• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch Handlebar Lever Questions - 2008 R1200RT

Dimond

Couple of 'lever' questions for 2008 R1200RT:

1) Does the CLUTCH lever 'trigger' any switches when it is pulled? If so, what? And how far must the lever be pulled to engage the 'switch'?

2) I am looking for a knock-off set of levers (clutch and brake) on Ebay but can not seem to locate any for my 2008 R1200RT (see lots for other R models and some for later year R1200RTs). The titles for many lever sets state R1200RT but when I go to the specific model list the 2008 R1200RT model is NOT LISTED. Hoping someone can provide me with a link on eBay for a knock-off (or a set at an attractive price) lever set for a 2008 R1200 RT? Thanks.

If bike's in gear clutch must be pulled in order to start it. This is a switch function

But is there a switch directly actuated by the lever? Could be a pressure switch actuated by the master or slave cylinders. :dunno

There was a mechanical switch on my '05 GS, but an '05 is not an '08 and a GS is not an RT.

But is there a switch directly actuated by the lever? Could be a pressure switch actuated by the master or slave cylinders. :dunno

There was a mechanical switch on my '05 GS, but an '05 is not an '08 and a GS is not an RT.

Yes there is a switch. Yes it is directly activated by the lever.

Thanks, Paul.

Then the answer to the second part of the first question will be the same as it was on my 'GS.... listen closely with ear close to the perch as you slowly depress the clutch lever. You will hear a click as the switch changes state. For a more exact answer borrow a GS-911 and monitor the real time value of the clutch switch as you change the clutch lever.

The switch position (on my GS, assuming it is the same on your RT) was adjustable. It may not be adjusted perfectly. It wasn't on my bike, resulting in the switch not changing state until the lever was almost touching the bars.

Back