• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Learn Garmin BaseCamp Tutorial Videos

I was very impressed in your videos by the way you organize stuff using a hierarchy of folders and lists. For the large number of items you have, there really is no other way. Very nice concepts which I suspect took you a while to figure out. I may not do quite as elaborate a system.

One thing I did notice on your maps - the number of curvy roads, compared the the rather strong grid here in Southern Ontario. We must be hugely more flat. Which is good for a farmer, not so much for a rider! :dance

The latest version of Basecamp has the Curvy Road feature, as does the NAV V. In Basecamp, I have made 3 profiles based on Motorcycling to do routing based on the traditional Faster, Shorter and now Curvy. That produces quite different routes for me and I will need to experiment more. May try a Curvy plus no main highways, no interstates combo and see what happens.

Anyway, thanks to your videos, I will be using Basecamp from now on.

Thanks for comments, yes been in Ontario a few times and agree...I think I saw 600 ft elevation up around Minden, nice riding and great views of all the lakes.

Don, I just wanted to thank you for all the effort you put forth in making these Tutorials. It's an Intimadating Program!

After going through all of them about four times I am beginning to get the hang of it.

Question: You mention "Discussuions" a couple of times. Are these on line, and if so, where can they be found?

Thanks Again,
Rod

Rod, the discussions and other info is located on Delphi forum : forums.delphiforums.com/garminbasecamp/start
A free forum...the folders are to the left and click on folder heading to open the contents... it's a hard to navigate at first.

Thanks for your comments...as I have said several times... the purpose was to get folks over the learning curve...

Maybe this winter, I can find time to sit down and update and create a few more videos for the updates.

My SD card format is Exfat will this work in the Nav V? I am planning to copy my music on it

Sorry not sure about Exfat, however quick search on google revealed ways to convert to another Format Fat32 for example...maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge.

Exfat not supported

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...quipment/navigation2014/faq/faq_overview.html

There is quite a bit of info at the above link.

For exfat, they say:

Is it possible to extend the memory in the BMW Motorrad Navigator V?
Yes. The unit is fitted with a microSD slot for cards of up to 64GB (SDXC card). This memory can be used both for additional cards and for storing MP3s. Please ensure that SD cards are FAT32 formatted. The exFAT format is not supported.

That is the BMW advice.

Using memory Card

Is there a way to do a map update directly to my computer and memory card without the update going to my Nav V's internal storage?
I posed this question to garmin help and I have coppied and pasted there answer:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to address your question about memory management on your BMW Navigator V.

When you connect your device to the computer and run the Garmin Express program, the program will actually manage your memory for you. It will calculate how much memory will be available after it removes the old maps, compare that to the size of the new maps, and if they no longer will fit on the device, the program will confirm that you want to use the SD Card. Once you answer yes, to use the SD Card, the current, and all future updates will go to the SD Card.

There is no way to have Express send these maps to the SD Card until it has determined that the device will not accept the maps.

I only have 1.65Gig left on the device and the current update is 5.50 Gig. I would rather not fill up the device and have the rest go to memory card. I'm affraid the unit will operate VERY SLOWLY as my old Zumo 550 did

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...quipment/navigation2014/faq/faq_overview.html

There is quite a bit of info at the above link.

For exfat, they say:

Is it possible to extend the memory in the BMW Motorrad Navigator V?
Yes. The unit is fitted with a microSD slot for cards of up to 64GB (SDXC card). This memory can be used both for additional cards and for storing MP3s. Please ensure that SD cards are FAT32 formatted. The exFAT format is not supported.

That is the BMW advice.

Having just bought a BMW Motorrad Navigator V and then a 64 Gb microSD card that the unit is supposed to accept, but doesn't because all cards larger than 32 Gb come exFAT formatted, I am disappointed that Garmin does not have an easy solution to formatting these cards.

I called Garmin and their response was..."we do not supply any formatting software for download...that is up to the customer to source". So where exactly can I buy a FAT32 formatted 64 Gb microSD card that you say your unit takes. The Verbatim download that is commonly used didn't work for me...returned the 64Gb card and got a 32 Gb card instead.

Hello Don,

I am slowly going through your tutorials and converting from my usual use of Mapsource to BaseCamp which I find frustrating due to my unfamiliarity (learning curve) with it at the moment.

I still use Mapsource when I need to do something "now", the trouble is, it does not see my new BMW Motorrad Navigator V when I click Receive From Device and then Find Device. Mapsource sees all my other three Garmin units. :scratch

Any ideas?

Having just bought a BMW Motorrad Navigator V and then a 64 Gb microSD card that the unit is supposed to accept, but doesn't because all cards larger than 32 Gb come exFAT formatted, I am disappointed that Garmin does not have an easy solution to formatting these cards.

