• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Learn Garmin BaseCamp Tutorial Videos

Here is a good one.

I generated a route (call it A to B) and then another (B to A). The routes are identical other than one being in reverse.

Yet when you look at each, they are both routing in the same direction (A to B)...so you look at route B to A and invert it so that it matches what I want to do and then route A to B is backwards and showing the B to A routing.

Go figure!

Try this: In BaseCamp, created a short route from point A to B.
With that route highlighted (left click) then right click to duplicate
Now right click...Invert route.
Both should be named and displayed in your LIST under a Folder .... Both will have proper arrows.

Hope this helps!

Alan, this is an example...

I generated a route starting in Calio, going through Alsen and Loma and ending in Milton, but as I clicked on Loma, I got side tracked by doing something and it closed the route as can be seen in the bottom left window.

I then tried to continue from Loma to Milton, but it generated another 2nd route which can be seen in the bottom left window as well.

What I wanted to do is simply continue and add to the Calio - Loma route.

Attachments

• BaseCamp.jpg
    BaseCamp.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,936
Both should be named and displayed in your LIST under a Folder .... Both will have proper arrows.

Hope this helps!

Both routes have the arrows pointing the same way. If I invert one route to change the arrows, it does the same thing to the other route.

Another update to BaseCamp needed. I'll let Garmin know.

Ed, I don't see the Trip in your upper left window.

If you follow these screenshots below, you'll see that in BaseCamp under "Trip Planner" I created a one-way trip from Calio to Milton (I used to spend my summers on my grandfather's farm in Milton PEI).

Calio-Milton-01.jpg

When I click on the "Exit" icon on the lower right of the left pane above, it takes me to the screen below.

Calio-Milton-03.jpg

From there, if I double Left-click "Trip to Milton" in the upper left window than it will re-open that trip for editing (click on it - may require a single or double click). To Alsen and Loma simple type "Alsen" into the "Search near Calio" window in the middle of the left window and select Alsen, ND from the drop-down list. This will add Alsen to the trip and should place it in between for you. If it does not than simply go to the entry in the trip and highlight it (click on it - may require a single or double click) if it isn't already highlighted, and you will see to the right of the place name up and down arrows which can be used to move the order of the routing.

That should result in a trip identical to this one below:
Calio-Milton-04.jpg

BTW, you'll note that the image above has the two waypoints as 30 minute stopovers. This is something that happens automatically. I believe it is setup within your preferences. Easy to adjust and I've been thinking of setting mine to 15 minutes to reflect the time I usually allot at gas stops for stretching and moving around. For places you don't want to stop but need to have imbedded to go a specific route, these can be set as "Shaping Points" (routing points that are not announced on the GPS) which I used to use but haven't for several months and so completely forget how to do it and will need to reacquaint myself when they're needed next. I'm just getting to old to remember everything. ;-)

Last edited:
Alan, this is an example...

I generated a route starting in Calio, going through Alsen and Loma and ending in Milton, but as I clicked on Loma, I got side tracked by doing something and it closed the route as can be seen in the bottom left window.

I then tried to continue from Loma to Milton, but it generated another 2nd route which can be seen in the bottom left window as well.

What I wanted to do is simply continue and add to the Calio - Loma route.

Another fast way:

Highlight both of you routes in the display panel lower left.

RT Click : Join routes

Hope this helps.

Trip Planner Forget it... learn to do you own routes

Hey guys,

I been using BaseCamp from the get go... IMO, and I stated in videos... to forget Trip Planner.... Learn to route your own routes... they are much more manageable !

To me, IMO, it like calling AAA to ask them to plan your vacations and routes.

Another fast way:

Highlight both of you routes in the display panel lower left.

RT Click : Join routes

Hope this helps.

Thanks Don, works perfectly.

There are so many options in the drop-down menus, its hard to register them all initially.

That is what I do most of the time.

However, if I'm wanting to use specific roads and areas, for me, it is easier to do so with the visual overlook provided by BaseCamp versus trying to identify all the details on the GPS itself.

For my trip to this year's National Rally I had specific areas that I wanted to ride through that required too many points to work by GPS input and many of those could be / were simply "Shaping Points" which I don't know how to create within my GPS which is when I resort to BaseCamp.

