".
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

That is truly almost unbelievable. What sane person pulls in the way of any other vehicle, especially a !motorcycle, to slow them down?

The rider lost part of his leg. I hope she is found guilty.

Of the higher charge of attempted vehicular homicide.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Watched that brief video twice. Have to say that motorcyclist seemed to be moving pretty fast for the road and did not exhibit any "situational awareness." He paid a high price. Not sure if the woman in the car should.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Very unfortunate situation for both parties. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, I have very strong, mixed emotions about the incident as Im sure many of you do. I do not see her point that she was jsutified in "slowing him down" under this circumstance. I've been on the Baltimore beltway 4 trafic lanes wide and had a motorcycle gang line up in front of each lane effectively blocking traffic while their buddies were out in front of the barricade doing wheelies, stoppies and all forms of stunts. Hundreds of vehicals slowed to a crawl, there could have been EMS vehicles, police and such behind us trying to respond to an emergency, would any of us been justified in running those people down? I dont believe so, I was so mad that I saw red, absolutely the most childish incident I had witnessed and as a motorcycist I was even more horrified as I saw it as a personal reflection on me. So to see a situation like this on a back country road is confounding to say the least. I hope the fellow heals well and is able to ride again.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Left Coast Rider
    But for her specific and considered actions, the accident would not have occurred. In this country, that's guilty.

I fail to understand someone(other than the "expert/aka a paid liar" for the $$$) saying it was his fault when she says she "did it to slow him down"? Isn't that admitting fault for the accident, even in a somewhat roundabout way? She wouldn't want me on the jury. I see it as a she caused it but meant him no ill harm (in her simple minded way of thinking?) & now wants to avoid paying the $$$ to make him "sort of whole again". Is she on the road now? No doubt she is...
    I get it that she wanted a solution to the guy speeding in that location-her choice of methods is beyond logic.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    Watched that brief video twice. Have to say that motorcyclist seemed to be moving pretty fast for the road and did not exhibit any "situational awareness." He paid a high price. Not sure if the woman in the car should.
    I do not know what liability looks like in Canada, but if I were on a criminal or civil jury I would vote guilty. You just don't get to take the law into your own hands and then expect to say he should have been going slower.

My dad used to say that the only accident I could be in that I couldn't prevent was something falling on me. In this case, either individual could have easily prevented the accident with just reasonable vigilance. As a MC rider, I feel I have more to lose than someone in a car (in a collision between the two). In my opinion, the responsibility for my safety and well being stands with me. Again, in my opinion, the car driver is clearly guilty of contributory negligence in this accident. That is not going to get the biker his leg back.

To me, it looks like the driver "caused" the accident.
    Also looks like the rider chose not to avoid it.

Both lose.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    I do not know what liability looks like in Canada, but if I were on a criminal or civil jury I would vote guilty. You just don't get to take the law into your own hands and then expect to say he should have been going slower.
    She's innocent in Canada. He hit her from behind. He would be charged with at the least, Imprudent Driving or Dangerous Driving, a Criminal Code Offense.

She has the right to do whatever speed she wants unless otherwise posted and she could argue, successfully, that she was doing what she did to protect herself.

No liability on her part, him, hooped.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Having had people try to deliberately run me off the road when I was making a safe pass, I hope they throw her butt in Jail, and looses her license for 5 years, minimum, and the story goes nationwide. Sorry but her narcissistic and sociopath behavior has NO place on a public highway.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

It wasn't an accident, it was vehicular assault. Throw the book at her, put her in jail, and get the best personal injury lawyer to sue her for more than she is worth.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    It wasn't an accident, it was vehicular assault. Throw the book at her, put her in jail, and get the best personal injury lawyer to sue her for more than she is worth.

Harry

Two words in the province I live in, "No Fault".

If you could prove, with your own money that she was the cause of the accident, our public insurance would pay a per Diem based on his expected ability to earn an income, healthy. Then deduct the costs of his long term care and provide a subsistence income.

No lawyer will touch on contingency, there isn't any money in it. It won't ever see a judge, end of story there, so all a lawyer can do is fight through the red tape to get to a public(government) appointed arbitrator. Our insurance company is a Crown Corporation, aka, the government owns it.

Even if there were charges, a conviction many years later, she is entirely covered by two words, "No Fault".

Still remains, he hit her from behind, his fault because he didn't take action to avoid it.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)