• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200RT shocks delivery schedule

I do not believe for a minute that bikes will be repaired in order. Meaning that repairs on bike #2 cannot begin until until bike #1is fixed. I do beleive tbat BMW has assigned sbocks to specific bikes and when the first batch of shocks arrives it will be allocated to the dealers on the same day and dealers will be fixing bikes as quickly as possible. Bike #20 might be rideable before #2. The "in order of sales date" would apply to dealer who sold more bikes than he gets shocks for. If a dealer sold 12 bikes and only gets 5 shocks in the first wave of parts deliveries then you would expect him to fix the first 5 bikes he sold. I would not expect him to be waiting for a phone call telling him when to start working on any particular bike. I'm waiting until the 2015's arrive in October and will most likely upgrade from my 2011. My wife (in 2 more weeks) has a GSW and I am hooked on the engine.

And Another Twist

Does anyone want to speculate on the repair time of the units that have already been produced and are stuck at the distribution center in New Jersey? My dealer doesn't know if those units will be shipped on to the dealer for shock replacement or if they will be replaced in NJ, then shipped. The recall hotline has no idea.

I do not believe for a minute that bikes will be repaired in order. Meaning that repairs on bike #2 cannot begin until until bike #1is fixed. I do beleive tbat BMW has assigned sbocks to specific bikes and when the first batch of shocks arrives it will be allocated to the dealers on the same day and dealers will be fixing bikes as quickly as possible. Bike #20 might be rideable before #2. The "in order of sales date" would apply to dealer who sold more bikes than he gets shocks for. If a dealer sold 12 bikes and only gets 5 shocks in the first wave of parts deliveries then you would expect him to fix the first 5 bikes he sold. I would not expect him to be waiting for a phone call telling him when to start working on any particular bike. I'm waiting until the 2015's arrive in October and will most likely upgrade from my 2011. My wife (in 2 more weeks) has a GSW and I am hooked on the engine.

Who knows how it will work in real life but the shocks are sent out VIN specific. I guess to keep a track on each bike and how the units hold up? In my case as soon as the shock shows up work begins. If possible the old unit will be removed and waiting on the new one. I think my dealer has eight to do out of ten and then he has a couiple of unsold ones to deal with afterwards. He will fix whatever bikes are available. If for some reason the owner can't make a bike available then the next one will get its shock installed.

shock repair

Originally Posted by KarlG
Buck,
It would be appreciated if you could post or PM a list with the numbers on it.
Thanks.
does anyone have the list yet, I would like to know where I fall on it.
Thanks

+1.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-Advisory-Stop-Riding-Your-2014-R1200RT/page2

I remember seeing a list of VIN numbers when this all started. Its on page 2 about half way down. Remember there are people that turned in there bikes and those that took loaners. That could have a lot of effect.

Al

That PDF is the order of VIN numbers, NOT the order sold in the US (or production date, either), if the shocks are getting fixed in the order of sell date in the US. FYI.

That list has the build date and vin of my bike. I don't know how many bikes are on that list or where they all went too, nor the date each was sold and where it was sold. It was just information on effected bikes. Somebody asked about vin #. Obviously it the vin'# of effected bikes. I just hope they fix all the Quartz blue bikes first!!:thumb LOL

Al

That list has the build date and vin of my bike. I don't know how many bikes are on that list or where they all went too, nor the date each was sold and where it was sold. It was just information on effected bikes. Somebody asked about vin #. Obviously it the vin'# of effected bikes. I just hope they fix all the Quartz blue bikes first!!:thumb LOL

Al

I get you on that... I was just responding because of previous posts stating that the order of which bike gets fixed is supposedly based on the date of purchase. Mine was Feb 22. Jeff Dean said he was number 5 in the US sold, so there is another list somewhere that shows the VIN sequence by date of bike's delivery to the customer (according to Jeff). That is what a lot of people would like to see.

Al

That list has 1119 bikes listed. Since there wasn't a lot of RTs sitting around I'd suspect the build date is going to be pretty close to the order with holes for the take back and loaner bikes. Best guess, looking at the polls on two forums , it's around 62% taking option 1. 697 bikes in option 1 if the polls are to be believed and the numbers are correct.

Mine was built on 4/14, purchased on 5/23 and is 1012 out of the 1119 bike listed. I took the PDF and imported it into Excel then sorted by date then VIN.

Last edited:
I get you on that... I was just responding because of previous posts stating that the order of which bike gets fixed is supposedly based on the date of purchase. Mine was Feb 22. Jeff Dean said he was number 5 in the US sold, so there is another list somewhere that shows the VIN sequence by date of bike's delivery to the customer (according to Jeff). That is what a lot of people would like to see.

My dealer told me it was the 5th sold in the U.S.

The list of sale dates is not available to you and me, only to dealers, who can access emails for dealers from BMW NA. My dealer told me about my bike.

Here I am, on Feb. 6, of this year, taking delivery of my new 2014 RT:

rt-and-tres-hombres.jpg

However, I could not part with my blue 2007 RT. I don't know that I ever will.

blue-rt.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased mine on January 31st while the bikes were in New Jersey and think it was the first day that dealers could grab bikes. I'm told I'm #2.

If you're wondering why I purchased before I could see the bike, I drove to the DC Motorcycle show and after sitting on one I was sold.

I was able to pick it up on February 6th.

I just got an email from my dealer giving no time frame just saying, "you're pretty far down the line." So I guess I'm going to call BMW and give them two options: either give me a time frame or switch me from the repair to the buy back option.
Good luck with that!

This

Just

Keeps

Getting

Better!

Just got off the phone with my dealer. They have "The list" of the 500+ bikes affected (option 1). The email came out this morning and notes there are quite a few more, in addition to, the 30 or so shocks that were mentioned above.

BUT I am not on the list ANYWHERE.

Wonderful...

Back