Do you know if there is a way create "Shaping Points" within Nav-V?

That is what I do most of the time.

However, if I'm wanting to use specific roads and areas, for me, it is easier to do so with the visual overlook provided by BaseCamp versus trying to identify all the details on the GPS itself.

For my trip to this year's National Rally I had specific areas that I wanted to ride through that required too many points to work by GPS input and many of those could be / were simply "Shaping Points" which I don't know how to create within my GPS which is when I resort to BaseCamp.

Do you know if there is a way create "Shaping Points" within Nav-V?

Think of Shaping Waypoints vs POI Waypoints.

Shaping Waypoints are created by BaseCamp and will not give notifications upon arrival.... a route of 50 miles could have 20 shaping waypoints....

POI Waypoints are created by the user and do give notification upon arrival...

If you open the route in the properties window.... you can make a shaping waypoint a POI Waypoint by clicking on it ... and naming and giving symbol.

Therefore I would assume that you create a route " on the fly" with your NAV V or my Zumo 660....there are many shaping waypoints created that are not seen...but if you where to load that track or route back to BaseCamp... you can view them in properties window.

I can't speak for Nav V , but with Zumo 660 you could create a Waypoint (POI) by entering on the touch keyboard. OR by touching the screen and save the point as Waypoint or Favorite.. then the option to make it a via point on the route if you are running a route.

In regard to Trip Planner, I understand your thinking....I am still thinking your activity profile settings are important as to route , road, conditions setting. Time of arrival and layover never been a factor to me...due to me flower sniffn along the way....or taking a different road that looks interesting. I whole other discussion but I use Google maps and "What here" feature to copy and paste coordinates to BaseCamp for my special selected stops...

I usual end up creating all the POI Waypoints of places I want to see or stop, created with BaseCamp and Google ... downloaded to my GPS... then I become a Waypoint to Waypoint rider... Everyone has a method that works for them...

Here is what I'm referring to by setting up "Shaping Points":
Calio-Milton-05.jpg
In this snapshot of the Advanced screen within the trip you can see that the middle two points have been switched to "won't alert" (Shaping Points).

This is done by going to the Advanced screen and Right-Clicking on the desired entry and selecting "Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping point)".
Calio-Milton-07.jpg

Which means that they also don't clutter up the route nor interrupt it.
Calio-Milton-06.jpg

I have no idea if there is anyway to do the same thing with a GPS itself such as the Nav-V, I've certainly not been able to find any way to do it.

Here is what I'm referring to by setting up "Shaping Points":
View attachment 58032
In this snapshot of the Advanced screen within the trip you can see that the middle two points have been switched to "won't alert" (Shaping Points).

This is done by going to the Advanced screen and Right-Clicking on the desired entry and selecting "Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping point)".
Which means that they also don't clutter up the route nor interrupt it.
View attachment 58033

I have no idea if there is anyway to do the same thing with a GPS itself such as the Nav-V, I've certainly not been able to find any way to do it.

I have friends that have the Nav V.... I do believe there is a SKIP feature...perhaps in the next turn window or icon.

According to this thread... there buttons you create on the NAV V to skip a waypoint... like I said... I know very little about NaV V.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...s-Experiment&p=1047777&viewfull=1#post1047777
If you're referring to Mark's post#8, than yes, but that's not at all a "shaping point". What Mark is referring to is how to delete a Waypoint while enroute to it (it is just a matter of selecting that icon to be one of the shortcut info icons that can be displayed on the map screen - which I have done for some time). I am referring to wanting/needing to create "shaping points" which is quite different from a waypoint.

Note: Unfortunately, Garmin now seems to mix and match the terms waypoint and via point. AFAIK, these are the same items but perhaps that is not the case.

BMW Navigator-V Manual page-8 said:
Trip Planner
A trip can consist of up to 29 via points and one final destination. Up to 50 shaping points can be included between each via point.

About Via Points
Via points are intermediate destinations within a trip. An orange flag indicates a via point on the map. A trip can contain up to 29 via points and one final destination. While navigating a trip, the device announces your arrival at each via point.

