Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Mobile Anonymous Book App

  1. #1
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,273

    Mobile Anonymous Book App

    Its ALIVE!!!!!!

    Just tried it on my BlackBerry 10 and it works just fine. Thanks to all those who worked on this valuable tool. I'm sure there were tears and heartache - but it was all worth it!

    Thanks again.

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,641
    Yes, it's been up since Tuesday. If anyone has any issues while accessing it, be sure and post their comments in the forum area for this:

    http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdispl...ok-and-Support

    You will see there are already some comments from various members.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    124
    What is the title? I can't find it in iOS. I can access it on my computer, but I cannot find an app in the app store on my iphone.

  4. #4
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    What is the title? I can't find it in iOS. I can access it on my computer, but I cannot find an app in the app store on my iphone.
    There isn't a app you download for this. It is accessed through the forum, as part of securing the information. You have to be an MOA member logged into the forum. On your phone, navigate to this thread and click on the link:

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....Mobile-Edition

    If you have any issues or feedback for the Anonymous Book in this form, visit some of the other threads in this forum and let us know what you found:

    http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdispl...ok-and-Support
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  5. #5
    MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    696

    Thumbs up Mobile App

    Wow!!!! Looks & works great!!!!
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Inga" '04RT, "Fronk" '78 SR500
    Pensacola, Floriduh

  6. #6
    Registered User Moto316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    There isn't a app you download for this. It is accessed through the forum, as part of securing the information. You have to be an MOA member logged into the forum. On your phone, navigate to this thread and click on the link:

    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....Mobile-Edition

    If you have any issues or feedback for the Anonymous Book in this form, visit some of the other threads in this forum and let us know what you found:

    http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdispl...ok-and-Support
    OK, thanks.

    Someone should change the title of this original post. An App and the World Wide Web (www) are two completely different ways to access the internet. I would like to see the MOA develop an App, they are much easier to use on your phone than going through the www and it's another way to bring the next generation of members to the club. The younger crowd is going away from the www and using mostly apps.

  7. #7
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    Someone should change the title of this original post. An App and the World Wide Web (www) are two completely different ways to access the internet. I would like to see the MOA develop an App, they are much easier to use on your phone than going through the www and it's another way to bring the next generation of members to the club. The younger crowd is going away from the www and using mostly apps.
    Thanks for the suggestion...I think others have said something similar to that. But I'm sure you've read the reasons this has been developed as an access through the forum. I'm not aware of all the possible future plans, so time will tell.

    Sure, having an app might be a "one click" to get to the Anonymous book. But what about "two clicks"? That's nearly the same thing. Go to this URL on the MOA home page:

    http://bmwmoa.org/TheClub/TheAnonymousBook.aspx

    and go down near the bottom in the section titled "Bookmarking the URL on Your Mobile Device". It looks like if you follow these directions, you can put a book mark on your phone that simply takes you directly to the Anonymous Book thread and then you would click on the active Anonymous Book link in that thread...two clicks. That would save a lot of steps.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  8. #8
    Registered User arthurdent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Central Nebraska
    Posts
    417
    How up to date is the Anonymous listing db? I notice because I wasn't included in the print 2014 book due to a setting in my profile which speaks since boon corrected. Still not finding myself in this version.

    Course, not finding myself could be considered a personal problem...

  9. #9
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,641
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    How up to date is the Anonymous listing db?
    Ted said in his opening statement about this version is that it is pulled from data on-hand as of November 2013. Updates will be coming as time goes by. I'm sure eventually, they'll build in a way for someone to make quick changes, either on-line or most likely by calling the office and having it done "why you wait". I don't really know about that for sure, but as we get through this version, plans for the next version will be released.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    OK, thanks.

    Someone should change the title of this original post. An App and the World Wide Web (www) are two completely different ways to access the internet. I would like to see the MOA develop an App, they are much easier to use on your phone than going through the www and it's another way to bring the next generation of members to the club. The younger crowd is going away from the www and using mostly apps.
    Pros and cons of web apps vs. native apps.

    http://mobiledevices.about.com/od/ad...e-Web-Apps.htm

  11. #11
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,659
    Great link and information Visian. This is remenicient of the Beta vs VHS situation. Customers / Users do not always pick the most technically effective or cheapest solution. Specific features are widely being 'Applified' world wide due in large part to the prevalence of Devices other than Computers being carried everywhere people go. For myself, I would rather have an App for when Internet is available and will always carry my trusty hard copy book for when it isn't.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)


    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

  12. #12
    Registered User jad01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX or Portland, OR
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Sure, having an app might be a "one click" to get to the Anonymous book. But what about "two clicks"? That's nearly the same thing.
    Well, to be precise, two clicks is twice as many as one click (representing an increased effort of 100%!). Sorry- couldn't resist.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

  13. #13
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto316 View Post
    Someone should change the title of this original post. An App and the World Wide Web (www) are two completely different ways to access the internet....The younger crowd is going away from the www and using mostly apps.
    Has the "younger crowd" also forgotten how to problem solve and think for themselves?

    Applications are typically OS-centric. Many members use various devices which means the club would have to develop multiple applications to match different platforms or risk having some members not being able access to the on-line Anonymous Book. I believe the club has chosen the right course of action.

  14. #14
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Has the "younger crowd" also forgotten how to problem solve and think for themselves?

    Applications are typically OS-centric. Many members use various devices which means the club would have to develop multiple applications to match different platforms or risk having some members not being able access to the on-line Anonymous Book. I believe the club has chosen the right course of action.
    My last ten years of work involved building supporting web and native Apps for many different things. Customers voted by their usage to the point that less than 5% used web Apps over native Apps given an opportunity to select the option. It is not that customers are not smart enough to navigate and find web Apps, it is just the web delivery method is becoming outdated. Yes, it will be harder (for the MOA) to build and support native Apps for say, Blackberry, Android and iOS but as a Customer of the solution I would much rather have a Native App. However this web App is a great start and well on the way to augmenting the hard copy book; I for one would like to at least see a cost estimate to build and maintain native Apps as a next step.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)


    Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

  15. #15
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Has the "younger crowd" also forgotten how to problem solve and think for themselves?

    Applications are typically OS-centric. Many members use various devices which means the club would have to develop multiple applications to match different platforms or risk having some members not being able access to the on-line Anonymous Book. I believe the club has chosen the right course of action.
    I don't. Trying to read a web page sucks on my phone. Reading an application made for the phone will make the data much more readable and FWIW, there are two major platforms, iOS and Android. The data could be persistent on the phone app and updatable when there is an internet connection, but available offline.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •