• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

In your collective opinion

What is the most "neutral" riding position BMW made ? Current & past.

I have a R1150R that I have tried to fit too me in every way possible...seat,pegs,bars....and it still just kills my back/hips.
I also have a K1200LT...and it is not much better....currently it is however all stock.

In an attempt to find relief, and keep riding...I bought a Victory Crossroad....it is more comfortable, by quite a bit...but I guess I'm just a BMW guy...and would rather be on one ! :german

Riding Comfort

The only time I don't have back or leg discomfort is when I am riding my 2000 KLT. Cars and house furniture really get to me.

Bob Schrader

This should be as much fun as an oil thread. I like my K75S with barbacks and a Corbin. Friend of my swears by his LT, I just find the thing too damn big.

Maybe move to the Oilhead forum???

This should be as much fun as an oil thread. I like my K75S with barbacks and a Corbin. Friend of my swears by his LT, I just find the thing too damn big.

I love my K75S but the damn hands love it way less. Not thrilled at all with my K1100RS. It's the damn Corbin on it, kinda hard on the boys after a couple hours if you know what I mean. Little quirky too when two up and it's the bike to let someone experience what counter-steer really means. My R1100RT equipped with Shark Skins for my hands is pretty good. The aftermarket heated seat has some pretty good benefits.

I took a Wethead with all the bells and whistles out a few months ago. I hated it.

I miss my R80RT. That was almost perfect in every sense. Comfortable, lots of giddyup en go, good one up or two up loaded, a masterpiece.

I wear cycling shorts under riding pants. Shorts have a built in bum pad. They're tight, look like long speedo. Have always rode with a lean into wind, S type of lean. Ear plugs, wind on the helmet/chest, always with the curved backbone. Always thought the Germans knew something about ergonomics and riding position before Americans came along with pulled back bars and sit up on your coccyx. Butt gets sore? Slide around on saddle. Alternate with passenger footpegs, knees out, knees in, etc. And then it's always time for gas, restroom and a snack. Have never bounced down the road with straight spine compressing vertebrae. Two cents.

I find my R90S, with it's shorter bars, to be the most comfortable stock BMW I've owned. It puts my body into a sort of question mark shape, centered over my feet on the pegs. The forward lean is not radical and I can just about sit bolt upright if I like, for a change. I don't find straight up or feet forward positions comfortable for more than a few minutes. I know I must be in the minority with this.

:whistle didn't mean to start an 'oil-type' thread...it really is a serious question. I used to agree with the [slightly forward lean] idea , as i have owned "S" 's and such. But that position now kills my hips...the "cruiser" position is better , but goes to my low back. So I'm thinking "most neutral" ...might work :dunno. Well I picked up this LT for a decent price, as such I can afford to adjust & play a-bit. I'll do the few small repairs it needs , & give it a second try , perhaps with some tweaking ? it might do the trick.......any tips & suggestions from the experienced LT crowd appreciated .

Frankly the best approach is to see a physical therapist. Follow advice and strengthen what needs strengthening.

Joke: Pants don't fit.

Woman: I've got to lose weight.

Man: Something's wrong with these pants.

Before rushing to change your bike--yes I know it's fun--consider where the problem really lies.

adjust K1200LT to fit

Good Morning: If you go to the site cycle-ergo.com they have that bike listed. You can enter your height and inseam sizes and it will tell you the angles of your forward lean, hip and knee.
It will show the changes to the angles as you change rise, pull back bars, peg positions. It's an interesting site.
hth Frank

Frankly the best approach is to see a physical therapist. Follow advice and strengthen what needs strengthening.

Joke: Pants don't fit.

Woman: I've got to lose weight.

Man: Something's wrong with these pants.

Before rushing to change your bike--yes I know it's fun--consider where the problem really lies.

Been there done that doing that !

What is the most "neutral" riding position BMW made ? Current & past.

A neutral riding position for one person may mean a "too relaxed" riding position for someone else. I don't believe there is a right answer to your question.

PS I use synthetic oil. :D

A neutral riding position for one person may mean a "too relaxed" riding position for someone else. I don't believe there is a right answer to your question.

PS I use synthetic oil. :D

you're likely exactly right...I just thought maybe others may have experienced similar , and might an idea that works for me as well. I look at it as....doesn't hurt to ask...and never too old to learn....:dance

Been riding since age 16, but pain takes the pleasure out of many things , and riding is one of them. Just can't like I used to. I'm sorta stubborn...so I'll keep trying.....:p

It's an interesting question. As someone else said, I think it depends on the person and the riding conditions. For all-around conditions, I've always liked the posture of a dirt bike/dual sport. Having recently switched from an RS to a GS, I like the GS better so far, but have yet to test it on a long trip. I like the GS's straight-up posture with feet at a natural position and legs not cramped/bent too much. Plus it is easy to stand up while riding to give the seat, hips, and knees a break--I could not do that very well with the RS.

The R1150R had a really tight leg position. I clearly remember it because I had a K1100LT at the time and was given the R as a loaner from Santa Cruz BMW. It really cramped my legs. I find my current R1200RT very neutral, and comfortable.

I've tried a multitude of bikes recently, and I find that the 96-04 RT's are the most nuetral/comfortable of the lot. I am 6'2'' with 34 inch inseam and weigh 230#. The seat is in the second position with seat beads. No bar risers, but foam overgrips.This places my thighs at just a slight downward angle and my feet are in line vertically with my hip joint. Makes for good comfort. Also have a ThrottleMeister which greatly reduces hand and wrist fatigue. I use it ALOT. My back is never sore, the wrists are always ok. The bottom of my bum gets a little sore at the 250 mile mark, but Im sure a Russell seat will fix that.

'95 R1100RS
stock seat in middle hight
bars mid - forward in their adjustment range
5'10", 225lbs (slowly working back toward 175)

Riding straight roads gets painful after an hour or so for me. The first area of pain is between my shoulder blades - base of my neck. The knees and hips follow suit and my lower back is then stiff when I get off the bike. If I'm riding in a sporting manner on twisty roads, I can ride all day without much pain. That means putting most of my weight through my feet instead of my butt and moving on the bike constantly. I take this as my bike and body telling me I have to ride fun roads. I'm ok with that and plan routes accordingly.

With my modest inseam, my R1200CLC had the most comfortable riding position on interstates and straight roads. However, when it came to riding twisties, my K bikes and Airheads were far better. I had it 7 years and since most of my riding is on steep mountain roads, I sent it to a better place in SC. The new owner was replacing an identical bike he had sold earlier due to circumstances.

My R100RS is the most comfortable motorcycle that I've ever ridden. Stock bars, stock seat and pegs, it fits me perfectly.

I've got a left knee that's pretty much permanently messed up, so I need a little more leg room than other folks may need. The airhead RS works great.

Now, the 1100RS is a little tighter in the knee department, even with the seat at its highest adjustment. But it still works pretty well for me.

The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc.

"The thing is, people's physical shapes and overall condition varies so much that there's no correct answer to the question. What works for one will not work for another, etc."

That is undoubtedly true, and it should be a clear signal to manufacturers that they need to design in adjustability into the controls and seating. Yet, few seem to give this critical aspect of the motorcycle much attention.
Another gripe I have: Research suggests that there may be a relationship between poorly designed saddles and prostate cancer. Bicyclists have saddles with a channel down the center to provide room for some anatomical features :whistle. I wonder why motorcycle seats do not have this feature.

Okay, now lets get on to the subject of vanishing center stands, or is that a rant for another thread?

Back