About Shaping Points
Shaping points are intermediate points between destinations or via points that can be used to shape the direction of your route. A blue dot indicates a shaping point on the map. You can have up to 50 shaping points between each destination or via point. While navigating, the device does not announce your arrival at each shaping point.
For me it is important to use shaping points for spots that are necessary to set the route that I want rather than doing a make-shift work-around of using a via point (waypoint) and deleting it when I get there or close to it. Part of the reason for that is that the GPS can/will show time to or distance to your next via points but not for shaping points. Therefore if you misuse via points for shaping points, your info on time/distance to your next stop (via point) becomes useless because it could just be a makeshift shaping point.

*** I've found directions to create shaping points in the Nav-V.
Once I found the info I realized that I did use this in the past and had forgotten it. Getting old and senile is no fun. ;-)
BMW Navigator-V Manual page-9 said:
Adding Points to a Trip
NOTE: Before you can add a shaping point, your trip must contain a start location, at least one via point, and a final destination.
While creating or editing a trip, any via point can be changed to a shaping point and any shaping point can be changed into a via point.
1 Select Apps > Trip Planner.
2 Select New Trip.
3 Select Select Start Location.
4 Search for a location (Finding a Location by Category).
5 Select Select.
6 Select "+" to add a final destination.
7 Select "+" to add at least one via point. - Via points are indicated by an orange flag.
8 If necessary, select the orange flag next to a via point to change it to a shaping point. - Shaping points are indicated by a blue dot.
9 Select Next.
10 Enter a name, and select Done.

Alan,

I guess I something to look forward to when I move forward from my Zumo 660...

Just a side note.. I actually spend the night in Bedford NS and passed thru a couple times.... looking forward to returning to NS one more time...

Don

... I actually spend the night in Bedford NS and passed thru a couple times.... looking forward to returning to NS one more time...

Don, please give us a heads-up if you do return and we'll try to set-up a Club Ride with you if the timing works. Every year typically, either the last weekend in September or the first weekend in October we do our "Fall Colours" ride around the Cabot Trail, sometimes do that ride twice in the year.

Certainly a good chance that one or two members might at least be able to ride a bit with you along your route and we have members all throughout the province who are happy provide local insight into roads, attractions, etc.

Also, we have our weekly get together every Thursday evening (6pm-?) at The Chicken Burger which has been hosting motorcyclists since the 1940's! Thursday nights are our BMW Club, BMWONS and our Vintage club, AVMS with the Ducati Club showing up sometimes. Almost every other night of the week is different car clubs.

We had a big turnout last week with 30-40 bikes, usually only about a dozen.
IMG_20160818_1912479.jpg
IMG_20160818_1914036.jpg

Attachments

• Road into Cheticamp NS.jpg
    Road into Cheticamp NS.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 4,134

Hope this helps!

Don, I got it to work today. Strange, I tried so many times and did nothing different and all of a sudden, bingo, it works. :scratch

All paper maps that I have, have a map legend.

How about Garmin maps? I checked all the drop-down menus and didn't find one.

Like what does this mean? I have a pretty good idea, but if I am right, then the road marking is wrong and this using CN NA 2017.2. :scratch

Road.jpg

All paper maps that I have, have a map legend.

How about Garmin maps? I checked all the drop-down menus and didn't find one.

Like what does this mean? I have a pretty good idea, but if I am right, then the road marking is wrong and this using CN NA 2017.2. :scratch

View attachment 58370
It means pavement ends. Road is now a dirt road. If you find a legend, please tell me. The only reference you get to what it actually is, is if you go in Edit/Options/Activity Profile/Select the features to be displayed and deselect unpaved.

2016-09-18 15_28_53-Displayed Features.png

Yes, Garmin's maps aren't accurate in some areas. From what I understand, they purchase map base from Navtec or whatever they're called now. Navtec works from satellite imaging and aerial photography.
My understanding is that they only buy areas that have reported changes. It's cheaper this way. Old roads that were at some point unpaved, misinterpreted or misreported won't get updated unless someone does report the error. My experience with them is that it can take up to four years before you see "new" roads or corrections.

Back