I called Garmin and their response was..."we do not supply any formatting software for download...that is up to the customer to source". So where exactly can I buy a FAT32 formatted 64 Gb microSD card that you say your unit takes. The Verbatim download that is commonly used didn't work for me...returned the 64Gb card and got a 32 Gb card instead.
Garmin doesn't have to provide software to format your SD card, Windows already has that built in.

Garmin doesn't have to provide software to format your SD card, Windows already has that built in.

Maybe an older Windows version, but Windows 10 formats in NTFS and exFAT only. Even 7 and Vista doesn't according to my friend who I called.

Maybe an older Windows version, but Windows 10 formats in NTFS and exFAT only. Even 7 and Vista doesn't according to my friend who I called.
Sorry about that. Either in windows or in Admin command mode but there is a 32GB limitation by default. FAT32 was invented in days when 32 GB was considered huge.
You can get free utilities:
Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOkHajz3ug
This one is even easier, no installation required. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxgghEl5Xk

Last edited:
BMW Navigator V - Downlaoded Wapoints

I have 3 other Garmin units and they are all easy...intuitive to use. But not the BMW Navigator V. :banghead

I have loaded some waypoints to my BMW Navigator V. They are there according to BaseCamp.

Where do you find them on the GPS. Normally I'd go to Favorites or Waypoints on any other Garmin that I have, and there they are to select and use.

Any help and tips appreciated. Thanks! By the way, I watched lesson 2 and 8 which I thought would deal with my question.

EDITED: not official, but it appears waypoints can only be placed in the Internal Storage folder and not on the microSD memory card. Unless there is a way to have the GPS source waypoint information from the microSD card.

It makes me wonder what the purpose of the microSD card is. Just to store other maps and MP3s? Garmin must have hired software people from Microsoft.

EDITED AGAIN: I have it all sorted out. Wrote up a set of instructions: Storing Waypoints on the MicroSD Memory Card within the BMW Motorrad Navigator V and then importing them to Internal Storage.

Attachments

• BMW Navigator V - 1.jpg
    BMW Navigator V - 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,896
Last edited:
Here is a good one.

I generated a route (call it A to B) and then another (B to A). The routes are identical other than one being in reverse.

Yet when you look at each, they are both routing in the same direction (A to B)...so you look at route B to A and invert it so that it matches what I want to do and then route A to B is backwards and showing the B to A routing.

Go figure!

Not sure why Alex, but none of this seems to go in a straightforward manner once we try to do anything other than simple tasks. I've always figured that it was just because I'd hit my head too many times and am getting dense, but it seems most others have the same frustrations. :-(

I've had some success (unfortunately only sporadic) by setting a route in BaseCamp, opening it up then going to "Advanced" and in the lower right corner hitting the "invert" icon. YMMV - certainly mine does wildly.

Not sure why Alex, but none of this seems to go in a straightforward manner once we try to do anything other than simple tasks. I've always figured that it was just because I'd hit my head too many times and am getting dense, but it seems most others have the same frustrations. :-(

I've had some success (unfortunately only sporadic) by setting a route in BaseCamp, opening it up then going to "Advanced" and in the lower right corner hitting the "invert" icon. YMMV - certainly mine does wildly.

I'll try that. Edited to add: I already tried that by clicking on the route (does the same as going to Advanced) and it does not work.

I've also just posted on the Garmin forums.

I am sure it is possible, but once a route has been generated, how do you extend it. This happens when I do something on the screen an the route considers itself completed, when in fact, I am not done yet. The trouble is, in the 15 years I've used a GPS, it has always been used for other purposes and I've never used it for routing or generated a route.

Last edited:
...but once a route has been generated, how do you extend it. This happens when I do something on the screen an the route considers itself completed, when in fact, I am not done yet...
Do you mean extend the route within a particular day, or add a day?

Do you mean extend the route within a particular day, or add a day?

I was generating a route, say A to E, and while clicking on points, say A to B to C, I end up doing something in BaseCamp that gets me out of the route and then the route is set...except I wanted to continue onto D and E. This on a day trip going in one direction.

Alex, if I'm understanding it right, for me, when I've got a trip open the left panel shows the Day (Date IIRC, if a date is selected for the trip) and the starting point and destination(s).

To add one one to an existing route (Trip) I enter it in the bottom window of that left panel below "Search along route". Once that is entered, found and selected, it is placed at the end of your waypoints and when I click on it I then have the ability to move it up or down in the order using the appropriate arrows and using the clock (between those arrows) to set the type of routing preference (Motorcycling/Motorcycling Curvy/Custom) as well as arrival, departure, and layover times.

Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

Back