• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Learn Garmin BaseCamp Tutorial Videos

Amazing Videos and a question

I am working my way through these incredible videos, so much info here.

I have a question that I have yet to get answered in the videos. When I plan a route on Basecamp and then load it into the Nav V sometimes the Nav V recalculates the route that I just created. I'm thinking that if the Navigation setting that I used to create the route in Basecamp is not the same as the setting in the Nav V it recalculates. Makes sense to me but can someone confirm that for me. Sorry for the basic question.

Thanks in advance

HW

I am working my way through these incredible videos, so much info here.

I have a question that I have yet to get answered in the videos. When I plan a route on Basecamp and then load it into the Nav V sometimes the Nav V recalculates the route that I just created. I'm thinking that if the Navigation setting that I used to create the route in Basecamp is not the same as the setting in the Nav V it recalculates. Makes sense to me but can someone confirm that for me. Sorry for the basic question.

Thanks in advance

HW

The maps on Basecamp and your NAV must be the same edition, preferences must also be the same. Per the instruction for "setup" from NER, on both Basecamp and the NAV, turn all preferences off... I have been using this with my NAV VI, on many custom routes, it works perfectly, I have never had a "recalculate" on the NAV after downloading a route from Basecamp... Hope this helps....

Thank you.

I didn’t realize that I could turn the route preferences off. That makes total sense. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I didn’t realize that I could turn the route preferences off. That makes total sense. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the NER tutorial, read again the first few pages where they tell you how to setup Basecamp and the GPS..... I think you will find that will solve your issues....

Basecamp waypoints and Garmin Nav IV

First of all, thanks for the Basecamp tutorials, they are really useful. I have found using the software itself is fairly straightforward and I have been able to plot several routes using the software and transfer them to my Garmin. Something I have noticed though, is that my Garmin doesn't always register when I am passing one of my designated waypoints. I'm always very careful to make sure I set the waypoint in the right direction (i.e. on the right side of the road) but when I ride, the Garmin doesn't always seems to register that I've crossed it. Then, as we all know, the Garmin will try to get us back to that waypoint by u-turns etc. SO, a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
2. Is this caused by something I'm doing or not doing when I plan the route?
3. Is there a way to override a waypoint and move on to the next one when on a ride? (Pulling off the road to do this of course)

TIA for any helps and tips.

First of all, thanks for the Basecamp tutorials, they are really useful. I have found using the software itself is fairly straightforward and I have been able to plot several routes using the software and transfer them to my Garmin. Something I have noticed though, is that my Garmin doesn't always register when I am passing one of my designated waypoints. I'm always very careful to make sure I set the waypoint in the right direction (i.e. on the right side of the road) but when I ride, the Garmin doesn't always seems to register that I've crossed it. Then, as we all know, the Garmin will try to get us back to that waypoint by u-turns etc. SO, a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?
2. Is this caused by something I'm doing or not doing when I plan the route?
3. Is there a way to override a waypoint and move on to the next one when on a ride? (Pulling off the road to do this of course)

TIA for any helps and tips.

I'm not sure about the Nav IV but the Nav V and VI you can skip the waypoint. There is a button that can be added to the screen or you can browse the options. https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=6bnVCGlxpF1EwtG0UZraC6

Garmin BaseCamp Tutorials

Below is a link to my YouTube tutorials on using Garmin BaseCamp effectively. I got tired of trying to find answers to questions on BaseCamp that I could not find answers too. I created a series of 6 lessons. They are not professional quality, and a couple may be long, but I think you can learn a great deal on how to use Garmin BaseCamp. It has a steep learning curve, but I take a lot of the work and agony out of figuring it all out.

If you enjoy the video's, please "Like" and Click on the "Bell" to get notifications of future episodes. Also, if you have any questions, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I am a MOA member and ride a K1600GTL out of Las Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qP7b7W7vM&t=19s

Below is a link to my YouTube tutorials on using Garmin BaseCamp effectively. I got tired of trying to find answers to questions on BaseCamp that I could not find answers too. I created a series of 6 lessons. They are not professional quality, and a couple may be long, but I think you can learn a great deal on how to use Garmin BaseCamp. It has a steep learning curve, but I take a lot of the work and agony out of figuring it all out.

If you enjoy the video's, please "Like" and Click on the "Bell" to get notifications of future episodes. Also, if you have any questions, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I am a MOA member and ride a K1600GTL out of Las Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qP7b7W7vM&t=19s

I think you or someone should mention somewhere in either this writeup or on your YouTube site that your BaseCamp Videos are for the Mac Version of BaseCamp. It is not the same as the Windows Version of BaseCamp.
I do very much think there is a need for videos on both versions, Don's videos are for the Windows version. The tools work different and the filing system is also different between the two versions.

Are any of these videos still available because this is all I get when I click on the URL...

YT.jpg

Doesn’t look like they are currently available. Norwood (Don) hasn’t been around for a while. If anyone has contact with him, maybe pass this along.

OM

Does anyone at the BMW MOA have his membership number and did he renew? I hope he is alright. He put an enormous amount of work into that tutorial which I have used in the past now and then, but I tend to forget many of the "how-to" procedures.

Does anyone at the BMW MOA have his membership number and did he renew? I hope he is alright. He put an enormous amount of work into that tutorial which I have used in the past now and then, but I tend to forget many of the "how-to" procedures.

Currently looking into this.

OM

Currently looking into this.

OM

Edit- I have done some tracking on the videos and see this-

NOTE September 2022:
It appears Google has locked these videos as "Private", perhaps because their system believes there's a problem with the description or tags that are entered for the video.

Still investigating.

Garmon GPS Question

I just got back from a long tour and use my Garmin 60Cx GPS to track log my daily trips by going to Tracks, Setup, Data Card Setup where I can see my daily.gpx files.

I also go to my Setup, Interface, USB Mass Storage where I can load that file to my PC with the following files...

• Garmin folder with a single file: gmapsupp.img and a whopping 2,585,472 KB. What does this gmapsupp.img file do? I tried opening it, but it was corrupted.
  • daily.gpx files.

gmapsupp.img is contains all the map data. "The Garmin .img format is what Garmin devices use to store the maps for its GPS units. The img files contain a header and many subfiles."

It is not corrupt, though a computer might think it is. The ".img" extension is also used for files that contain an exact copy (image) of a CD or DVD. Even in that context, the file might be considered corrupt if it is read by a different program from the the one that made the copy.

Looking at all my folders of previous tours over the years, I must have deleted that folder and file. I just use MapSource and open each .gpx file.

Back