• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure System Possible Malfunction

sunseekr5

I have a 2008 R1200 GSA with the tire pressure monitoring system. Although the tires are correctly inflated when I first start out on a ride everything is fine. Approximately 10-15 minutes into riding the tire pressure system alerts that both from and rear tires have no tire pressure. The yellow warning light illuminates and on the gauge the pressures read as dashes. After another 20 minutes and sometimes a stop or two it resets itself and everything is fine.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for your help.

When I had my recent tire incident, the warning was flashing RED triangle. Your yellow triangle is likely notification of a system problem, probably battery.

Thank you.

Thanks to all for the advice on the tire pressure issue. Here is a good one: The dealer was not aware that the sensors had batteries. ;)

i had a similar problem with my front TPMS sender....2013 RT.....apparently the sender and receiver can have a slight hiccup.....took it to BMW MC of Long Beach and they re-flashed the sender and receiver...all is good now....and i asked about the NON-changeable batteries....response was it is impossible to seal the sender....

Here's a little engineering information based on my experience in the USA nuclear weapon complex.

There's such a thing as a "certified part."

Certified means the actual engineers that designed the part have visited the supplier that produces the part, observed the process, possibly participated in assembler personnel training and surely in designing the assembly process, tested a valid sample of the output, and perhaps set up an ongoing test program.

The TPMS sensor is a critical safety-related component, and to design them in any fashion that would allow shade-tree mechanics or other near blacksmiths to maintain them, such as replacing batteries, simply does not compute in the world of real engineering. It's replace with another part only. I'm sure this is BMW's position as regards the old whizzy ABS pumps, too. Those now offering repair service better have good liability insurance. Do you want to be rich but injured?

So, before grousing about the cost of this, consider the service you've been provided by these processes.

Back